If Americans oppose the US-Israel alliance, how do they feel about Israelis living in the US ?

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 01:55 am
Since they oppose the Israeli influence on their government and its policies, how do they feel about Israeli immigration to the US ? Don't they oppose it ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 506 • Replies: 10
No top replies

blatham

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 03:30 am
@TomFromIsrael,
You're speaking of two quite different things. First, there is no opposition (that I've ever bumped into) to immigration from Israel into the US (other than from a very thin sliver of the population who are actual anti-Semites).

But the other part of your question - influence on US government policy exerted by either Israel or by pro-Israel persons and entities within the US - that is a different matter because it may effect American sovereignty and because it may happen out of sight of the population. But in this, Israel is no different than any other nation.

I'm Canadian. Here, we have traditionally had concerns about America exerting influence over Canadian government and policy. That involves issues of related to the imbalance in power and wealth. But we have no concerns regarding an American moving north to live in Canada.

Does that make sense to you?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 03:38 am
OK, I've just gone through some of your other posts. The legitimacy of your question and your claim to be an Israeli (or to even live there) is questionable. Please for get we ever met.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 05:20 am
I have wondered if he's not a Russian agent. You never know, and there's no love lost between Israel and Russia. He has started thread after thread, and been told repeatedly not to condemn all Americans out of hand--and he continues to start new threads to vilify Americans, and to obliquely paint an ugly picture of Isreal.
TomFromIsrael

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 05:24 am
@Setanta,
I most certainly don't hate Americans and have met a few lovely ones. But many others have been mean to me for being Israeli. And there are many I never really talked with yet they seem to be quite anti Israeli and wouldn't want an Israeli to move next door to them.

And about Russia, I'm not a fan of theirs. Putin is a troublemaker. That said, most Russians I've met are lovely people.
blatham

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 05:39 am
@TomFromIsrael,
Quote:
That said, most Russians I've met are lovely people.

No, they're not. They are horrid people with terrible body odor, they're uneducated, they don't know how to drive cars, they are sexually promiscuous, they steal any chance they get, and many are serial killers.

But as with Americans, there are a few who are ok.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 05:43 am
@TomFromIsrael,
Quote:
I most certainly don't hate Americans and have met a few lovely ones. But many others have been mean to me for being Israeli.

Being an Israeli in America is pretty easy. Israel has a 71% favorability rating among Americans. Judaism is pretty well respected by 95% of the society and if you walk down the street you will be seen as just another person. It is far more difficult to be a Palestinian. A great number of American don't respect Islam and they face far more racism.

Everyone I know will treat an Israeli just like any other human being, and most of us have done exactly that.

maxdancona

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 05:47 am
@maxdancona,
For the record, I am deeply troubled by the actions of the Israeli government. However, I have worked, and developed friendships with people originally from Israel including one guy who would argue with me all of the time (we became friends).

I criticize the government, not the people.
Setanta

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 06:19 am
@blatham,
You're crackin' me up, Boss. FM just pulled the same gag on this joker in another of his threads, telling him about Canadians and their sled dogs.
0 Replies

TomFromIsrael

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 07:45 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
For the record, I am deeply troubled by the actions of the Israeli government

So am I, and I am from there. I am also troubled by the many atrocities committed by the US which kinda resemble those committed by my own country. And of course I hate Trump. Still, I don't hate Americans except those who give me a hard time.

And your position is not an anti Israeli one, unless you also believe Israel shouldn't exist or is not an American ally.
centrox

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 12:43 pm
@TomFromIsrael,
TomFromIsrael wrote:
I am also troubled by the many atrocities committed by the US which kinda resemble those committed by my own country.

In "The Territorial Imperative", Robert Ardrey talks about anti-semitism surveys done in the USA between 1945 and 1950, covering the period between the liberation of the Nazi death camps and the founding and establishment of Israel. Contrary to what some might expect, antisemitic indexes actually climbed in 1945 and fell sharply after 1948. He theorised that the revelation of the death camps, piles of corpses, emaciated people in striped uniforms, etc, increased antisemitism because people despise abject landless victims, whereas news that Israelis (and hence Jews) were massacring villages full of Arab men, women and children decreased antisemitism because it was seen that Jews could be "bastards just like us" who could grab and hold land.
0 Replies