2000 yr checkup. should I cough up the $300

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 01:06 pm
mom and dad say it's the one they always get ...if any. plus, I told them my breaks (break pad maybe) was question-ey lately. i also worry a lot, and it may be from my car being cold and it raining out (the sound I'm hearing).

plus, my love machine needs an oil change.

in case it's important: toyota echo 2001 (yes, i JUST hit 20,000 ...actually I'm at 21,400 woohoo!)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,661 • Replies: 36
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 01:11 pm
Get the oil changed and check the breaks. I think all cars make weird noises in the winter. It's freakin' cold out. They are probably complaining. If you are worried, go get it done. Better safe than dead in a twisted heap of flaming metal.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 01:20 pm
i meant to say 20,000 mile check-up. yikes.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 01:21 pm
How are those stone tires holding out...yuk

Sorry, couldn't help it
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 01:22 pm
i was wondering why it said 2000 (i was thinking that year has passed and if you needed a checkup then well I am sure it is definitly time for one (or that it was too late) lol
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 01:25 pm
Sweetie..Toyota has recommended service...for my truck it's about every 20,000 miles.
You should have it spelled out in your owners manual. I believe it's a wonderful way to keep the machine running without problems.
For example..Toyota recommends rotating the tires every other oil change. I have 54,000 miles on my truck and the original tires look like new.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 01:28 pm
alright. just needed to know if my folks were right (better safe than sorry) before i let go of that much cash. are they like walmart and vacuum my car too? just half kidding. Very Happy
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 01:29 pm
My 20,000 checkup is only $120...why is yours so much?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 01:33 pm
You've got a Yugo kristie...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 01:35 pm
panzade wrote:
You've got a Yugo kristie...

i have a sonata.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 01:36 pm
my mom is guessing i think because that's how much another car (of ours) was several months ago.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 01:36 pm
Toyota service is expensive...but they look out for any problems that might come up.

If you have a trusted mechanic you might be able to save money by having them do the recommended service.

What I like about going to the dealer everytime is that the history of maintenance is on the computer so when I sell it I can give the new owner a breakdown of everything that was done. I also have my warranty extended a year past my payments.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 01:38 pm
that might be handy since we are thinking of selling it in or around August for a family car!

(that'll have to be another thread - b/c I've got questions)
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 01:42 pm
Your owner's manual should list exactly what goes into the 20K check-up. You could bring that list to an independent mechanic, and have him check everything. I'm sure whatever it needs, if anything, will be cheaper than $300. The dealership overcharges. It's nice to have everything in the computer, but just save your receipts, it's the same thing.

A Toyota with only 20K on it usually doesn't need much, anyway.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 01:44 pm
It's not $300...unless there's some major problems...my 20,000 mile service cost $128.00 and they checked a gazillion things...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 01:46 pm
panzade wrote:
and they checked a gazillion things...

that's a lot of parts.... Shocked
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 01:46 pm
If you're selling it...just get an oil change!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 01:47 pm
LOL! I saw the title and thought that if you'd gotten that amount of time out of the poor thing... let it die.

For the first 8 -9 years, I did maintenance like clockwork. Took real good care of my baby since she was haulin' my babies.

About 5 years ago the "maintenance required" light came on. Last summer my daughters friend said "Maintenace wrecked? ... How does it know that?"

I couldn't figure out what she was talking about, since the light has been on so long I just ignore it. Then she pointed and repeated herself.

Sure enough... "Maintenance Req'd."
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 01:51 pm
Squinney, in some cars that light is set off after you drive X miles, so you'll bring it to the dealer and have it serviced. It usually means nothing. In Acuras for example, you can manually turn it off yourself by holding some button down.

And the "check engine" lights ironically indicates emmissions, like an oxygen sensor, not "your engine is about to die."
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 01:52 pm
I'll be honest...I ain't a gear head...I stopped doing any work on my vehicles in 1987. I don't understand anything under the hood.
The Toyota truck I bought is so worry-free it's scary. I like the company and the product and I'm sorry I can't find an American truck that's comparable.
That's why I let the dealer handle service...50,0000 miles and nooooo problem.
0 Replies