Should I stay or should I go?

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2017 05:50 pm
I’ve been dating my girlfriend since December of 2015. I live roughly 45 minutes away from her. When we started talking she was 18 and I was 22. From the very beginning I told her that I was looking for a relationship that would lead to marriage and that if that bother her then she should let me know and I wouldn’t be upset if she didn’t want to continue. When we talked we automatically clicked like if we had been talking for a long time. It took me two weeks to realize that she was the one I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. I couldn’t hold it and told her how I felt and she felt exactly the same to the point she almost cried. So I decided to wait 4 months( for the sake of her parents) and buy a ring and ask for her hand in marriage. Both our parents are very traditional and in their old ways. My parents were excited and wanted to come with me to talk to her dad at their restaurant( that was the only time they both could talk ) . We talked about it and I showed him the ring I had bought , and I let him know that I was serious about this. I had a good job at the time and I was living on my own I had two cars and a motorcycle and plenty of money saved up so there was no excuse there. He didn’t say no but he didn’t say yes and said that he would talk it over with his wife, which I agreed and I would wait. I waited till June and still no answer by this time I was driving an 1 hour 30 minutes at least 3 times a week just to see her and sometime more ( she lives out in the middle of no where) . In June I got a great job opportunity offer in Nashville making 6 dollars more than what I was making plus a bunch of overtime. So I talked it over with her and talked about how much more I would have for the wedding( her parents are not people of money at all)and she agreed. Right before I left I gave her probably the worst proposal and told her I wanted to marry her and that I couldn’t wait for parents to give me an answer. She said yes and I left for Nashville. Every other weekend or when I could I go home only so I could see her. I would drive 3 hours back home and see her for the weekend, mind that I would only see her 2 hours at most Friday drive to my parents house 45 minutes and then see her 3 hours Saturday and then Sunday 3 or 4 hours. Then in Sunday I would leave for Nashville. I did that for almost a year when I asked for a transfer back to my home city and the company agreed and I got sent back home earning the same 6+ dollars plus being 15 minutes away from my home. While I was in Nashville I bought her a 2016 model car as a wedding present when I would marry her( we talked that it wouldn’t be more than 8 months til the wedding, what a lie.) it had been a year two months since I had asked her dad to marry her and still no answer, mind this that I would see them almost every weekend and they treated me with the most respect and appreciation. So my girlfriend and me talked about it and agreed it was time to confront them. So I talked to both of them and to my shock they were waiting for me to bring it up , and when I told them they also made excuse that they wanted my parents to be there smfh. And so they told me that they would let me know when my parents could go over their hous. A month went by and no answer from them, so I told my parents to just show up and we would let them know one day before. So they went over talked and it seemed like it was set and that they would let me know the next day. NOTHING HAPPENED, NO ONE SAID A WORD! So my girlfriend talked and agreed that we would do an eloping in NYC and we swore that no matter what her parents said they we wouldn’t back out. My parents were on board about this whole thing. But I made sure and told her to take a week and think about it and see if she really wanted to do this, and she did after a week and was really excited so it was planned for the following month. Come a week later and she tells he Mom and they had an argument and her mom told her all this lies like I never had asked them if I could marry her or to ever talk about it. Smfh I swear I was just ready to explode and then she tells me that she couldn’t do it and that we should wait , so long the swear of not backing out and being totally in love with each other. So I stayed mostly because I do love her and after almost two year I’m still very much in love. Now a month later we’re at an argument because her parents left for Chicago and told her she couldn’t leave her house and they got mad that I showed up and he grandmother was there like I wasn’t trying to do anything. And then she had already told them two months earlier that she had to go a beauty thing on that Sunday , so when she got out of the beauty thing I took her to eat and to buy some stuff and brought her home and now he we are, she’s 20 and I’m 24 and we can’t really be alone and she really cant be home later than 11 and can’t miss work . She can’t also go away on trips with me or my family. I’m still driving 45 minutes to see her at least twice a week. I still love her and want to be with her. I started my own business now so I’m really stressed out every week trying to manage money and people plus this whole thing sometimes I feel like staying home during the weekdays. Should I stay or should I go ? My brain can’t hold much longer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 580 • Replies: 4
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2017 06:10 pm
@Confusedguy10,
Why are you waiting for her parents' input? Isn't she old enough to get married? it's not like she's 14.

If she wants to marry you, go to City Hall, get the paperwork/bloodwork done and get married.
Confusedguy10

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2017 06:44 pm
@ehBeth,
Well they do treat her like she’s 14. She doesn’t want to upset her parents. She says she feels like she’s always been like a disappointment to them and wants to this right. Trust me I’ve told her even my parents are telling me to do that. But she doesn’t want to do that.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2017 06:48 pm
@Confusedguy10,
Her relationship with you really needs to take priority over her relationship with her parents.

Is she part of a local religious community? is there a minister / priest / rabbi you can talk to about all this?

If you can't cut her loose from her parents at this point, I don't see the benefit of continuing the relationship.

If you do manage to marry her, I'd suggest moving away from her parents influence asap.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2017 01:08 pm
Is there a dowry issue waiting to be negotiated between the parents?

Why would the parents delay in giving their blessing to a nice, employed young man who loves their daughter AND she loves him?

Somethings fishy here. Follow the $$, or at least the promise of it.
0 Replies