Hate your job?

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 05:23 am
I have made steps to get a new job but I have to have a moan as I am good at complaining.

Does anybody else absolutely dispize their job?

Not just they hate what they do but do any of you sit there with nothing to do, its all done because of the serious lack of work that there is.

Do you think-
Why am I here?
Am I learning from it?
Is there a future?
Is the money good or could I do better?
Why does anyone employ somebody for this job because its something that can easily be done by the people already here.
WHAT A COMPLETE WASTE OF MY LIFE etc

Sometimes I think Im here so other people dont have to be here.
I get in at 8.30(til 5.30), some people start at 9.30 others not til 11.
Senior employees get to go home early.They mention this infront of me even tho they know it winds me up.

Its a long day to do nothing and is very draining.

Whats stopping me/you from changing your life?

What would you like to do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,572 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Montana

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 05:30 am
I don't think I ever had a job that I didn't eventually grow to atleast dislike. I hate working, period, lol.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 05:34 am
That kinda thing worries me.
What if I find a dream job or a job I think im gona like and I end up thinking its not all that or I hate it?What the heck am I gona do then?????!!!

What do you do?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 05:53 am
Well, the only thing you can do is to keep looking for something you can do that doesn't cause you to tear the hair out of your head. Over the years I've bounced around from job to job after getting sick of what I'm doing, but that has also prevented me from advancing in companies. Not everyone is like me, so I guess it all depends on the person.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 05:59 am
Yeah but how will I know until Im there.I think all jobs will bore me to insanity.
Ive worked in a shop so I know i dont want to do that(the public can be nasty) and Im working in an office where I am now and im writing on a forum.

I know what your saying its just I get so deflated easily, whilst everybody else takes there time to do there job here,having chats, cups of tea Id actually like to work properly.

I need a sense of achievment.I also need to do something creative.Any job suggestions?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 06:08 am
I hear you loud and clear! In fact you sound exactly like me. I also need a job that keeps me busy, since a boring job can make the day drag on forever. I've had several jobs that I liked, such as working in the office building at a bank on the night shift running the printers, working in a payroll company where I was kept busy processing payroll documents, working in a photo lab, which I think was my favorite, because I love working with photo's. I've also had my own taxi business, construction business, bartended, waitressed, worked in stores, did assembly work, etc...
As you can see, I bounced around a lot, so I suppose you just need to find something that you enjoy doing.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 06:13 am
Hey, Material Girl.

Yeah, those kinds of jobs are hard to deal with since you don't get a feeling of accomplishment or pride in return for sitting there all day. Getting paid isn't always reward enough to overcome the boredom and lack of feeling needed.

Maybe you aren't in a position to quit so here are some suggestions for your "free time."

1. You can ask others if there is something you can help them with so your time passes faster AND you show that you are willing to do more than your job description. That's what gets people promoted if there is a chance of it happening.

2. EVERY experience in life is just part of life teaching us what we need to learn. So instead of twiddling your thumbs and concentrating on the clock, make a list of what you are learning. This can be a silly list, but keep it positive. (You might be learning patience, so don't frame it as learning to waste time.)

3. During your "down time" daydream about where you would be at that moment if you had your ideal job. What would you be doing? Who would be around you? What is the setting? (office, stage, carnival, beach?) Put yourself in that setting and notice what you are doing... Filing? Dancing? Hammering? Sewing? Painting? Debating?

4. Start TODAY to take steps towards achieving #3.

Lifes too short to waste time being unhappy, bored and feeling useless. Take at least one positive step today toward being in a career that makes you happy.

(Sorry, didn't mean to mess up your b!tch session. I just don't want you to have to sit there another day depressed and bored to tears with anger boiling as you watch others leave. early.)
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 06:31 am
The people I work with are lovely.They all have their own quirks, as do I , some are silly, some get hot headed easily so in that way its never been too bad.

I have started a list(not very positive but a list no less),so far-
-Patience-I have learnt to wait for things to be done(sometimes 2 weeks for a computer part) so I can then get on with my part in the situation.
-How not to run a company.I wont go into that, Il be here all day but they must be doing something right as they are still in business but they take sooooo looong to make decisions.
-If I ever owned my own company I can come in when I like(can you feel the sarcasm and bitterness)
-I have learned how to use he internet,email,book flights,book hotels,purchasing parts,self organisation etc.Which are all positive things.

Self organisation would be better if I didnt feel so unenthusiastic about being here...

Perfect example just occured, as I type this my boss who came in about 11ish is reading the daily paper on the internet and commenting on the news.Hellooo, at least try to be busy.

I feel as tho if my superiors cant be bothered then why should I.

Im waiting to here back about a life changing job but communication is very slow as the person is busy and travels alot.

I also have no confidence which doesn thelp in asserting myself in serious situations like interviews which I avoid as much as possible.
Im aware of what I should be doing to change things but silly things hold me back.

Thanks for your advice,its fun to read.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 07:10 am
LOL! And see! You just did something productive (focusing on what you are learning) while getting PAID!

I'm glad you are taking steps to find a career that better suits you. When you do hear back from this other job prospect... Will you get to travel, too?

I'm the same way about job interviews. I hate them! I suppose that's why I'm self-employed. I always get the job when I interview myself.

Here's something to think about when you have to interview (or do anything else you are afraid of doing): Focus on the THRILL, not the FEAR.

For example, if you snow ski and are attempting a large slope for the first time, you will not be successful if you focus on how you might get hurt or killed along the way or start questioning your ability to successfully get to the bottom in one piece when you are half way down. Instead, focus on your ability, what you've learned on smaller slopes, and concentrate on applying those skills to the larger slope. And, enjoy the thrill of accomplishing it.

As far as having no confidence, you DO have some confidence or you wouldn't be working at all. You never would have had one successful interview that got you your current position.

So, change "I have no confidence" to "I have confidence in my ability to interview for a new job." Every time you hear that negative "No confidence" trying to enter your brain, change it to the positive. Then, follow it up with an even bigger thought.

I have no confidence when it comes to interviews.

Becomes, I have confidence in my ability to interview for a new job.

Follow that with "I have confidence in my ability to interview for a new job, and will get the job I want.

(Feel free to add "If the jerk ever gets back here to interview me and save me from this hell" if you must.) Laughing
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 08:26 am
I work in a small business, answering phones, chasing orders up etc.I get paid half what I would in a bigger company doing the same thing.
For the life I have now the money is fine but if I ever want to leave home I have to at least double my income!!

If I get the new job(dressmaking) I will work freelance but for another companyand be able to work from home(which Im happy with.Get out of bed straight into work,hoorah!).Money may be a bit better but not much but at least I will be busy and have a huge sense of achievement.
Travel wise, the company owner has suggested that I move to London(im in the UK) at some point to help improve the company which I wouldnt mind but need money.

Hmmm, my skills are seriously limited.
As far as interviews are concerned I havnt a clue what to say, plus I dont tend to think like other people.
I find it difficult to sound convincing when Im not really interested in a job.
This job Im doing now was basically given to me.I had an interview but the previous person(a friend) was leaving and I hated my previous job, they needed someone here so I just went for it.

Maybe you could give me some interview questions?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 09:42 am
Actually the opposite – not that I love my job, but there is too much work. (You would never know it the way I am on a2k, but I do this as a diversion in between reviewing things). We have increased our workload significantly due to new regulations and additional business with hiring a bare minimum. As a result we are overwhelmed with work. I will need to come in the next two weekends in order to keep and mind you I am salaried so I do not get paid overtime.

I actually enjoy my work, however, my company has not been the best place to work lately. I am considered after bonuses are paid to begin a search.

By the way squinney gives some great suggestions. Currently I am in a position of management so I can tell you that by being pro-active, like asking others if they need help. Or even taking it a step further and doing something you know needs to be done that may not be your assignment, but will help your boss out is a great way to get noticed and move up. As you move up work gets less tedious and more rewarding.

Also think of ways to run things more efficiency. Typically people doing the work are in the best position to make these suggestions. Meet with your boss with an action plan of your thoughts. It will make your job less boring and show your initiative.

You may also want to have a talk with your boss about your concerns and that you would like to be utilized better. In addition put together a development plan with goals and steps how to obtain these goals. This should be done during a review time and around the time you first start so you know what is expected of you and what your expectations are about the job. Just remember when your voice your concerns be careful how you word things – you don’t want to insult your boss by saying you shouldn’t come in at 11, but instead discuss ways you can help the company; focus on bettering yourself rather than the negatives around you.

I actually enjoy interviews. Look it is the one chance you get to brag about yourself and it is o-k. One thing that always impresses me when I interview people (and I have used it) is to support anything you say with facts. For example you can say you are good with people, but described how you are good with people. Say, I am a people person, for example, one time at work when I had to deal with a difficult client, I handle to blah blah blah and everything came out smelling like roses. Any time you can substantiate a trait with an actual work experience supports that fact that you have that quality. Prepare ahead by finding a list of typical interview questions. If you have the answers already prepared, no surprises and this will build your confidence. Also interview the interviewer. In other words, you are a great person, they should be lucky to hire you, make sure it is some where you want to work. I used to bring in a list of questions whenever I went on an interview. That way I had my list prepared to ask them. I want to make sure this is the place for me as much as they want to make sure I am the right person for the job.

Here are some websites for job interview questions and suggestions: http://www.job-interview.net/
http://www.quintcareers.com/interview_question_database/
http://www.job-interview-questions.com/

Another thought..not sure what sort of education you have, but you may consider going to night school for a degree or if you have one, an advanced degree. This will also challenge your mind while increasing your marketability in the workforce.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 10:06 am
Yep, great advice.Ive been thinking about doing a learning Japanese course but never have the guts to do it.
Degrees dont always guarantee a better job over here.
I realised a while back that I should ask an interviewer why I should work for them and what can they offer me.I will try and do that in the future but phrase in more pleasently.

I did talk to a more junior boss about time keeping a few month back.
I was met with hysterical laughter, a dismissal of everything I suggested and, to add insult to injury, a week later he came in and said to our colleagues everything I suggested and passed them off as his own ideas!!!!I couldnt f-ing believe it.I was so shocked and thought I was going mad so i never talked to him about it.

Bring things up in reviews!! Ive been here 2 years and Im still waiting to here if Ive actually got the job after a 3 month trial period!.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 10:49 am
Material girl – I actually don’t like that question what a company can offer you, but I would be more specific. Think specifically about what you are looking for in a job and ask them. For example, How often do people advance? What type of employee are you looking for – what qualities are important to you? That sort of thing.

A boss should always be respectful of their employees and never laugh at their ideas (even if they are ridiculous). There is always a chance that some one may use your ideas and pass as their own. But that is more a reflection that you have a poor boss. Maybe find some one else (if there is another senior person) you could work with. As far as reviews, companies should at the very least give annual reviews. How else do they support the amount of raises given out? Have you approach your boss about lack of review or development plans? It is just insane to not have some sort of goals and steps and at the very least expectations spelled out, otherwise how do you determine whether you are doing a good job? Employees need to have such things. It really is not fair not to spell these out, otherwise an employee does not know what they should be doing in their job and how a raise, promotion, etc. would be determined? Even something informal is better than nothing, but I would always want something in writing so a boss cannot go back on his word.

At the very least all these “issues” you have at your current job, should prompt you with questions you can ask at a future job interview. The more specific your questions to the interviewer, the more likely you will get a better feel for the company and how they run things.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 04:01 am
Linkat-nicely worded questions, thanks.

I feel companies are better run in America(Im assuming the bulk of people here are from the USA)
I believe you have a thing called 'show and tell' that you do from a young age at school.We didnt have that here when I was at school.If we had I think I would be a completely different person abling me to talk more easily to groups of people.
Over here youve either got the gift of the gab or you havent, some people can learn to be more confident but usually just get stuck in a routine and continue life as it is.

My bosses are nice but none of them have ever lived up to my idea of what a boss should be ie lead by example,know the answers to any questions I have so I can help them run the business better etc so there really isnt anyone I could go to that would actually make any changes.
I only got a lunch break a few months back coz I had a mini crying session as being here for 9 hours a day is really getting me down, at least I can get out of here for a while now.

I know Im my own worst enemy.Im sure if I gave new interviews a go they would be fine but its not knowing what to excpect that puts me off.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 08:14 am
Also material girl, my suggestions do come from the typical culture in an American financial company. Different industries and countries have of course, different corporate cultures. So what works in my industry in the US, may not work as well where you are, but I am sure you will not what types of suggestions will work best where you are.

It is unfortunate that you work some where that your bosses are not good examples. To me that is the best way to learn by following the lead of a good boss. What I have tried in the past is to pull traits from previous bosses that seem to work well and still fall within my personal values. I feel sometimes you have to forgo advancing in company more quickly if by acting a certain way does not coincide with your personal values. Sort of like the boss that stole your idea. If to get ahead it seems you have to step on others toes, I would move up slower because I could not do that because of my personal values, but I accept that.

I don’t know if this could work where you are, but I would have to assume that legally if you work a certain amount of hours, the company is required to give you a lunch break. Check into it and next time instead of crying about it, demand it and let them know it is your legal right and that you will be a much better worker after having a break. I usually encourage those that work for me to take a 15 minute break at least when they are busy, you are better refreshed afterwards and end up working better.

I do understand that the not knowing is the scary part; probably more scary than the what could possibly happen. Just try to get as much information as possible and make an educated (not emotional) decision. For example, don’t get so fed up where you are that you just up and quit, but instead really think things through before jumping for the next job.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 08:20 am
Montana wrote:
I don't think I ever had a job that I didn't eventually grow to atleast dislike. I hate working, period, lol.

A job, even one you like, eventually becomes work. And work sucks. That's why people who are lucky enought to do something they've always dreamed of (like be a singer or a professional athlete) suck.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 08:50 am
I didnt want to go in with demands as I would probably be laughed at too,I think the unhappiness had been building up and the tears started to flow,I didnt plan on doing it(tho it worked, hehe).
Luckily one of my friends works at a solicitors so after I opened the floodgates I asked here what the legal standing was so Im all sorted now.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 09:25 am
I guess I have been lucky.
Since I had my daughter I have been a stay at home mom wich is work too but before that I was working in nursing homes. I am a nurse and have been doing that for 9 years. And i am one of the wierd people who loved the job. I worked with alzheimers patients. Anyone who knows what that disease does to people are probally thinking I ampretty derranged for enjoying that work..but I did.
There were many aspects of the job I hated. Mostly the fact that I had to work in nursing homes. Wich are run down poor excuses for the word ' home'. It is an awful system that breeds abuse in workers. ( nuff said )
BUT... one thing that helped me , and may help you in your job search, is that I focused on what I could do better then anyone else and I allowed myself to get almost arrogant about it.
Meaning... ( example )
In the nursing home, I was ALWAYS in touch with families. I would call them on my own damn time to tell them how thier grandmother/mother/father etc was doing. In that, I developed strong relationships with some people I still have today.
When i would do an interview i would direct the entire conversation to that one subject. And i would go in the interview with a hand written list. ( this list i would take to all interviews.. but the interviewer NEVER knew that) I would then show it and say, " i was thinking about the things I had done at my previous job and I didnt want to take up 90% of your time in this interview so i wrote it down. These are things that dont apply to the application as they are simple deeds I did on a daily basis that didnt go twords advancement. But they may help in giving you an idea as to what kind of worker I am."
usually after that.. i had the job hands down.
I also made the entire interview about the person doing the interview. I would ( at appropriate times ) make them feel important.
The famed question " what do you have to offer this company"
Would be answered with a list of my experience and then summed up with a comment like " and if everyone who works here is as well spoken as you are this will be a great place to work. "
Sliding in the compliments ALWAYS made my interviews go well. If you leave the interviewer remembering you , not because you sounded the part but because you paid attention to THEM as a person, they are more likely to call you back. Basic psych 101
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 09:52 am
I dont think your derranged for enjoying it.It must be a very emotional job and Im sure it had its rewards.
My mother is not a nurse but she did work in a nursing home.She came home sometimes with sad news of residents passing away.

Ive never been for a job Ive wanted so Im assuming if I did go for a job interview for something Im interested in Id be very enthusuiastic and the interviewer would be on the same wavelength and therefore the compliments would come naturally.

Thanks,great advice.
0 Replies