Harvey Fierstein as Tevye: Sounds Crazy, No?

mac11

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 02:09 pm
Bree, have they announced how long Harvey is staying with the show?
0 Replies

bree

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 02:56 pm
mac, I haven't seen anything that says how long Harvey will be in Fiddler, but I'd be surprised if it's less than six months.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 02:59 pm
Open run? Like "Gem", August Wilson's latest with Phylicia Rashad in what 'they're' saying is another award-winning performance. I can't get away to NYC until April and I'm hoping it's still running then. If "Fiddler..." is still running in May or June, I'd give serious thought to trying for tickets and getting back up there to catch Miss Harvey's performance.
0 Replies

bree

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 03:01 pm
Yes, open run for the show.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 03:12 pm
April, May, June?

<pricking up ears>
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 06:19 pm
Sometimes I do wish I lived in NYC. (Almost happened.) I just thought of it while reading a review of Savion Glover's new show, wouldn't it be cool to read the review, call the sitter, and go?

Have to get more aware of what's going on here before getting too maudlin, though.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 08:12 pm
Savion has a new show? Is the review in the NY Times? Didn't see it.

If we lived in NYC, our money would more than likely be eaten up by the rent and keeping the lights on and food on the table before we were able to purchase theatre tickets. Babysitter? How much would that cost?

I think we've got it better soz, being able to jet in and out.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 08:29 pm
Link to NYT article about Savion Glover's new show, Classical Savion.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 08:31 pm
Thanks, maxisoneinamillion.
Wow!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 08:36 pm
He's got such a creative challenge, keeping the artform of tap alive. And he seems to be the only one still trying.
I try to keep tabs on his career, interested in how he'll manage it.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 09:03 pm
I saw him in The Tap Dance Kid nearly 20 years ago. He was amazing even then.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 10:32 pm
It's fun to remember him back then. He was about eight, nine, ten years old and in that young pony stage of all arms and legs.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 06:33 am
Indeed, Savion Glover is one of a kind. I saw his show last night at the Joyce and was both thrilled and disappointed. His musicality is truly amazing. It showed up particularly in his first piece, Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons". He could be seen either as the orchestra leader or an additional instrument. For me at least, the show was a bit too long-one hour and forty minutes without intermission. His mild banter with the musicians is enjoyed by many but is a turn off for me. As the article states he is the only dancer which is an improvement over last years show at which he had four or five additional dancers who paled by comparison. Though my report sounds a bit negative, I strongly recommend the show for any tap enthusiast with an opportunity to see it.
The Joyce is a wonderful venue for dance. It is comfortable and there are virtually no bad seats. A nice touch was the photo of Gregory Hines atop the piano.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 08:15 am
Flyboy - you're so lucky to have had that opportunity. Thanks for the report.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 09:03 am
Flyboy, if you don't mind me asking, how much was that ticket?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 09:10 am
Ooooh, flyboy, you lucky fella. Thanks for the first-hand account.

eoe, you're probably quite right about the economic realities -- that's a big part of why we decided against it. (Professorship at Columbia -- hubby was strongly encouraged to apply, but didn't for that and other reasons. Sigh.)

On the other hand, we could go to NYC and have a hotel paid for and his plane ticket paid for pretty much whenever we want (for hubby to give a talk there), so we should up and DO that sometime.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 09:13 am
You gotta pay to live in the most exciting city in the world!
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 09:53 am
Looking forward to hearing the reviews of Fierstein's performance. Thanks for the thread, Mac. I love to hear you guys talk about New York.
But, the idea of you having a New York GTG - that is really exciting. Very Happy
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 12:13 pm
eoe, As a Joyce member, I paid $32. Non members paid $42. As best I recall, $42 is the most they ever charge for any artists. Groups like Merce Cunningham or Les Ballets Trocadero de Monte Carlo go for that price. One of the best bargains in NYC.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 12:18 pm
Wow, what a great deal!
0 Replies