Are the more literate less literal?

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 04:29 pm
I've been working on naming a new business. The two people I must consult with on this are... well... while not illiterate, not very literate either.

Meanhwile, I read anything and everything.

I have become very frustrated with these two because they are so literal. It really seems like they are lacking in imagination and that they fail to appreciate the complexity of words.

Have you ever noticed anything like this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,285 • Replies: 115
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 05:25 pm
Sometimes a business does well by letting the people know what it actually does. The trend to give companies"Matrix" type names , I hope, is beginning to fade.
What do you plan to be?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 05:27 pm
I have! Yes!

Connotations only work for people for whom the connotations connote something. And I like connotations.

(And I am too literate! You wouldn't be able to tell from the above sentence, but I swear..!)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 05:28 pm
I plan to be the Queen of all I survey.

As Queen, I plan to run a portrait photography studio.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 05:33 pm
We've been over Visage, right?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 05:41 pm
Already taken.

As are just about everything else that immediately brings "face", to mind.

Luckily, it doesn't seem that you can trademark words like "studio" or "portraits" or "photography".

I like connotations too!

I've thrown out a bunch of words that connote memory or time - that sort of thing - to be met with blank stares.

I find myself explaining. That's not good. Still, I think more literate people would get it.

Get it?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 05:43 pm
I thinik it has more to do with people that tend to be artistic and people who tend to be more logic based. Artistic types seem to like the idea of "word play". The looser connotations of words in that type of thing is a bane to the logical types. Logic prefers steadfast rules to apply and when a word's use could mean any of 4 or 5 things the logic chain gets thrown for a loop. Wink
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 05:50 pm
Ahhh!

Interesting.

So maybe its a left brain v. right brain thing....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 06:02 pm
I'm wondering though about people who like to do crosswords and other word puzzles.

I love them!

The other two I am dealing with would no sooner do a word puzzle as well..... anything else they really hated to do. One of them is most definately an artist.

What kind of person loves word puzzles? Right brain? Left brain? Reader? Non-reader? Who?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 06:37 pm
"Countenance" has been covered too, right?

(Sorry, this has been at the back of my mind for a while now -- kind of a crosswordy challenge.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 06:41 pm
The last time I helped someone come up with a business name the winner had nothing in particular to do with the service provided, just had a lot to do with her plus great logo opportunities -- Camelia. Maybe go that direction for a while, change of pace, shake things up? IF it were a flower or a plant, what would it be?

Will you and your business partner be equal partners? Are there any possibilities with mixing up your names, like the beginning of your last name and the end of his, or something? (By possibilities I mean is there a way to make it interesting or would it just sound like a law firm?)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 06:49 pm
I think we might have picked a name - something we can both agree on that makes sense for the business - especially during the transition. After that it can stand alone too so while not completely happy, I'm satisfied. The business name registry shows it to be clear but it still has to pass muster.

However we did try mixing up names and came up with Butburger (not good, not good at all) and TAJ (already taken).

We will eventually be equal partners (I hope) but right now I'm the brains and money with not much time and he's the brawn and broke with a lot of talent.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 06:51 pm
speaking of law firms, the best partnership i ever saw was Faust, Raven and Hacker, great names for lawyers
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 06:53 pm
Sounds like a good match!

That's excellent that you came up with a name, bravo! Now I have to shut off that section of my brain... just a minute...

*click*

Butburger... no.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 07:07 pm
I like the way the title reads. Don't care about the subject. Ooh look a butterfly....
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 07:08 pm
This is a good question.

As a grad student in creative writing, I spend a lot of time around the hyper-literate. Most of us MFAs haven't totally disappeared up our own intellectual a-holes, but the tenured English Dept faculty, a few of them, can barely dress themselves it seems.

One professor here, a close friend of the late Derrida, has a class which consists of analyzing TWO sentences for an entire semester. But I digress.

I know that I recently failed a personality test that was part of the application process for a crappy barrista job at a lame bookstore.

They were questions like this:

Is drinking wrong?

And you had to choose

a) always b) almost always c) sometimes d)almost never e) never

Going thru Gargamel's mind at the time:

(and please remember, I presently reside in the heart of the bible belt)

No. No drinking is not wrong. I love drinking. But of course, this is not what my employer wants to hear. Then again, these tests are set up to check inconsistency and dishonesty. Well, the truth is, responsible drinking is NEVER wrong. It is always right. So, maybe I should answer b) almost always, or c) just to remain neutral, because, jesus christ, I don't want to serve coffee to dumbshts all day anyway, so what the hell.

I feel that far too much exposure to "postmodernism" has seriously handicapped my logical faculties.

Thank you.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 07:10 pm
Sorry. We kind of got sidetracked.

We don't have to talk about naming things. Especially my things.

I'm still curious if the more literate are less literal.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 07:20 pm
i'm quite literate my self (read alot love word games and puzzles) and i'm also very abstract and rather illogical in my thought process
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 07:36 pm
Gargamel that completely cracks me up!

It so reminds me of my very good friend - very literate - kind of a kook - really extrordinary. He filled out this internet dating form. It suggested that you should spend about 30 minutes on it. He spent two days! It came back that there were "no matches".

I assured him that if I ever divorced Mr. B that I would happily go on a date with him (and I would) but that finding the right girl for him might be like sending a grad student to apply for a barrista job at Barnes and Noble.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 12:32 am
Gargamel lOL. I want to be in your mind. I can see me saying " please Give me a day or so to fill this one in" and Id be havingtthose conversations with myself. Funny stuff.

Boomer.Depending upon your location, a lesson of Rodeo Drive may be important. Presentation is as important as substaance.
Something like 'Portraiture and impressions" has a ring of what you do and issnt so much like an accounting office like most photo studios.
I saw a photo studio which used a small bank of tv monitors in a 3x4 matrix in whicgh they flashed the work and intersspersed the individual portraits with one shot every few minutes that was knit into the entire bank of screens. Very effective

my compaanies name is one that was chosen by tthe founder before I bought it. I kept the name but Im in a gradual mode of changing it to feature our craft before the name and Im de-emphasizing tthe name to a group status. A bad name, once chosen, sets your business back, iMHO. The clients must know immediately what you do and how you can help them.

you cant beat "Ansel Adams memorial studios" or "Margaret Bourke White pportraits"
is that legaal? Im not clear on this.
0 Replies