Ex-Libris: anyone an expert?

benconservato

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 08:58 am
it isn't that hard - especially if you have access to somewhere to put them on the web... I hope you figure it out too!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 01:15 pm
People are recommending Imageshack.com as a place to put them before transferring here. (Maybe you did, Vivien; I just read someone else suggest that in a post I read five minutes ago.)
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 02:20 pm
Maybe I can send a scan to you Vivien?
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 10:58 pm
I'm a former rare book dealer . Ex Libris means" from the library of"...
People used to do this as a vanity kind of thing. It's something that the upper classes did once upon a time to mark a book as being from someone's personal library. This was back when only the upper classes had personal libraries. As the middle and lower classes aspired to appear more "substantial" , they started doing this sort of thing. I think in most cases it just de-values the book.
My 2 cents,
LTX
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 11:01 pm
I've suspected it devalues books now too; wasn't sure.

Welcome to a2k, Lion Tamer - wonderful avatar you have there.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 06:07 am
Yes of course you can shepaints and I'll be happy to post it for you - you know my email. Very Happy

I have been using Photobucket (designed for ebay etc) which is very very easy. The image needs to be about 150 dots per inch resolution and about 3 inches wide to translate to quite a good image onscreen that doesn't stretch the forum out of shape.

Photobucket is designed to give you an easily copiable IMG or URL address - someone, maybe Timber? mentioned it. It is free.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 07:48 am
But that would de-value a book only if I was going to sell it, right? I am holding on to my books - no selling! :-)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 10:06 am
Well, de-values on the market. Books have, as I'm sure we all agree, more types of value than that one. I treasure a book I have with my father's ExLibris notice in it, for the book, for the fact that it was his, and because he would have put the ExLibris in. Also, it looks good.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 11:55 am
devalues....
I don't know about that.

I am more concerned with being presented perfectly good books, while doing book binding, that people then take the covers off and replace.
The whole ex-libris thing, I can understand being a once upper-class thing - but it seem more exist as collectors items now, not so much as being stuck in books. Mini artworks.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 03:12 pm
My ex libris were made in Italy and cost about $30.00 (Cdn) for 24......but I managed to get them on sale.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 09:37 am
I have seen the boxed ex-libris you can buy, but, i don't know, I am into the idea of making them myself soon.
0 Replies