Fahrenheit 9/11 wins favorite movie award at People's Choice

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 01:50 am
Fahrenheit 9/11 wins favorite movie award at People's Choice
Jan 9, 11:38 PM (ET)

PASADENA, Calif. (AP) - Two controversial films that defied the odds to earn millions at the box office joined a familiar green ogre to take top honors at the 31st Annual People's Choice Awards on Sunday.

The Michael Moore film "Fahrenheit 9/11," which took a critical look at President Bush's actions after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, won the favorite movie award, while Mel Gibson's explicit "The Passion of the Christ" won in the favorite drama category.

Moore dedicated his win to the U.S. troops fighting overseas and said he was "amazed" that people voted his film their favorite.

"I love making movies and I'll take this as an invitation to make more 'Fahrenheit 9/11s,'" Moore said.

Gibson echoed Moore's appreciation, saying the award "means a lot more to me this time than anything before."

"I depended on you and you were there," Gibson said. "If it wasn't for you guys, we would have been dead in the water."

The animated "Shrek 2" swept a number of categories, being named favorite comedy, favorite sequel and favorite animated movie.

The character of Donkey in "Shrek 2," voiced by Eddie Murphy, was named favorite animated movie star, while the Fairy Godmother, voiced by Jennifer Saunders, won in the favorite movie villain category.

Perennial favorites took many of the top awards, including many of this year's new categories. Julia Roberts and Johnny Depp won for favorite female and male movie star. Matt LeBlanc and Marg Helgenberger won for favorite male and female TV stars.

"Will & Grace," won for favorite TV comedy. "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" was named favorite TV drama.

After votes cast via the Internet during the first hour of the live telecast were counted, "Joey" was named favorite new TV comedy, while "Desperate Housewives" won for favorite new TV drama.

The People's Choice Awards, hosted by Jason Alexander and Malcolm-Jamal Warner, were presented at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium and broadcast on CBS. The awards covered 38 film, television and music categories, including a number of new ones.

The nominations were determined by editors at Entertainment Weekly, the People's Choice production team and a panel of pop culture fans. Winners were determined by Internet voting.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,146 • Replies: 122
No top replies

couzz

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 08:26 am
"F 9/11" deserved to win the People's Choice Award. It was the boldest and most passionate film of 2004. The film connected to the people and it's fitting they voted it their favorite movie.

It is interesting to note it was not a feel good movie and that Hollywood under estimates it's audience a good deal of the time.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 08:31 am
I didn't like it. Bowling for Columbine was a good film; of course it was biased but not as obviously as 9/11. 9/11 was too whiney. Cry cry, I'm Michael Moore and I want attention. Just didn't strike me like Bowling did.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 08:54 am
I liked 9/11 because ( even though i agree with you kristie! ) it wasnt hollywood fluff. It was real things in real life and the information that was given was simple things ANYONE can get ahold of.
Of course, i dont like bush so there are other reasons I liked the movie.
I hav e not seen bowling for columbine?????????

And DONKEY is my FAVORITE animated character.
"Im a noble steed! You here that?? she called me a noble steed. ":-)
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 09:30 am
http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/puke.gif
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 09:59 am
shewolfnm wrote:
I liked 9/11 because ( even though i agree with you kristie! ) it wasnt hollywood fluff. It was real things in real life and the information that was given was simple things ANYONE can get ahold of.
Of course, i dont like bush so there are other reasons I liked the movie.
I hav e not seen bowling for columbine?????????

And DONKEY is my FAVORITE animated character.
"Im a noble steed! You here that?? she called me a noble steed. ":-)

You should see it. Regarding the shooting at Columbine High School and the problem with guns in america and trying to figure out why we all keep shooting each other.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 10:07 am
The phenominal thing is the movie won out over two box office block busters, Shrek II and Spiderman II. I'm laughing at those who reveal themselves by hating Michael Moore. It's awfully dark up there in Dubya's rear end.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 10:15 am
Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 10:18 am
Ticomaya wrote:

the people chose...bush is president...we should stop whining about it....the people chose Fahrenheit 9/11 Tico....take your own advice..... :wink:
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 10:22 am
Lightwizard wrote:
The phenominal thing is the movie won out over two box office block busters, Shrek II and Spiderman II. I'm laughing at those who reveal themselves by hating Michael Moore. It's awfully dark up there in Dubya's rear end.

I don't hate Michael Moore. I just think he was a whiner in 9/11. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 10:24 am
Wizard:

Don't let the anti-Moore people get to you. I don't know what their worried about--they got their man in.

I am waiting with great expectations for MM's film on the medical insurance industry. No one else in this country is working full time on how political and corporate decisions effect the common man.
0 Replies

Zane

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 10:57 am
From Yahoo News:

Moore dedicated Sunday's win to the U.S. troops fighting overseas and said he was "amazed" that people voted his film their favorite. "I love making movies and I'll take this as an invitation to make more 'Fahrenheit 9/11s,'" Moore said.

[Mel] Gibson echoed Moore's appreciation, saying the award "means a lot more to me this time than anything before."

"I depended on you and you were there," Gibson said. "If it wasn't for you guys, we would have been dead in the water."

Ugh. Poor choice of words, in the aftermath of the tsunami.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 12:15 pm
Lightwizard wrote:

0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 12:16 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

the people chose...bush is president...we should stop whining about it....the people chose Fahrenheit 9/11 Tico....take your own advice..... :wink:

Who's whining? ... I'm nauseous.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 12:21 pm
these are the same awards that gave a statue to best hair...lol...but the people have spoken ROFLMAO....
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 12:33 pm
http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/ap/PEOPLES_CHOICE.sff_CADB122_20050109225506.jpg

Now I will auction off my award. Let's start with one Big Mac. Two! Do I hear three?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 12:47 pm
http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/happy/mcdonplus.gif
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 12:58 pm
hahahaha.

So, am i the only one in this world who is wondering how MM is still alive???
I mean COME ON... there has to be a bounty on his head in the 12 digit range!!! Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 01:04 pm
Love that pic. He is just soooooo Michigan. I work with a lot of guys in the trucking industry there - and they all look like that when they clean up. Love it.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 01:06 pm
Hey, I'm from Michigan, and I don't look anything like that, thank God.
0 Replies