Are the more literate less literal?

jespah

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 07:59 am
farmerman wrote:
...Law Firms, how many of those are named Agere. ...?

Law firms generally can't have trademarked-type names, per bar association rules.

How 'bout A Thousand Words for the studio?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 08:00 am
Some great suggestions! Thank you all.

Maybe I'm guilty of doing that too, Portal Star and perhaps thats why I end up butting heads with the more literal.......

Hmmmmm.

Yes, farmerman, absolutely it will have the words studio or portraits as part of the name.

I'm not sure what you're driving at with the advice/validation point.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 08:01 am
I too thought of 1000 Words - there are about 1000 studios with that name!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 08:04 am
I like "Snap!" with a camera logo after it, and the studio bit in smaller print. It's short, current, and urban.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 09:30 am
jes, we have lots of law firms around the Phila-Baltimore area area with names like "The LAw Center" "Legal Center" etc.
Now law firms can aadvertise..

My point was, and youve nicely moved into a GOOD zone for names. There was a time in the 90s when companies have had all kinds of names that were 'made Up" or what I like to call "matrix influenced". The customers need to be kept in mind, they are not all as full of creaqtive spirit as you. You dont wanna lose any potential customer. We have friends thaat have a small restaurant and coffee shop. They bitched that business waasnt up to projections. Well, their place has a rather Victorian sounding name with flowers in the title. So they miss the road traffic thaat passes by and doesnt see that its a coffee house, cum restaurant. Well, they took advice (even though this guy is a 'marketing type" from Wharton) they added some phrases about food and beverages and ... more.
Their business had picked up by a continuous amount each year for the last 2 years and the customers stay, and they are still seeing new ones. All they did was add something to their signage aand lettering on their windows.

when I see verdigris, I only think of a poison or a green .

flix , pix, and clix

Gravured images (sort of biblical but not blasphemy)

Picture This

Get Framed
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 09:52 am
Ah yes, the made up names. I know people who did that crazy stuff when naming their kids too.

Name trends are interesting.

I remember when everything seemed to be named ____werks or _____haus. I always expected to walk in and find that Deiter guy from the old Saturday Night Live skit.

In the west there are still many many new age sounding names.

Taking a cue from housing developments and apartment complexs I made lists of words to see how they would combind for a name. The only thing I came up with that I liked at all was "Lightsmith".

The popular names now seem to be one word things but long or short doesn't seem to matter. For example, the two hottest restaurants in town right now are "clarklewis" and "Raw". A browse down 23rd (or, trendy-third as it is sarcasio-affectionaltly called) shows the hipness of the one word name.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 10:16 am
Ooh, I like the Snap (camera logo)studio...

or, photo or portrait instead of Snap
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 10:20 am
Boomer, remember the thread you had about composing portraits? You have something of a special take on doing that; is there any name you can think of that emphasizes your setting of vignettes-that-are-spontaneous?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 10:22 am
Well, on second thought, that might not be best in the name, but as part of the rest of an ad...
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 10:46 am
so far I like

Visage
Verdigris use the colour for logo name etc
Lucent give typography of name a translucent quality?
Aspects - just the single word not defined by any others except studio in small print

I too like Snap! with camera icon, quick, catchy, but professional enough? a snap is a quick photo not such a considered one, does that matter? I think not
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 10:46 am
I think a business these days needs both an easily memorable name, and a good tagline. My business is simply Cinnabar Culinary Delights, with the tagline "Champagne dreams for truffled times". It's been working so far.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 10:52 am
Hmmm, Visage is a chain make-up place you find in big malls.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 11:00 am
I like "Snap" but wonder if it would make people think - snapshots.

osso, the style of photos that I shoot will really be more of a speciality line off of a more traditional portrait business so I don't think I need to work that into a name so much. I think a good name for that might be something like "Verite" (as in Cinema Verite) as it is more obervational.

I completely agree about the name and tagline, cav. Its the tagline that really reaveals what the business is all about.

I like yours!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 11:05 am
Snap is catchy. The online photoservice I use, is called
"snapfish".

On the other hand "snap" insinuates quick photo sessions,
and that's not the case with a portrait.

Why re-invent the wheel? A conservative name having
"Photography" in it, would be the still the best solution,
like "Advanced Photography".

The first letter should be fairly at the beginning of the
alphabet when you consider advertising in the yellow pages
and other publications.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 12:13 pm
Snapshot Studio
Snapshot Gallery
Snapshop Photography
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 12:16 pm
See the next big Picture with Snapshot
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 12:20 pm
Memories in a snap
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 12:26 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Cinnabar Culinary Delights, with the tagline "Champagne dreams for truffled times".

Laughing lovely
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 12:29 pm
I love the truffled times bit...

and am moving away from Snap - as that doesn't really fit.
ASPECTS
portrait studio
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 12:37 pm
I don't know why, but Janus Photo Studios, capturing faces from all sides came to mind.
0 Replies