Are the more literate less literal?

boomerang

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 07:04 pm
I'm kind of liking "Photobiography"

You can't get much more literal than that. It has "photography" which is what we do and "biography" which the the telling of one's life.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 07:26 pm
Was just eating dinner and one came to me:

Verdigris
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 07:28 pm
(I was thinking about the life family memories thing that Noddy laid out. Would go with the hand-tinted photos you were talking about -- not direct literal correllation, but I think people who would like one would like the other.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 07:36 pm
This is all reminding me of when we picked our gallery name. It took about a week, and we ran through hundreds of names. One we both liked, but of course dismissed, was "Wretched Excess". It tickled our fancy, must have been the wine.

The words we thought of tended to sound like names of boutiques or restaurants. Then we started going through the plant world, since we also do landscape architecture; that business has a more formal name, Blank and Blank Designs. For the gallery, we were looking for something different.

Eventually we landed on a name few know the meaning of, PIANTE. That's italian for both plants and plans; it relates to the landscape architecture, but also the gallery as we show primarily landscape paintings.

We use the word PIANTE in big gold letters on the window, with gallery just under it, in smaller letters, and our press releases always have the word gallery after Piante. So, it turns out people really like the word and how it sounds. The strangeness hasn't been a hindrance. (We are closing the gallery soon, from sheer tiredness and a lease that is doubling at renewal time, but not because the name failed.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 07:58 pm
That's a wonderful name!!

So sorry the gallery is closing, though... how are you feeling about that? As in, more towards relief or more towards sad?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 08:04 pm
It's a muddle, Soz. I'll post more about it as I figure out more about how I feel. I'm sure I'll miss it, but will also be relieved - more later.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 08:16 pm
Sure, Osso.

Btw I didn't say that I like "Photobiography" too -- more stripped-down and utilitarian, but I like it.

What I would love to do is ask for:

- A description from boomer of what she envisions the studio doing and being. ("Envision"?)

- A description of target audience

- A description of competition/ competition's names to get an idea of how to distinguish this one

... but I'm sure boomer has been working and working on the name stuff and don't want to just add to that. Plus it sounds like there are actually a lot of good ideas out there already.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 08:32 pm
I love the name Verdigris, soz.

I'm going to pitch it but I have a feeling the literal-boys are just gonna stare me down.

Galleries in Portland have been closing at a record rate - the real established galleries. Sad.

And sad too to hear that you are closing, osso. I hope you haven't fallen victim to the Portland syndrome. People have become very strange in the way they are spending their money these days.

I love the name you chose. It fits a gallery so well.

I'll be looking for your updates.

I'll work on some economical answers to your questions, soz.....

The "gang" does have such a tendency to shorthand everything because we know where we are now and where we want to be. Explaining it longhand may take some time!

"Photobiography" certainly is more utilitarian (good word!) It kind of gives me a sense of history or permanence which is good. I worry that it doesn't cue well on "hipness" though.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 08:42 pm
how about something like pixelgalleria ? Wink

or something with "image" in it?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 08:43 pm
I've been on contact with a guy that owns photogallery.com
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 08:45 pm
I like Photobiography, but maybe it's not the one..
Hmm, Photo Graphs (no)
Time Lapse (of course not), much less Tempis Fugits, Saved Time,
Moment Framed
Photo Fluorish
Lurid Photos (no!!)
Photo Luxe
Photo Memory
Photo Fixe
Composition

well, yucky so far, will keep thinking.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 08:50 pm
Memory Saver
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 08:53 pm
Lasting Images or Lasting Memories - that's what pictures are.
Photo Memories or Photo Reminiscence.....
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 08:57 pm
Image Ready
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 09:02 pm
Photographic Memories

(a bit long...hmmm)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 09:03 pm
I really liked Soz's first name best...

VISAGE
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 09:07 pm
bummer
www.affinityphoto.net
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 11:52 pm
so youre really not seeking advice, youre seeking validation.
Kodak was originaly called the Eastman Kodak company-after the founder. It was in chemicals and emulsions.

Law Firms, how many of those are named Agere. in fact think of all the lame name companies, ENRON,AGERE, LUCENT, they have regognition alsso --with failure.
Youre talking a small studio. im still confused , will you even have the words that indicate youre a sstudio on the door at all?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 12:52 am
Got it. Call it Aspire. We all know what it means, but it can mean most anything to anybody, and it does sound kind of hopefull, doesn't it?
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 02:22 am
Having just taken the GRE, I'd like to point out that as a creative writer and right-brained individual, I have more of an inclination about words than a rigid definition. This works out okay because I can use them loosely and freely and people often mistake that for creativity. (Occasionally, I get called out for improper word use. But usually I get lauded for thinking out of the word box. C'mon, Shakespeare made up his own damned words.)

So this presents a problem with analogies

Because when I get a question like this:

Steak: Consumption as

a. Beef: Dandruff
b. Motorcycle: Driving
c. Rabbits: Screwing

Instead of reasoning out the undesirable choices, I make excuses for them.

Like, well, steak can die of consumption which can be read either as a malady or an action so in a way, a cow plagued with a dandruff problem isn't out of the question here...
0 Replies