Jan 20, 2005 - Not One Damn Dime Day

woiyo

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 08:16 am
Idaho wrote:
So, all you folks that plan on participating in this "Not one damn dime day" here are some hidden costs you might want to think about:

1. Turn off electricity at midnight. No microwave, no alarm clocks, nothing.
2. Turn off the heat - you wouldn't want to give any money to the oil companies (might get a tad cold for those folks in Minnesota, but no pain, no gain.
3. Don't send your kids to school - school districts get some of their money based on butts in seats each day.
4. Don't drive - that will only result in you paying for more gas on Friday.
5. No eating at restaurants.
6. No eating at home - you'll just have to pay for that food.
7. No cell phone - you might want to ask your service provider for a refund for the day.
8. No long-distance calls.
9. No television - electricity, you know.
10. No water - no showers, better not flush.
11. If it's your garbage day, better keep the trash in the house.
12. No internet.
13. No morning paper.

I'm sure there's more - just trying to be helpful so you can adequately prepare.

Meanwhile, I've been needing a new car - maybe I'll buy it tomorrow.

Cool
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 09:15 am
Washington, D.C. is a city in lockdown. Over a hundred planes are going to patrol the skies. Thousands of armed officers and military will be on the ground, snipers will be on the rooftops and parapets, undercover agents will be mingling with the well-wishers and the protestors. Parade participants, most of them under the age of twenty, have been warned not to look at the presidential reviewing stand, not to make any sudden moves.

No one will be totally trusted.

Fear has formed a canopy over the Capitol.

There is a threat to all of us, but is it from outside the tent or inside?
0 Replies

Thomas Hayden

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 09:32 am
I completely agree with you. US mission at Iraq will be understood when this country retrieved democracy. Keeping our troops is a hard task, but in the present circumstances is the only solution for the problem. There is no point at boycott after all. By the contrary, I think that if all those security measures for inauguration day are indispensable, I would rather donate the 40m$ to the victims of the tsunami. Nowadays, spending so much money is a moral waste which our nation is not able to afford.
0 Replies

rystall79

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 09:53 am
realjohnboy wrote:
That ain't going to happen, Mr Still.
To make rystall's idea work, where commerce is shut down and everyone gets a day off without pay, you also have to endure a little bit of pain.
On the morning of the 20th, everyone should flip the breakers in their homes: no electricity, no heat, no water, no nothing. How's that sound as a protest...and a small bit of solidarity for the people in Iraq.
One day. For just one day. Does it sound reasonable, rystall?

nah... I gotta have my net. I suck at protest. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 12:13 pm
Oh, I think that if every means of purchase were cut in half for the day, that would cause a stir, no matter if some utilities were used. The idea isn't to kill our economy, it is to show clout.

Conservatives are such downers.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 06:38 am
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 07:21 pm
If the most you can muster is to get together and DO NOTHING, you should EXPECT NOTHING in return.

BTW - I did buy that car today; spent a few thou more than I originally wanted to, but I figure it was money well spent.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 07:28 pm
May you get the mileage you deserve!
0 Replies