Lessons learnt from parents to pass on.

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 09:10 am
My parents are fab, but Im slightly biased.

Apart from the obvious Im interested in knowing what your parents have done for you that you will do for your kids.

Example-My parents have sorted things so when they die they will leave as much money/property to me and my brother as possible, avoiding inheritance tax etc.
Also they have provided a way of both my brother and I to buy our first cars.
Dad had a company car mum had her own, we were both allowed to buy our mums car from her for £100 but from then on we must buy our own.

I know these are financial examples but what else have you learnt from your parents that you think is a nice way of doing things that you want to do for your kids?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 739 • Replies: 6
No top replies

JPB

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 09:20 am
My mother was open to discussing anything that was troubling me as a teen. Most of my friends had miserable relationships with their parents during adolescense but my was wonderful. She was my rock, my confidant, my salvation. I've never forgotten how wonderful it was to have a mother who listened without judgement, who gave me her opinions as just that, and told me my decisions were mine to make and the consequences of them were mine to live. I now have 14 and 12 yo daughters. I'm trying to be the mother to them that my mother was to me.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 09:22 am
Love first
ask why later.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 09:23 am
Thats soooo sweet.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 10:10 am
From Dad: Be professional

From Mom: If one of you must have ulcers, let it be him. AND, feel free to grow old, but never grow up.

From Grandpa: Everyone has their place and their purpose. Enjoy yours to its fullest.

From Grandma: Beauty is as beauty does.

From Great- Grandma and Grandpa: Never say anything bad about others. Everyone has something good about them. Focus on that instead.

From Great-Great Grandma: Feed anyone who comes to your door.

There's actually a story behind that last one.

Ma, as she was known, was home alone one day when she heard a knock at the back screen door. She saw three young men, all quite handsome as the story goes, and they inquired as to whether they could fetch something to eat as they tipped their hats in greeting.

She instructed them as to where the pump and buckets were located, and told them to come on in and sit when they had finished tending their horses and had washed up.

Ma went to the kitchen and assembled what she had to feed the three strangers. She set the table and sat her own plate at its usual place at the foot of the table. She sat down just as the three men entered.

After removing their hats, one of the men picked up a plate and moved it to the head of the table, rather than the side where she had placed it. She thought it odd, since that was obviously the head of the table which is always reserved for the head of the family, but was then distracted by the second man asking her if he could sit in her chair.

Well, that again was not the usual protocol for the time, but she moved to a side chair and allowed the second man her seat.

Everyone proceeded to enjoy light conversation and casual exchanges as they shared a modest meal. The man that had taken the seat at the head of the table handed Ma a large gold piece as they all thanked her for the hospitality, placed their hats on their heads and left.

A short time later the sheriff and his posse came riding up. It was then that Ma learned that she had just fed Jesse James and that the gold piece was from the bank he and his brothers had robbed that morning.

Now, generations later, I don't know if she handed the gold piece over to the sheriff or not. It seems like something she would have done, but I can't say for sure. I do know she told the sheriff that sure enough they had been there and then sent the posse off in the opposite direction than Jesse had actually gone.

When Pa got home she relayed the days events to him. As they talked about it over dinner they realized the table was sitting in such a way as to have windows just behind the head and foot of the table, which explained why the strangers had adjusted the seating arrangement.

The story each child in our family has been told since this occurence ends with the lesson that we are to feed anyone that asks for a meal and allow them to choose their own seat before you seat yourself.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 01:24 pm
Great story squinney
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 02:39 pm
Thanks, JB. She was quite a lady.
0 Replies