Remove mango stains - any suggestions?

margo

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 12:59 pm
I've managed to slurp mango juice down the front of my new shirt.

It's mostly cotton, with something else (?spandex) to make it a bit stretchy. It's white with a very fine black and pink stripe.

Any suggestions? Stain remover didn't help.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 13,224 • Replies: 29
No top replies

ul

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 02:13 pm
Nothing can beat the taste and pleasure of a real ripe mango.
I am not sure that my suggestion will help you- if you can iron your shirt very hot the discoloring might go away. It worked with linnen napkins.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 02:16 pm
ul wrote:
you can iron your shirt very hot the discoloring might go away. It worked with linnen napkins.

That will work really fine, especially, when you like dark-brown as favourite colour!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 02:18 pm
You could dip the whole shirt in mango juice...
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 02:20 pm
ironing, Walter, not burning.

On the other hand the best result in removing a mango stain is using a pair of scissors.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 02:27 pm
Don't know if you have Oxy Clean-like products in Oz. That would definitely get it out. Don't wash it until you have found this product. Soak it in some cold water while you run to the store. I'll see if I can find a link to Oxy Clean.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 02:29 pm
Here is the product link http://www.oxicleanpro.com/oxiclean.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 02:44 pm
Similar stuff to Oxy Clean works as well :wink:
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 03:00 pm
Bummer about the stain, Margo. Doncha know, that's why we eat over a sink?

In my How-to-Clean-Everything book it says... for fruit or fruit juice stains... stretch the fabric over a basin and pour boiling hot water directly onto the stain from "a height." It also recommends rubbing the stain with glycerin, leaving that on for an hour, then pouring the hot water through it.

My favorite cleaning agent is to dilute whatever it is with cold water and then use a laundry additive called Simple Green. I spray it on, then scrub gently with an old toothbrush, over and over. Usually works for food. For other stuff, I use something called Goof-Off. I've even successfully cleaned a cashmere sweater with 'em when the dry cleaners couldn't clean the stain.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 10:36 am
dry cleaners are paranoid normally... but do you really blame them.

I am good at peach stains normally. They are hard to get out too; or cherries.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 10:37 am
I'm having childhood flashbacks jumping on mulberries on a nasty neighbours driveway...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 01:37 pm
There are mulberries in Australia?

I remember being very young and sitting in a mulberry tree in Iowa. It was a great tree to climb in, but the fruit was almost tasteless. I remember thinking (as a happy tree-climber) how unfair it was that the fruit wasn't better.

Have also been reading that mango stains cannot be removed. How's it going there, Margo?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 06:51 pm
Piffka, Wher in Iowa? We ate many mulberries when I was growing up. I loved them. Now when I taste them as an adult, they are pretty bland. But then I hated raspberries when I was young. Love them now.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 07:36 pm
I had already washed the shirt, and it was hanging on the clothes line, when I noticed the mango stains.

They are notoriously difficult to remove - and I've had to abandon some items before. I wear a special mango-stained t-shirt to make the mango chutney, so that any more stains don't matter!

At present, I have the beasty soaking in some sort of enzyme cleaner, which, I suspect is similar to the Oxy thing of Swimpy's

I really am a slow learner!

Thanks, all!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 09:14 pm
Swimpy, my mom grew up in Ogden, Iowa... and that mulberry tree was there. I remember it as quite tall (probably wasn't) and it had very smooth bark, not rough or full of pitch like fir trees. It was great!

As a kid one of my favorite fruits was lemon, so you can imagine how little taste I found in mulberries.

I've used that Oxy-stuff... pretty good on laundry. The websites I read all seemed to say mango stains were particularly difficult to get rid of. Also, that mango was related to sumac, including poison oak and ivy, and that many people developed severe rashs if they had prolonged contact with the mango skins. I'd never noticed anything like that, but I am not a big mango eater. They are not that inexpensive or readily available here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 09:16 pm
I'm thinking you could start a mango bib company..
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 09:51 pm
Ah, fond memories of climbing into the mulberry tree just at the corner of the front pasture. (Noblesville, Indiana) When I had my fill of mulberries, I went to the apple tree if the fruit was still little and green. Amazing what my stomach can take to this day.

I recommend Krud Cutter for everything, but I'm not sure you have it there. Removes EVERYTHING I have ever used it on, including cleaning tubs and grout, tar, oil, grass stain, paint, blood, etc. Truly a miracle product.
0 Replies

crisscross

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 02:58 am
Margo

As a good Aussie, I am shocked that you do not know that the only way to eat a mango is to sit naked in the bathtub!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 08:08 pm
crisscross wrote:
Margo

As a good Aussie, I am shocked that you do not know that the only way to eat a mango is to sit naked in the bathtub!

Razz Very Happy I know that - but I had a mango attack as I got home from work - and thought I was being careful! Rolling Eyes

It looks like the stains may have come out using a triple dose of the enzyme thingy - but the stripes seems to have faded a bit - waiting to check it outside.

I really am a slow learner! Embarrassed
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 09:04 pm
I am going to remember to eat the next mango I have while in the bath... though, errrr... wouldn't the shower work as well?

Honestly, I've looked at some of the mango websites and it is a shock. Those suckers are hard to eat & the seed is just too weird.
0 Replies