http://boston.com/dailynews/048/nation/21_dead_in_Chicago_nightclub_s:.shtml
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,364 • Replies: 9
No top replies

steissd

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 01:22 pm
The fact that the doors in the club were locked, and this led to human casualties makes the place owners eligible to both criminal prosecution (for negligence that led to human deaths) and civil lawsuits. By the way, while the probability of ther terror attack remains high, it is necessary to enforce fire code regarding additional doors: in case of terror attack locked doors may increase number of casualties. IMHO, the tragedy in Chicago has nothing to do with terror, however.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 01:29 pm
The locked doors were a Fire Code Violation. Now, the Fire Dept will have to check the Inspector's report and see if these violations were ever noted before.

This is a constant threat to people's lives. Seems people don't have enough common sense to not lock all the doors. There were about 2000+ people at the club when it happened. I know that area of Chicago very well.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 03:02 am
I agree with Steissd. This should have never happened!
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 08:37 am
The media and the govt also have a huge responsability in this tragic event. Because of their constant terror warnings people live in fear and have a wrong reaction when frightening and unexpected events occur.

This is what an eyewitness writes on BBC World "Talking Point"

"I was at the club, the people were scared because someone said it was a terrorist gas attack.
Brad James, USA"
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 09:01 am
At this point in time, the facts are a bit strange. Yesterday, I read the Chicago Tribune online and the Trib said that the security guards shot the mace at two women having a fight. This morning I read in the NYTimes, that the two women having the fight, were the mace shooters ( at least one of them ).

2000 dancers in the Club at 3 am sounds like a a very lively party.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 03:51 pm
Unfortunately, it turned into a very deadly party!
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 03:52 pm
I agree that if it wasn't for all these terror scares, people wouldn't be in such a state of panic.
0 Replies

ferrous

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 08:42 am
Fire Codes
There has been rumors that Jessie Jackson had represented the club owner in some legal or advisory way, as for the reasons that the code violations had not been strictly enforced. Anyone hear anymore about this?

That upper club level, was supposed to be colsed.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 06:58 pm
The liquor license let the Club stay open till 4 a.m.
0 Replies