How do you prefer your steak?

Equus

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 03:32 pm
How do you prefer your steak cooked, and why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 6,178 • Replies: 49
No top replies

steissd

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 03:35 pm
I like well done, but I cannot explain why...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 03:39 pm
Medium rare for good quality steak. Why ruin it?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 03:49 pm
Medium rare. Actually, I would like rare, but I think that it is prudent to pass the steak over the fire to kill the germs! Very Happy
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 04:22 pm
I like it done enough to know there's nothing alive that can make me sick, not rare but closer to medium juicy. Thinking I'll have to bbq now! Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 04:34 pm
vegetarian.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 04:49 pm
Grey all the way through.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 04:50 pm
dawg gone it! I knew L'k was a veggie
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 04:54 pm
roger - grey?

I'm not really a vegie, just don't eat beef, chicken, pork.... let's put it this way, I eat turkey (not that often) and fish.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 05:36 pm
I want to go to Capital Grille now...
Just don't want to pay for it.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 02:24 am
Medium well. I guess I just like it better that way and I grew up being taught that meat needs to be cooked on the well side to kill anything lurking.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 02:25 am
LOL Roger!
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 12:01 pm
I'm pleased to see so many on the well side. I thought I was strange. I am aware that gourmands seem to prefer medium rare, but I am squeamish at the sight of red squishy stuff. I gotta have it well done. I'll accept medium well in a pinch; but I get nauseasted watching people eat steaks rare. Makes me think I'm watching a nature film on lions feeding during the wildebeest migration.

It's a choice- do you want to die from carcinogens in burnt meat? Or would you rather die from deadly bacteria in under-cooked meat? (Or vegetarians die from protein deficiency?)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 12:21 pm
Well, you asked about steak, not ground beef. I only eat burgers are at least medium well, you have to cook them to an internal temp of 160 to kill any bacteria that may have contaminated the meat during the grinding process.

Steak on the other hand, it's extroadinarily unlikely that the inside of the steak is contaminated. When you cook it, you kill any bacteria that may exist on the surface. Do you know that the aged beef they serve at steakhouses is a couple days away from rotting? Oddly, that's what makes it taste so much better than the beef you buy at the supermarket.

So, eat your rare/medium rare steaks and enjoy. Burp!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 01:40 pm
cjhsa - the contamination can happen during the butchering too.... right?

Protien deficiency? Nope, maybe an iron deficiency or from lack of hemoglobins or whatever they're called.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 01:43 pm
Actually, little k, I heard that the ecoli problems were largely with ground beef. Well, that's a fictional reference - Robin Cook's 'Contagion'. Better than no reference at all, huh?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 01:44 pm
And, I was thinking, the contamination would be on the outside - the part that DOES get cooked.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 03:19 pm
Correct, that is why you almost never hear of anyone getting sick from eating steak, unless, of course, it is rotten.

For those that must have undercooked hamburgers, and some really like them that way, they can lower their risk by grinding their own beef from steaks that have been washed. Better yet, irradiated, but that's another issue.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 04:08 pm
Well, I've pretty much stopped eating beef, but back when I did, I loved steaks MEDIUM RARE. Bring on the red, squishy steak. As long as it was warm through, I didn't care about it being cooked. Just tasted so much better than when it was "gray." Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 07:07 pm
bring me a blue steak. as a friend of mine used to say - introduce it to the flame, but don't let it shake hands. as a teenager i loved steak tartare. now, if it's ground meat, i'll have it medium-medium.
0 Replies