Our new weapon against terror: meow meow meow meow meow meow

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 11:21 am
Fresh Details Emerge on Harsh Methods at Guantánamo
(NY Times: registration required)

(excerpt)
Military officials who participated in the practices said in October that prisoners had been tormented by being chained to a low chair for hours with bright flashing lights in their eyes and audio tapes played loudly next to their ears, including songs by Lil' Kim and Rage Against the Machine and rap performances by Eminem.

In a recent interview, another former official added new details, saying that many interrogators used a different audio tape on prisoners, a mix of babies crying and the television commercial for Meow Mix in which the jingle consists of repetition of the word "meow."

I don't know whether we should be complaining about this to the UN, the courts, or the ASPCA. Truly, we are beyond the looking glass.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,948 • Replies: 37
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 11:26 am
Now, if the prisoners had to listen to, "We All Live in a Yellow Submarine", for hours on end, THAT would be torture! Laughing
0 Replies

Joe Republican

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 11:36 am
Re: Our new weapon against terror: meow meow meow meow meow
joefromchicago wrote:

including songs by Lil' Kim and Rage Against the Machine and rap performances by Eminem.

I wonder if Mosh by Eminem was one of the songs used. . . somehow I doubt it.

For those elder a2k posters, here is the link, it is actually a good video (provided you are not a Bushivck supporter)

http://mosh.eminem.com/video/
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 11:42 am
By a strange coincidence, I watched the Woody Allen film "Bananas" over the weekend. In one scene, an interrogator is attempting to extract information from a recalcitrant rebel. "We are playing the entire score of 'Naughty Marietta' over and over. He will talk" explains the interrogator. The rebel, in obvious distress, pleads "no more! I cannot stand operetta!"

Nevertheless, it is sad indeed that official government policy and broad satire are fast becoming indistinguishable.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 11:45 am
joefromchicago wrote:
. . .Nevertheless, it is sad indeed that official government policy and broad satire are fast becoming indistinguishable.

Good observation.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 12:15 pm
We've found a practical use for Culture Shock.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 12:44 pm
Didn't Janet Reno try that in Waco? The music blasted over loudspeakers, I mean. Can't remember what songs they played, though.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:03 pm
Everything old is new again

Quote:
FALLUJAH, Iraq - In Fallujah's darkened, empty streets, U.S. troops blast AC/DC's "Hell's Bells" and other rock music full volume from a huge speaker, hoping to grate on the nerves of this Sunni Muslim city's gunmen and give a laugh to Marines along the front line.

Unable to advance farther into the city, an Army psychological operations team hopes a mix of heavy metal and insults shouted in Arabic - including, "You shoot like a goat herder" - will draw gunmen to step forward and attack. But no luck Thursday night.

The loud music recalls the Army's use of rap and rock to help flush out Panamanian leader Manuel Noriega after the December 1989 invasion on his country, and the FBI's blaring progressively more irritating tunes in an attempt to end a standoff with armed members of the Branch Davidian cult in Waco, Texas in 1993.

link

They tried/are trying a similar approach on our subway system

Quote:
When Toronto's Kennedy Subway Station had a problem with teenage gangs and loiterers, the solution was to pipe in Mozart over the P.A. The hope was that the young people hanging-out there would leave
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:09 pm
Someone recently asked me whether I believe in God. I said that I did not know. My first response to reading the headline of this thread was to pray for this terribly misguided nation. I guess then that I do believe. However, I also believe that (s)he is not on our side.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:56 pm
plainoldme wrote:
However, I also believe that (s)he is not on our side.

I thought, your dollars are three dimensional (besides the exchange rate vs. the Euro)? Just turn the coin, plainoldme!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 04:08 pm
The brand of cat food that terrorists hate:

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/39500/3982168YV_w.jpg

I found this while wandering through the intarwebs, and I just have to ask: where the hell did this come from? It looks like MeowMix, but take a closer look at the package. "Fresh of sea crunchy good good tuna?" "Yum yum tastes that pussies mew as like name?" No wonder terrorists hate it so much.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:50 pm
Using music and the sounds of screams and cries has been a part of psycological warfare for a while now.

Israel uses it a lot (for example, when militants are cornered in a temple that they don't wish to enter).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:02 pm
They did it with Noriega also.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:48 pm
I fully understand the psychological truama of "Hells Bells" and will never consider it apporpriate for torture of even my worst enemy.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:48 pm
These tactics are common and older than Joshua. War is war.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 11:14 am
Man's inhumanity towards men...
I wonder how it is that acts of hostile aggression are supposedly calculated to be conducive to peaceful resolution of conflict?

Funny how the agreements re: humane treatment that were forged via the Geneva Convention... are only relevant to how WE are treated, and not pertinent to the way we treat others.

I guess "All are equal, but some are more equal than others"...

Treating others like dirt is NOT the way to "Win Friends and Influence People"...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 12:09 pm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/640000/images/_644886_bush_speech150.jpg

"My fellow Americans, I have only one thing to say to those terrorists who seek to destroy our freedoms and undermine our cherished liberties:

Meow meow meow meow
Meow meow meow meow
Meow meow meow meow
Meow meow meow meow

Thank you, and may God bless the United States of America."
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 01:35 pm
What is acceptable in war isn't always acceptable as prisoner treatment.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:20 pm
Notably lacking in subtlety. And in imagination. I think military types watch much too much TV while in the process of getting drunk.

What if a military unit was made up of Dante scholars? Then, we might at least expect some semblance of connection between the torture and the thing tortured for.

For example, let's imagine a special forces unit out of Ottawa that captures Don Rumsfeld or the president. They would (I would) put either fellow in a quiet room...meditatively quiet. Just outside their open window, I'd hang windchimes made from Phyllis Schafley's tampons.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:32 pm
Fiend! You would probably reserve the innermost circle for John Ashcroft - with Liberty UNdraped.
0 Replies