New York - What's Ruth's Hotel Like?

smorgs

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 12:47 am
My offspring is off to New York (7th - 11th Jan) with my brother. Can anyone help with the following questions - or just give advice/suggestions? We'd be most grateful.

1. Their hotel is the Milford Plaza, on Broadway, it looks great on the web (of course). Does anyone know it? Is it nice/popular?

2. Will she be safe if she keeps to the 'touristy' areas?

3. They want to go out for one big 'break the bank' meal, my brother says Tavern on the Green is 'posh'. What do you think?

4. Where's the best place to go to buy trainers?

5. She has promised a friend that she will bring back a 'Sean John' track suit for him, I think you call them 'warm ups'. I know your probably groaning at this, but it's a promise! Where's the best place to go for such a garment (without having to go to his shop)?

6. This is Ruth's guestion: Will she have an encounter with a cockroach? (she made me write this)?

7. As time is tight...which would YOU do: Empire State or Statue of Liberty?

Thanks for you time.

S. x
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,551 • Replies: 30
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 12:52 am
Neither,

from a one time resident (at age 8) and later visitor.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:02 am
ossobuco wrote:
Neither,

from a one time resident (at age 8) and later visitor.

Ah, very helpful osso, seriously, it's my baby, my womb fruit, going to a big scary place, with nothing but my (gay) brother to protect her. I'll be tearing my hair out with worry, Will she be safe? I'd say neither of them are very 'street-wise'! :wink:
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:07 am
I would say, absolutely they will be safe, smorgs. As long as they use a little common sense. Don't run naked in Central Park at 3:00 a.m., that sort of thing.

Kickycan or Joe Nation will eventually stumble across this thread and give you specifics.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:10 am
Thanks Gus. Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:13 am
Well, I was safe enough, a year and a half ago, me a sixty-ish woman. I walked the town for two days before I met Diane, who got a room at my weird hotel too, the west side YMCA at 63rd. Not luxe, but ok, and very convenient re the city. And then Diane and I walked the town together.

And taxied, a couple of times, and one time we took the subway, reminding me of my youth.

People were open to us, we didn't have any problems. I speak as one with an eye out for problems, living as I did by/amid gang territory for years. Not to make so much of that either, I was never a target, that was mostly an internecine thing, though of course others are hurt.

This might not have been the most 'don't worry' post possible, but, then, I wouldn't worry.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:15 am
Er, we didn't walk the town thaaaaat way, Gus. Stop it, Gus... stop it, I say.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:21 am
Strange thing osso, I always thought you were male!

What about the 'cockroach' thing...Ruth (daughter) read in a guide book "you will not visit New York, without an encounter witha cockroach". I told her it was rubbish...she's going on a Package holiday (British Airways) not booking into a Dos House. But she has a phobia about crawley things!

Thanks for the info! Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:29 am
Well, there weren't any on my weeklong trip, but hey, who knows.

If she is tired and wants to read a long travel diary with one eye open - there is Osso in New York in the original writing section.

Oh, yeah, I'm a girl..
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:31 am
Smorgs, here's a little reading material for you...

gotta love the little fellas
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:32 am
And I can vouch for Osso as far as her being a woman and all that.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:36 am
I'm sure you make a great couple...you in that leather thong anall! :wink:
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 04:20 am
I don't know that Hotel, smorgs. But, then, I don't live in New York now (did at one time). Where, exactly, on Broadway, is it located? Broadway is very loooong street. As fo which to visit -- Statue of Liberty or Empire State Building -- there is abslutely no reason why you can't visit both on the same morning or afternoon. New York is huge, yes, but actually the island of Manhattan, which is the heart of the city, is rather compact. Many of the touristy attractions are within easy walking distance of each other, or a short subway ride away. As for safety, just follow Gus's advice -- don't do anything foolish and the places where tourists go are quite safe. Can't help you on the shopping questions. I hate to shop. But probably the hotel concierge can be of help in that department. Cockroaches? Not if it's a reputab;e hotel. However, rats are another matter. The subways are infested with them; so are some parks. But they only come out after dark. Smile
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 04:41 am
Re: New York - What's Ruth's Hotel Like?
I don't have answers to all your questions...but...

Quote:
2. Will she be safe if she keeps to the 'touristy' areas?

New York is a very safe city. Tell 'em to stay out of Central Park at night.

Quote:
3. They want to go out for one big 'break the bank' meal, my brother says Tavern on the Green is 'posh'. What do you think?

PM Joe Nation. He knows people who work there.

Quote:
4. Where's the best place to go to buy trainers?

Huh? Speak American!

Quote:
6. This is Ruth's guestion: Will she have an encounter with a cockroach? (she made me write this)?

If she does...it will be friendly. Don't squnch it. It may have children.

Quote:
7. As time is tight...which would YOU do: Empire State or Statue of Liberty?

Both. But the Statue will take much more time than the ESB.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 05:20 am
Re: New York - What's Ruth's Hotel Like?
Quote:
Huh? Speak American

Sorry Frank, running shoes?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 05:46 am
Smorgs- How very exciting!

I don't know the Milford Plaza, but it is right in the middle of the theatre district. There are plenty of things to see there.

I don't know what your daughter likes, or her age, but if I had only one place to go in NY, I would check out the Metropolitan Museum of Art:

http://www.metmuseum.org/

It is too late to order a guidebook, but there is a lot of info here:

http://www.nycvisit.com/home/index.cfm

As far as running shoes, there is literally a store that sells them on practically every block. She might want to see Macy's on Broadway and 34th St.

She might like to take a stroll on 5th Ave, from about 34th to 57th Street. While she is there, she can check out St. Patrick's Cathedral, and Rockefeller Center.

She might want to check out this discount store, which is close to where the World Trade Center was:

http://www.c21stores.com/indexreg.html

A few years ago, Mayor Giuliani really cleaned up the city. It is a pretty safe place, but as it any large city, you need to keep your wits about you. Tell your daughter to hold on to her handbag; she shouldn't open her wallet out in the street. Tell her to buy a street map, that has all the points of interest. She should figure out where she wants to go BEFORE she ventures out into the street. Tell her that she should try NOT to look like a tourist!

I know that she will have a great time!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 05:48 am
Cripes ! I just found this thread!

Milford Plaza is a fine hotel.

Stop worrying.

If the weather is clear, the Empire State.

More tonight..... I have to go to work.

Stop worrying.

Joe (roach wrangler) Nation
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 06:19 am
Huge thanks to everyone who replied!

Joe...I wouldn't have presumed to PM you...but, any tips or 'good words in' would be much appreciated. I'd happily 'pay it forward' if ever you were (or any A2K'ers) in Blighty...I know the Landlady of the local pub!

Seriously though, thanks! Very Happy
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 06:23 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Smorgs, here's a little reading material for you...

gotta love the little fellas

Gus, you bastid, I linked right into that one. I thought it was going to be something 'touristy'. I daren't show it Ruth...she would faint. She has a very delicate sensibility you know, just like her Mum. :wink:
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 04:19 pm
Gee, I was just about to post a 'thank you' to Gus for sharing that fascinating bit on entymology with us. Lots'a things there about the li'l critters I never knew.
0 Replies