The First of 3 flash points: Iran

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 05:38 pm
Coming home with some liesure time on my hands Smile

And Boy, do I feel depressed. Crying or Very sad

I just browsed through some posts on some of the other threads. Wisdom begs me to keep my mouth shut like a good New Yorker, but I thought a break from the Deluge of Tsunami Media Coverage might do me some good.

Confused Even though the Tsunami is taking center stage 24/7, I was a little worried that this might distract everyone from the other potential crises of the world. Don't get me wrong, this Disaster is a Full Blown Crises, but from my vantage point, it looks as if we're doing the best we can. Talking to some of the guys at the base and the KAB, the talk and worry wasn't that we might be doing too little, but that we might do too much: That we might pull vital assets (and our eyes) away from some of the world's flash points, thereby allowing our enemies an opportunity to strike. We settled on our belief, as we usually do, that our leaders were doing the job as best as humanly possible.

That said, the conversation for the most part ventured into two specific hot spots : The DMZ (Korean Peninsula) and the Straights of Hormuz (Persian Gulf). But it was the Straights of Hormuz that dominated our discussion. And Iran vs the US was at the center:

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article7147.htm

This thread will probably read like our discussion: Those who think we should establish relations with Iran (Minority in our group) and those who want to see Iran's Regime fall (Majority of our group). Most of the Iran discussion surrounded technical aspects.

While I know that this is an emotional topic, (And I'm an emotional bastard like you) I hope we can find an interesting dialogue. Or we can shout insults at each other all night long, to no avail and no profit Laughing

P.S. I think everyone should lay off Francis. The French really aren't all that bad. They're not perfect (place cliche here Rolling Eyes ), but I've known a few from living in New York and going to Canada. And, believe it or not: the French Military isn't too shabby, either. I've heard all of the French jokes you could ever toss around. For Christ sakes, I'm in the US Military. Where do you think all those jokes came from? Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,037 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 07:42 pm
Actually, the danger of heightened tension and conflict from the DPRK is lower than it has been for some time. Kim Jong-Il is "doing something", but it is still unclear exactly what that is. It is virtually certain, however, that he is not likely to stage an attack on ROK this winter. The current administration's efforts in Afghanistan and Iraq is just the sort of message that Jong-Il responds to by retrenchment. Time is working against him, though US forces in Korea also have their own difficulties to overcome. I wouldn't worry too much about the Korea situation at present.

Though you didn't mention the Pakistan-Indian situation, I regard that as still extremely dangerous. Tensions do seem to have relaxed somewhat, and the danger of a nuclear exchange is less than it was a year ago. On the other hand, the radical Islamic movement has deep roots in the ISI. Taliban supporters still predominate in some distant provinces, and a radical coup is always a possibility. It was heartening to see that Pakistan made a very prompt offer of assistance to India after the tsunami.

Iran is another of those places that bears close watching. Iran has been a partner with the DPRK, and that is disturbing. DPRK has shipped prototype missiles to Iran that might greatly extend its reach. Iran has acquired the capability of producing nuclear weapons from Pakistan and probably the DPRK. We could see a "nuclear" Iran at anytime, and that would be very provocative to Israel and some other regional states. On the other hand, there has been some signs of moderation in Iranian leaders. Not much, but some crumbs for the hopeful. Iran may be sending more "support" over the border to aid Islamic radicals there than we would like, but they are at least keeping a low profile. I don't expect the straights to be an issue for awhile.

Stepped up terrorism directed against the interim Iraqi government, and designed to ruin the democratic election at the end of the month should be expected. It is terribly important to the "insurgents" (Saddam loyalists and radical Islamic forces) to keep Iraqi citizens from making their wishes known by free and open elections. Personally, I think the Coalition forces should step up the combat tempo against the Iraqi terrorists in the weeks ahead. Keep them so busy dodging bullets that they have little time for bombs and execution-style murders. The legitimate Iraqi forces need are fullest support over the next month, and thank god we have an administration that is likely to provide that support.

Finally, though the PRC isn't currently an apparent threat of the first order, it should be watched very carefully. The PRC, in my estimation, is the most likely threat to peace ... in the long run. The danger of it going critical quickly with far ranging consequences is very large.
0 Replies

rykehaven

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 11:06 pm
It's always perilous to speculate on any basis for intel freaks who can never have enough intel. And once I think I have enough, I woefully realize that I've been led astray by smoke and mirrors, usually of my own creation *sigh* But the temptation, and necessity, is irresistable one way or another Smile

What do you do for a living? Civilian? Commercial? Government?

Asherman wrote:
Actually, the danger of heightened tension and conflict from the DPRK is lower than it has been for some time. Kim Jong-Il is "doing something", but it is still unclear exactly what that is. It is virtually certain, however, that he is not likely to stage an attack on ROK this winter. The current administration's efforts in Afghanistan and Iraq is just the sort of message that Jong-Il responds to by retrenchment. Time is working against him, though US forces in Korea also have their own difficulties to overcome. I wouldn't worry too much about the Korea situation at present.

I defer to you and anyone else in this regard. My knowledge in this conflict is mostly media-based *ugh* with the honorable exception of discussions at Walter Reed. And some of our contingencies in Logistics and Seashield of course.

Do you have any updates about 2ID's luck at moving South? Have they already moved out of Camp Red Cloud? (Forgot the city) How has the sale of the Yongsan land gone? Has it gotten anywhere? And how's morale? Of the grunts in Korea? They're probably jealous of the guys who went to Iraq (and got their combat patches).

Quote:
Though you didn't mention the Pakistan-Indian situation, I regard that as still extremely dangerous. Tensions do seem to have relaxed somewhat, and the danger of a nuclear exchange is less than it was a year ago. On the other hand, the radical Islamic movement has deep roots in the ISI. Taliban supporters still predominate in some distant provinces, and a radical coup is always a possibility. It was heartening to see that Pakistan made a very prompt offer of assistance to India after the tsunami.

Does anyone know what the Procedures are like for Nuclear Weapons release for these three countries? Pakistan, India and China? All intersect Kashmir, of course. Particularly Pakistan? There is no football, is there? Ever had a dull sword? an empty quiver?

Pure Speculation: General Musharraf has come through a few times. Perhaps the most important factor is that he has nowhere else to go, which works to our advantage. The Islamic establishment to the West and within his country wants him dead, so I think it's safe to say that he'll never cross that burned bridge. The biggest threat, presumably, has been the acquistion of Pakistan's nukes by radical elements. Just as a side note that there is a small upside to the Pakistani regime's precarious appearance: Both China and India won't try to undermine Musharraf too much for fear of an Islamic Nuke. His insecurity as well as that of his neighbors' (I'll speculate that he doesn't trust us, but that he trusts us more than his neighbors) is useful to a degree.

Quote:
Iran is another of those places that bears close watching. Iran has been a partner with the DPRK, and that is disturbing. DPRK has shipped prototype missiles to Iran that might greatly extend its reach. Iran has acquired the capability of producing nuclear weapons from Pakistan and probably the DPRK. We could see a "nuclear" Iran at anytime, and that would be very provocative to Israel and some other regional states. On the other hand, there has been some signs of moderation in Iranian leaders. Not much, but some crumbs for the hopeful. Iran may be sending more "support" over the border to aid Islamic radicals there than we would like, but they are at least keeping a low profile. I don't expect the straights to be an issue for awhile.

It also makes you wonder whether or not they'll coordinate their public mischief displays with each other, doesn't it? Laughing I think there's a method to this "Evil Axis" madness.

Seriously Confused The Straits are always an issue to us. All those damn missiles and tracking radars lighting us up, the boghammers and probing air runs, listening to ghost subs in the cacophony or looking at the "feather" that turns out to be a wave. And oh BTW, the Iranians have practically declared to Allah that when they do attack, we roaches won't respond well to gas *yuk yuk* Now I know what the AirForce felt like. They got shot at or painted every goddamn week, while everyone said it was a non-issue. Ah well.... Laughing

PS Whoever decided to let that Ship of Missiles go to Yemen just because the Roks were whining about the ugly Nork Stares should be lobotomized and interned at the bottom of the sea.

Quote:
Stepped up terrorism directed against the interim Iraqi government, and designed to ruin the democratic election at the end of the month should be expected. It is terribly important to the "insurgents" (Saddam loyalists and radical Islamic forces) to keep Iraqi citizens from making their wishes known by free and open elections. Personally, I think the Coalition forces should step up the combat tempo against the Iraqi terrorists in the weeks ahead. Keep them so busy dodging bullets that they have little time for bombs and execution-style murders. The legitimate Iraqi forces need are fullest support over the next month, and thank god we have an administration that is likely to provide that support.

Forecast: From what I heard from the Marines, they're not really concerned that there will be theocratic regime a'la Iran as a result of the elections. Apparently, the media is oversimplifying their analyses by dividing it into Shiite, Sunni and Kurd rivalries. All politics really are local, and to a lesser degree, tribal it seems, although they admit the extreme elements mirror the media prejudices. But that's not as big and prevalent as it seems - far from it. The marines believe that once the elections are held, a "moderate" government will take power. They're confident about that, and now so am I. It will succeed, of course, as long as it has the military power to back it up. Politics over there are very much the politics of the strong. And we're there, so they have a safety. For now, all these operations are "pruning" (her word for it), a war of attrition in which we're willing to take some losses as long as we can get a favourable, though still tragic, exchange. "We buy time, while theirs runs out."

Meanwhile, the Iraqi "NCOs" and special forces are coming into their own. In the formative months to come, "they'll be the backbone of the new Iraqi Army, which in turn becomes the spine of a reborn country" (again, their words)

Accordingly, the end-result a year from now will be that the media are going to have a tougher time finding failures. Like Afgahnistan.

I think they underestimate their enemy though Sad

Oh, not terrorists and "allies", but that the media aren't inventive enough to smear their efforts as a failure (They're really pissed at the establishment media).

Quote:
Finally, though the PRC isn't currently an apparent threat of the first order, it should be watched very carefully. The PRC, in my estimation, is the most likely threat to peace ... in the long run. The danger of it going critical quickly with far ranging consequences is very large

My thoughts: Long term threats are always threats of the first order in my book, but that's parsing words. I know what you mean. It isn't "imminent" but China is the source of our problems in more ways than anyone cn imagine. Much like the Soviets were. No, we were never really "at war" with them, but we warred against one another by proxy. Clue: China did whatever it could to make sure we lost against the Taliban and Iraq. And most people still don't recognize them as the enemy, just as the majority of our "allies" didn't recognize the Soviets as the enemy. That is their greatest advantage, I think.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 01:19 am
I'm a retired old duffer who has some contacts in the military and intelligence communities. Almost everything I know is available from open sources, or is long out of date. It sounds as if you are pretty knowledgable yourself, and served in Korea.

The move of 2ID is still up in the air, because ROK doesn't want to pony up the cost of acquiring the land. They would like us further south, but as usual will take forever adjusting to it. The younger people are, as you probably know, the problem. Older Koreans and ranking officials know the score, but they get lost in the babble. Some troops have already left for Iraq, but the bigger drawdown will probably be 18mos to 2 years down stream. The reduced troop strength is mostly in support units. I can't comment on moral at troop level, but things higher up are alright.

Both India and Pakistan claim to have good control of their nuclear weapons, but neither are anything close to the failsafes exercised by the U.S., U.S.S.R., Britain, or France. China probably has very good control over its stockpiles, and I see nothing to worry about with the Israelis. Mao said that nuclear weapons are "paper tigers", and he wasn't far wrong in assessing the restraint nuclear countries have so far shown. Small numbers of nuclear weapons are useless if they provoke massive retaliation from someone like the U.S. Nuclear weapons are good negotiation counters though. The danger is two-fold. First, that some yahoo makes a very big mistake and preemptively launches against an enemy. If, for instance, general conflict broke out between India and Pakistan the odds are that Indian troops would have a great deal of initial success. A battlefield commander, given use of a tactical nuke might well use it to avoid being overrun, and the dogs of war would be off the leash. The second danger is that one or more nuclear devices fall into the hands of an international gang of terrorists who would leave no clear target for retaliation. Neither case would be the end of civilization, but a lot of people could die really fast.

It is true that Iran has the capability of closing the straight, but it would not be in their best interests. Iran doesn't want to invite US military response anymore than Jong-Il does. I'm sure the Mullahs are quietly cheering on the radicals, and providing covert support wherever they can. They need to be treated with the same basic methods we've learned to adopt in dealing with the DPRK. Iraq used gas against Iran, but if Iran responded in kind, I missed it. Iran did use trench warfare techniques that were primitive even in 1918. Using little kids to disarm minefields in no-man's land is pretty ugly and would only be used if they had few other resources. Iran is still backward and hasn't even a portion of the DPRK's military muscle. I think they'll stay on the sidelines while rooting for anyone who can deal the West a blow.

The shipment of missiles to Yemen from the DPRK is well known, and perhaps we shouldn't talk too much about it.

There are BTW a number of militarily knowledgable folks here. Timberlako is a retired Marine, and Georgeob1 is a retired field-grade naval officer. Lets see if you can identify which know a little something about war, and which are armchair strategists who believe that if we'd just disband our military the world would soon be at perpetual peace.
0 Replies

rykehaven

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 08:26 pm
Asherman wrote:
I'm a retired old duffer who has some contacts in the military and intelligence communities. Almost everything I know is available from open sources, or is long out of date. It sounds as if you are pretty knowledgable yourself, and served in Korea..

The move of 2ID is still up in the air, because ROK doesn't want to pony up the cost of acquiring the land. They would like us further south, but as usual will take forever adjusting to it. The younger people are, as you probably know, the problem. Older Koreans and ranking officials know the score, but they get lost in the babble. Some troops have already left for Iraq, but the bigger drawdown will probably be 18mos to 2 years down stream. The reduced troop strength is mostly in support units. I can't comment on moral at troop level, but things higher up are alright.

Korea is more the perview of the Army, and to a lesser degree the Airforce. However, in my run-ins with Army personell (Go Navy!) they make it clear that duty on the Peninsula is the worst draw. I haven't heard anything from the Airforce, nor have I ever thought to ask, but I know they keep an Airbase or two there.

Some of the stories I heard of Korea, however, mirror that of stories I know about in Naval experiences in Japan. In Korea, there are a lot of troublemakers, often quite young, who specifically target Army personell by claiming things like physical abuse and/or rape. Making false claims, accusations, mob violence, and the proverbial "set-up" is one thing the 2ID apparently has to watch out for. And there's something else that tugs on my consience:

These stories are familiar to me, because I can tell you it definitely happens in Japan, though perhaps not recently. Except in this case, it was the Marines and the Navy who were the target. A few years ago, there was a young US Sailor, who's name I forgot, he was accused of rape by a girl in Okinawa. This wasn't a he said/she said case either. The sailor had followed all the rules: He was with his "buddies." There is a Buddy system that holds that you will not go on Liberty without other people to watch your back - and vouch for you. And his buddies did. The other Okinawan girls at the bar where they met also vouched for his story, interestingly enough.

And you can guess what happened next.

None of that ever made the Japanese papers. If it made the courts, it didn't make a difference. And of course, the Japanese never allowed him to question, to face his accuser. Worse yet, the Japanese had full control of the legal proceedings, interrogated and imprisoned him without his lawyer, SOFA treaty be damned.

But the one thing that keeps sticking in my mind after all this time, was what I felt when I reviewed a couple of the related articles being printed in the USA. They all mirrored the Japanese versions, both in their aggonizing sorrow for "the victim" and in the condemnation of the America and us in general - except for one big detail:

The sailor was black.

It doesn't matter you say?

Agreed, it shouldn't. I know this as well as anyone and those in the military understand what I'm talking about. We all have friends who we know of only by name; color of skin has been relegated to a significance equal to color of shirts, if not lower.

My point is: It matters to the Japanese.

ALOT.

I'm Asian, and can pass for Japanese easily enough as long as you don't bow or talk to me. But most of my friends can't. People in the US spout platitudes about the presence of intolerance. They're fools. Until they've walked the streets of Yokohama with a black man, they've never seen the tenets of real Racism.

The US Media never printed a picture of him, never made any mention of that he was black. But the Japanese media did, in the most vitriolic of terms. I couldn't read the Japanese papers, but believe me: Many US Sailors can, , especially their Japanese wives. Besides, looking at the front pages told me everything I needed to know. Some even made excuses for it (It's their culture). More disgustingly, one went as far as to adopt the local outlook (It's true when they say you can tell just by looking at them).

I had never been so angry. I knocked him flat on his back - and was punished accordingly.

To be fair, he was protecting his Japanese wife's, her family's, opinion, her "face". He thought of it as "Honor".

And in the meantime, a shipmate got hung out to dry. By our government. Even by some of us. So much for loyalty.

So much for Honor.

Quote:
Both India and Pakistan claim to have good control of their nuclear weapons, but neither are anything close to the failsafes exercised by the U.S., U.S.S.R., Britain, or France. China probably has very good control over its stockpiles, and I see nothing to worry about with the Israelis. Mao said that nuclear weapons are "paper tigers", and he wasn't far wrong in assessing the restraint nuclear countries have so far shown. Small numbers of nuclear weapons are useless if they provoke massive retaliation from someone like the U.S. Nuclear weapons are good negotiation counters though. The danger is two-fold. First, that some yahoo makes a very big mistake and preemptively launches against an enemy. If, for instance, general conflict broke out between India and Pakistan the odds are that Indian troops would have a great deal of initial success. A battlefield commander, given use of a tactical nuke might well use it to avoid being overrun, and the dogs of war would be off the leash. The second danger is that one or more nuclear devices fall into the hands of an international gang of terrorists who would leave no clear target for retaliation. Neither case would be the end of civilization, but a lot of people could die really fast.

Interesting. Many of us believe that the Israelis have long since acquired nuclear weapons, including me, but I've never been able to confirm our suspicions, and I suppose I'm not meant to...

Speculation: I wonder how the Russians are doing, upgrading their nuclear weapons, while the funding for ours gets cuts. Granted that theirs concentrates on MIRVs, a reinforement of the Strategic (brought on by TMD?), while ours concentrates on moving into the Tactical realm. The term "paper tiger" (Mao said that, eh?) is a political term perhaps more than a military one. If your enemy believes that you won't use a weapon, that weapon doesn't exist. One of the precautions you can take to avoid getting hit without knowing who to retaliate against is to get ahead of the curve: Ensure you know what those weapons are before he launches them. If the weapon can then be traced back to him, giving the Nuke to a terrorist is the same as launching it from an ICBM.

Or ensure those weapons aren't newly created in the first place, which is Bush's goal.

Another option is to threaten to hit every unfriendly country if ANY nukes explode in the US, especially because ANY nuke development requires some state sponsorship. A bad outcome I agree, but one that might occur if all else fails.

If our weapons actually DO become "paper tigers" in the eyes of our enemies, God help us all.

How detailed is our knowledge of other countries' nuke stockpiles and ability to identify them? Who actually inspects the Russians in our agreements with them? And others?

Quote:
It is true that Iran has the capability of closing the straight, but it would not be in their best interests. Iran doesn't want to invite US military response anymore than Jong-Il does. I'm sure the Mullahs are quietly cheering on the radicals, and providing covert support wherever they can. They need to be treated with the same basic methods we've learned to adopt in dealing with the DPRK. Iraq used gas against Iran, but if Iran responded in kind, I missed it. Iran did use trench warfare techniques that were primitive even in 1918. Using little kids to disarm minefields in no-man's land is pretty ugly and would only be used if they had few other resources. Iran is still backward and hasn't even a portion of the DPRK's military muscle. I think they'll stay on the sidelines while rooting for anyone who can deal the West a blow.

Yes. I agree that's what should be done - but they shouldn't be allowed to get Nukes (unless they already have). Do they have them you think? Everyone says N Korea does (they said they did), but I'm a bit of a skeptic.

That I posted the article in the first post, didn't mean that I agreed with it. I did a quick search and it seemed the best one I could find (which goes to show you the type of information in the media elite). His analyses is interesting, but his facts are seriously flawed, and besides - however widespread his conclusions are, they only reflect a prejudice looking for data that fits.

To be short, the Navy is in a bottleneck, yes, but we aren't as helpless as he says we are.

Quote:
The shipment of missiles to Yemen from the DPRK is well known, and perhaps we shouldn't talk too much about it.

There are BTW a number of militarily knowledgable folks here. Timberlako is a retired Marine, and Georgeob1 is a retired field-grade naval officer. Lets see if you can identify which know a little something about war, and which are armchair strategists who believe that if we'd just disband our military the world would soon be at perpetual peace.

Did you mean that one of them voted for John Kerry? Laughing

I met Farmerman, who was in the Army Corps of Engineers, and he was very kind.
0 Replies

rykehaven

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 08:56 pm
Asherman wrote:

Oh, and also... Field-grade must be the Army designation. In the Navy, we call them Line Officers. Or CWO, which crosses many lines. CWO's are always cool for some reason Cool
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 08:35 am
Field Grade is O-6 and above. Naval Captains are Field Grade. For what its worth, my oldest son is a career Army CWO who is an Asian specialist and has served over eight years in Korea.

Many strongly believe that Israel has nuclear weapons, but there they haven't done any tests and there is no confirming information in open sources. Not knowing whether the Israelis have nuclear capability for sure, but also knowing that they would use them in extreme circumstances is probably a stabilizing factor in the region. Iran has the capability to produce atomic weapons, but probably have not done so yet. Iran has adequate testing grounds, and would probably pop one off to announce their possession. On the other hand, why provoke the Israelis if they can avoid it? These radicals may hate Israel and carryout repeated terrorist attacks, but they know to a certainty that there will be serious consequences if they go too far. I believe that the DPRK has some nuclear devices. Not many, not tested and bulky, but probably would go pop if used. A few DPRK short range missiles might be made capable of carrying a nuclear warhead of crude design. They haven't a manned bomber capable of leaving the region, or even Korean airspace if we want to stop it. However, there are other means of delivery.

Atomic weapons have become almost purely defensive weapons. They are "paper tigers", in that they can not be used except in response to a prior atomic attack, or in desperation when facing certain defeat. Atomic weapons are expensive not only in systemic costs, but in the public fallout that would come with their first use. Some tactical weapons are available in our arsenal that might better accomplish our goals than conventional weapons, but the choice to go nuclear scares the dickens out of the Command Authority, for good reason.

The old Soviet stockpiles are being deactivated with a lot of help from the US, but much remains to be done. Many of those old weapons would turnout to be duds if used, but pose a serious radioactive danger. Modern nuclear weapons have to be regularly serviced or they will lose their effectiveness in a relatively short time. In the chaos of disintegration many weapons of various sizes have been "lost". Sloppy book keeping and the secrecy of the old system are mostly to blame. So far as anyone can tell, none have been transferred to other nations. Even if an old soviet warhead found its way into the wrong hands, conversion would probably be difficult, dangerous, and perhaps end up unsuccessful anyway. Not something we want to bet on, so the money we spend in deactivating the old soviet stockpile is money well spent. At the same time, we've been drawing down our own stockpile starting with the older, more obsolete weapons. Our arsenal is well-maintained and its control is very tight. No one should ever lose a moment's sleep over the US nuclear capability, unless they think they might "nuke" a US asset with impunity. With someone like GW Bush at the helm, that's not likely to happen.

You can't separate at the strategic level war and politics. Both are so intertwined that for either to fail would result in national disaster. Without a credible and effective military no diplomatic initiative has any chance of success. We can pass all the international laws and make all the international treaties anyone might wish, but they are all in the end only paper unless there is a credible military to enforce them. National sovereignty is carried on its soldier's backs. The outlaws of the world have no respect for international law or treaties. They scoff at the law abiding and tailor their crimes to test the patience of their victim's desire for peace and order. The unwillingness of the US to take effective military measures when challenged has repeatedly ended up costing more soldiers and civilians their lives than if we had acted promptly and decisively. You can not pay blackmail, nor can peace be found in hurling empty threats at a bully.

Racism is the rule in many parts of the world. Asia is noted for its deep racial prejudices. Japan may be the worst place in the world not to be Japanese. Koreans and the aboriginal Ainu are still treated as second class citizens and distained. Prejudice against Westerners, especially Blacks, can be found through out the region. One of the reasons to move 2ID further south is to decrease friction between US military personnel and young provocateurs. Our military has been very sensitive to local prejudices, but all it takes is one slip and the leftist media is out for blood. A young girl was accidently killed by a US tank several years ago. The army had taken every precaution, but somehow this girl ended up under a tank tread. That case is still being used by anti-American elements in Korea to this day. Sometimes its hard to avoid cynicism when the people you are trying to protect at some personal sacrifice are determined to hate you for your good deeds. Discipline and pride in our professionalism is the best shield available. Anyway, I believe that United States is one of the least prejudiced countries in the world, but then I'm an American.
0 Replies

rykehaven

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 11:00 pm
*hysterical chuckle*

The Training cycle is over! ... for now. *cheers!* We've done wonders in FEP, UD, INSURV, Mass Casualty and the rest.

Sorry.

I just had to get that in. But after running myself ragged for Training Teams and AAW/ASW/SUW coordination drills for weeks on end, I'm exhausted. So is the crew for that matter. Many are taking gratuitous leave following a job well done. And why not? The Engineers especially deserve a BZ. I should have put in for Leave myself. God knows I'm already in danger of forfeiting excess weeks of leave (Like last year).

Alot of things have appparently happened while I was gone. I had to dig back in the archival pages for this thread. It'll be nice to post again. Talked to my Aunt and we touched on the above situation.

OK. I'm tired. I'm Beat. I'm rambling. Let me sleep on it and dream of the Battle E. Tomorrow I'll gather my thoughts after the workday.

P.S. I still can't find anyone who calls a Navy Captain a "Field-Grade Officer." All of my colleagues agree that it's an Army term *yawn* I'll post an elaboration later.
0 Replies