I want to run away from home

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 03:26 pm
Okay, I'm actually an adult, LOL, so technically, it's not considered "running away" since I don't need anyone's permission to go anywhere I want, but I wanted some advice from you all......

I lost my decent paying job and now I can only find low paying ones, and I moved back into my parent's home to save money on rent. However, I don't want to live with my parents forever, I doubt they'd want that, too. LOL.

Now for my questions.....

I want to move to California(most likely San francisco), once I get there, then what do I do to get settled there?

I mean how much money do you think i'll need to start a new life from scratch? 1000? 2000 dollars in hand? Like where would I sleep with no car? Do they have lot's of available motels you can rent for like 50 bucks a night? How much are they? Is it easy to find a job in san fran?

Even if it's not San Fran, maybe you can give me general advice about moving and how much money I'd need in hand and how to become settled in a new place without knowing anyone there.

Would appreciate advice, thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,464 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Seed

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 03:39 pm
i go with you chris... then we can pool our funds together... and alternate sleeping in the tub...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 03:42 pm
San Francisco is very expensive – probably one of the most expensive cities in the US for housing so it is unlikely you will find something for $50. Maybe if they have any hostels.
0 Replies

chris56789

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:02 pm
Seed wrote:
i go with you chris... then we can pool our funds together... and alternate sleeping in the tub...

Just out of nowhere, you'd just pack up and move with some random stranger? Surprised
0 Replies

chris56789

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:04 pm
Linkat wrote:
San Francisco is very expensive - probably one of the most expensive cities in the US for housing so it is unlikely you will find something for $50. Maybe if they have any hostels.

You mean they don't have motels where you can stay just for the night? Or are you saying they do have motels for the night, but it will cost a lot more than $50??? If so, then how much would it be?
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:14 pm
Do you know anybody in SF, Chris?
Staying at a motel might not be a great idea if you're on a tight budget, and if you do know someone in SF you might be able to save a little money by staying at their place or renting a room, or something. $50/night will add up to much more than 1-2 G's when adding all the other expenses you'll be having.
You'll need time to settle in.

I really wish you the best of luck.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:20 pm
i am serious... by me saying tub i mean im williing to sleep in a tub... that way we can get a room with one bed and swap out int he tub... a tub can be comfy if'n you aint to tall
0 Replies

chris56789

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:26 pm
superjuly wrote:
Do you know anybody in SF, Chris?
Staying at a motel might not be a great idea if you're on a tight budget, and if you do know someone in SF you might be able to save a little money by staying at their place or renting a room, or something. $50/night will add up to much more than 1-2 G's when adding all the other expenses you'll be having.
You'll need time to settle in.

I really wish you the best of luck.

The problem is, I don't know anybody in San Fran. How long do you think it will take me to find a job, is it hard to find one there?
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:27 pm
where do you live now chris?
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:31 pm
chris56789 wrote:

The problem is, I don't know anybody in San Fran. How long do you think it will take me to find a job, is it hard to find one there?

I don't know.. But I'm sure it depends on what line of work we're talking about. My guess would be as good as yours.

I've only been to SF on vacation once. I wanted to move there so bad after that.. hehe
0 Replies

chris56789

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:32 pm
edited.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:37 pm
By the night? My man, they have motels where you can stay by the hour, for about the same rate.

California without a car? Well. . . .
0 Replies

chris56789

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 01:10 am
roger wrote:
By the night? My man, they have motels where you can stay by the hour, for about the same rate.

California without a car? Well. . . .

Motels by the hour? How much do they cost around? How do people who move to cali make it without a car? Or can i just take the bus everywhere?

Anymore advice out there?
0 Replies

chris56789

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 01:54 am
Seed wrote:
i am serious... by me saying tub i mean im williing to sleep in a tub... that way we can get a room with one bed and swap out int he tub... a tub can be comfy if'n you aint to tall

I'll think about it, cause I'm not moving right away. If I go, it will not be until several months from now. That's if I can save up money, too.

I'm not sure if I plan to go with someone or stay with someone yet. I appreciate your offer though.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 08:32 am
where are you moving from chris?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 08:45 am
If you are serious about moving to San Francisco and do not mind staying in a dorm-like atmosphere then try hosteling. Here is a link to the San Francisco area: http://www.norcalhostels.org/ourHostels.html I believe you have to be a member, but typically membership is not very expensive. Beds cost usually some where in the $20 range. You won’t have much privacy, will need to share showering facilities and bathrooms. There also may be curfews, but if you want a cheap, clean place to sleep it is a good alternative. I have stayed in some hostels in Great Britain and usually they are filled with young adults in their twenties.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 08:48 am
This is a pretty good website, with a lot of info:
http://www.bestplaces.net/city/ccompare.aspx

You need a place with:

Good public transportation system, since you don't have a car.

Nice standard of living at lower cost.

Low unemployment rate....................and jobs in your field.

You need to check out the going rate for apartments.

It seems to me that you would need to take at least enough money to keep you going for at least 3-4 months. When you rent an apartment, you will probably have to put down a security deposit of 1-2 month's rent. You would need to put a deposit on electricity, phone, etc.

I doubt very much that a couple of thousand dollars would do it.
0 Replies