New York - What's Ruth's Hotel Like?

kickycan

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 04:28 pm
Here's a tip on the Empire State Building, if you choose to go there. Go at night, close to when they close. I would say around 10:00 PM is a good time. If you go then, you shouldn't have to wait in line more than about 45 minutes, but if you go during a busy time, you could be waiting in line for two hours or more. Plus, the view at night is awesome.

And I guarantee they will not see one cockroach...although, if they take the subway, they might get to see some genuine New York sewer rats, if they're lucky.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 07:19 pm
Tavern on the Green Reservations
If they are going to the Tavern they should make reservations NOW

BUT

There are so many other places to spend money on food and still have an adventure.

The Central Park Boathouse for example. TRE romantic, less so in the winter but ooh la la le ambiance, the food, the scene .... !

If they want the New York dining experience they should try
the Union Square Cafe superb, and I do mean superb, food in an elegant, yet casual, atmosphere. Look around you, is that Michael Caine? Is that .... oh never mind.. the place is crawling with faces.

Closer to their hotel is an A2K favorite : Pierre du Tunnel
Click here for Pierre

or PietraSanta Click here

a favorite of mine, GO AFTER eight PM, you miss the theatre crowd and enjoy the food. Ask for a table next to the wall and you will see everything while you gaze at your table companion......

Oh yes...... Macey's 34th and Broadway has both trainers and the Sean Jean suits (urp).....

Re: Kicky's Empire State Idea;;;;; First, go down to the Staten Island about dusk and take it across to Staten Island (where else?) then take the ferry back just after dark (about 5:15pm) ,,,,,, The city lights are on, the Statue of Liberty is to your left and the Brooklyn Bridge shines like a National Guitar on the East River just to your right. ( I told you to get a place in the front of the ferry, right>>?) What a view.

THEN take the 1 or the 9 train up to 34th Street and walk over to the Empire State. If it's a clear night the two views, one from the river and one from the top of the ES will never leave your mind or your heart..

I hope they have a fabulous time.

Joe (get a Seven day MetroCard) Nation
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 07:35 pm
I can't be of as much help as the NYers here, but I did stay at the Milford Plaza about 15 years ago, and it was very nice. And I see from their website that they've redecorated since then anyway.

Fancy lobby. The restaurants in the hotel were too expensive for me at the time, but I was determined to spend as little as possible on eating, and to blow all my $$$ on theater tickets. Very Happy

There were mostly tourists staying there at the time, as well as a lot of airline pilots and stewardesses.

I hope that Ruth and your brother have a great time. Please keep us posted!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 03:29 am
One thing Joe forgot to mention -- The Staten Island Ferry is a free ride!!! Maybe the only fun thing left in NYC that you can actually do without spending a red cent.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 03:38 am
Ruth stayed over, we talked New York 'till one. When we got up, Ruth said "have a look on the thing, see if anyone has replied" (the 'thing' being you guys). I assured her that there would be replies. So we're sat her, with cups of tea, reading. Thank you all so much...Joe, you should write a guide! Yes, Mac11, it says on their web that they have undergone refurbishment.

Ruth was always a bit dubious about A2K, I seem to start conversations with "I read on the forum..." (does anyone else do that? It used to be I watched on the telly, or I heard on the radio). But she is surprised and delighted at the response...she told me to type YOU ARE ALL VERY KIND...so I have! Very Happy

Laters!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 04:10 am
We're waiting to hear.

Joe
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 05:08 am
On tipping:

Here's a tip for you: tip, it's makes you look like a New Yorker.

New York is a city with it's arms out.
And at the end of every arm is an extended hand.

I keep a stack of ones and fives handy when traveling.

In the city, I use the "one buck for every five" rule if the service is really good, and if it's not so hot, I double the tax, see below. Really slow service or rude service or crappy attitude service scores a ten per cent and a long stare at whatever maitre d' I can find.

Here is something I copied, but it looks right:

Restaurants
Bartender - 10-15% of bar bill
Headwaiter/Maitre d' - nothing unless special services are provided; in that case, about $5 (more for exceptional services)
Waiter/Waitress - 15-20% of bill (note that many patrons simply double the amount of the tax -- since all food and beverages in NYC restaurants are taxed at 8.25%, it makes the tip a bit higher than the standard 15%, but it also makes the math easier)
Wine Steward - 15-20% of wine bill
Server at counter - 15-20% of bill; generally a minimum of $1
Coat Check attendant - $1-2 per coat
Restroom attendant - $1-$2
Valet park attendant - $1-$2

Hotels
Bellman - $1-$2 per bag; $5-10 for running errands
Concierge - $10 for a special effort such as handling airline tickets; offer the tip after each service or at the end of your stay
Chambermaid - generally no tip for one-night stays; $2-$5 per night for longer stays
Doorman - $1-$2 for hailing a cab; $2-$5 for unloading baggage
Room-service waiter - 15-20% of bill
Valet park attendant - $1-$2

Taxis
Driver - 15-20% of fare; generally a minimum of $1

Airport
Skycap - $1-2 per bag

Personal Care
Barber - 15% of the cost; generally a minimum of $1
Hairdresser - 15% of bill for one operator; if several operators, 10% of bill to haircutter/colorist/stylist, 10% divided among others
Manicurist - $3-$5 (more if manicure runs more than about $25)

Sports Arena
Usher - $1-2 per party if shown to your seat

====

Cheers.

Joe (Excuse me, has our waiter suffered some kind of collapse?) Nation

Joe( Has our waiter entered the witness protection program?) Nation

Joe (Could you check and see if our waiter has died?) Nation

PS: READ the check before paying. Mistakes are made in busy restaurants and some of the mistakes made are mistakes. J
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 07:30 am
How much are you supposed to tip the guy who tells you the proper amount to tip????
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 07:31 pm
They owe me an explanation of how much to tip in their home town.

Joe(Is that the price of the entree or it's zip code?) Nation
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 08:07 pm
reading
thinking
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 08:30 pm
aha, that's the hotel I meant..
0 Replies