Ex-Libris: anyone an expert?

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 07:48 am
I have been looking at Ex-Libris recently, just out of interest and found some beautiful contemporary work.
Like this:
http://users.pandora.be/pandoras_box/images/opus30.jpg

I was wondering if there was anyone out there who was a bit more well versed than myself? I have a couple of questions:

Does it always have to have the owner's name on the plate?
Does it always have to have "ex-libris" somewhere on the plate?
Is it a recommended size normally?

It has peaked my interest to create an edition and just looking at a few types of more contemporary plates, they seem to be not as formal as what I have read, not sticking to the clear cut idea of the name, and title.

Anyone can tell me some interesting stories, that would be really interesting. I can't seem to get any CLEAR info from sites.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,041 • Replies: 30
No top replies

urs53

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 06:17 pm
Well, I wouldn't call myself an expert. But my ex-boyfriend's dad used to do ex-libris and I went to some conventions with them in Germany. I also have some ex-libris of my own. They do not always contain the words ex-libris, but always the name of the owner since they are supposed to show who is the owner of a book. To decide on size, keep in mind that an ex-libris has to fit into a book. So the ones I saw where either about the size of the one you are showing or smaller.

My ex-boyfriend made an ex-libris for me once. It showed a couple of things that belonged to my life at that point. I think it's nice if the picture is in some connection with the owner.

Just some thoughts - I hope it is a bit helpful.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 10:33 am
thank you - it is more helpful. I found most of the sites I looked at just really assumed that you KNEW; I guess most of the people looking do know all there is to know.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 10:49 am
I have no idea how popular ex-libris are these days. When I got in contact with this kind of art it was with real collectors who would also trade at the conventions. So my ex-libris might turn up in somebody's collection...

Nowadays, most of the books I own are paperbacks and a nice ex-libris made by a real artist does not belong in there. Hmm, and I don't even know where I have the prints that I received. I did collect a few, too, framed them and hung them on the wall. They were beautiful. Most be in some box in the basement now. And of course I will have to look for them now that you reminded me!

I just saw you are an Australian in France. What brought you there? One of the people I am working with is just now moving from Sydney to Lyon. I wonder how that will work. He loves surfing - not too many waves in Lyon!
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 05:47 am
yes, it is a shame sometimes that you don't really see really nice books all the time these days. Occasionally you see a hard back that has had some thought put into it as being a beautiful object as well as something you read.

Do people tend to "stick" the ex-libris completely in the books, or is it like archival print framing where you attach it just at the top of the print?

I am here in Lille because I am married to a Frenchman. We had our time in Australia, but now he got a better job that I had there, so we moved. It is my sore point at the moment being here - because I seem to have this catch-cry attached to me at the moment that says; "you are too creative for this job". I have heard it more than once... and all I want to do it work.
Enough about that. The things you do for love.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 10:50 am
The ex-libris I saw in books were glued in completely. That's what I did, too.

I keep my fingers crossed for your job search. Do you like living in France?
0 Replies

mistral

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 11:21 am
See

http://www.zolderman.nl/triona/exlibris.html
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 11:40 am
Thank you for the link mistral...

I have my days, urs, when I like it here and others when it is just too horrible. I am having a few more horrid ones lately, but it is just because of the work situation.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 12:43 pm
G'day BC..

and this'd be the time of the year for horrid - cold and miserable over there...

Happy New Year!
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 10:33 am
happy new year to you Margo!
It hasn't been too cold here the last week, which has been nice. I haven't felt so much like the Michelin Man.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 06:31 am
this thread has made me decide to design some plates of my own - when lending books to friends I should get them back for sure then!
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 06:52 am
perhaps vivian... it is indeed boring trusting people with cds and books and never seeing them again. If I had access to a press, I would be doing it as well.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 12:09 am
I was wringing my hands, years ago, as I leant treasured books never to be seen again.

Clue to others, keep data and follow it up. Be merciless.
Kills me, some of the books I leant.

A book from my father in his last years, on going into medicine, with a long note by him in ink in the front, leant by me to another premed pal... her mother threw it out while cleaning the living room, which I found out two weeks later.

Frizzled tiger teeth.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 03:32 am
ossobuco wrote:

Frizzled tiger teeth.

That's awful Osso - and yes, I've lent books out and realised that they haven't been returned long after and then you aren't necessarily sure who borrowed them or they don't have a trace of the book ...

I get paranoid now about saying I need them back in a week or two for some unspecified project, then I remember them.

Frizzled tiger teeth - brilliant phrase!
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 09:15 am
indeed.
I lose the confidence to ask for them back... I know someone in particular, that I don't see often (at all now!) who has a few of my books and CDs. She seems to have absorbed them; and too much time has passed now to demand them back.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 09:20 am
My father taught me to sign every book I gave as a present. Usually a short note and the date.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 09:35 am
Never a borrower, not a lender be,
for loan oft loses both itself and friend.
ws
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 01:53 pm
exactly shepaints...
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 03:55 pm
oh ben, I have lost too many books and lost
track of too many friends!

I have some beautiful ex-libris which feature
black and white backgrounds with the words ex libris and a space for the name. They have a sort of floating tinted illustration of a castle, tree and bridge pasted upon the b/w background.

One of these days I will learn how to post
a photograph.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 08:31 am
shepaints wrote:

One of these days I will learn how to post
a photograph.

please ?
0 Replies