US to South America

Snoopy

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 09:46 pm
Hi all. I'm new here.

I'm wondering the cheapest way to get from the US (probably NY) to South America. I am travelling there next year and am looking for other ways to travel than flying as I wont have that much money. I need to get to Brazil... anyone have any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 836 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 09:50 pm
Some freight lines take on a handful of passengers on a freight steamer. I used to go down to the docks and ask the captains to take me stateside from Santos in Brazil.
0 Replies

Snoopy

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 07:21 am
Oh wow. That sounds really cool! Thanks!
Any other ideas would be much appreciated!

Also does anyone know if is there a bus or train service from the US into Mexico or anywhere else in South America?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 11:13 am
Any Greyhound bus will take you a to US-Mexico border city, in which you take a Mexican bus and move south.
There are several classes of buses in Mexico. Prices, confort and safety vary accordingly, and differences may be steep. The passenger railroad system is worthless, so I wouldn't reccomend it.

BTW, Mexico is not South America. South America starts near the Panama-Colombia border, after you Cross the Gulf of DariƩn.
Central America, geographically, starts in the Ithsmus of Tehuantepec. Only 1 and 1/4 of the 32 Mexican States are in Central America; the rest is North America.
Call any Mexican (or a Cuban, or a Dominican) "South American" or "Central American", and you'll get a dirty look. We are Latin Americans, which is not the same.
0 Replies

Snoopy

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 09:11 pm
Ok thanks a lot for the help! and the warning! So Latin Americans... ok cool. I am obviously not well educated on the subject. But thanks again for ur help!
0 Replies

Duke of Lancaster

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 02:39 am
Where in South America are you going to?
I sense you're going to Columbia or Argentina
0 Replies

Xavier

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 10:23 am
Remember that Mexico is in North America.
Regards
Xavier
0 Replies