The Bush Administration is Sociopathic

PDiddie

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 01:44 pm
When Donald Rumsfeld was recently questioned by an American soldier regarding the shortage of armor to protect the troops in Iraq, his insensitive response seemed to suggest, among other reprehensible things, that armor is for sissies ("even armored humvees can explode").

The lack of compassion and empathy demonstrated by his response reinforced my belief that the Bush administration consistently displays clear signs of collective sociopathic behavior.

Let's take a look at some of the characteristics of sociopathic behavior, as defined by the American Psychiatric Association, and see how they fit:

1. Callousness, lack of empathy, irresponsibility, and reckless disregard for the safety of others: In addition to Rumsfeld's most recent display of callousness and disregard, President Bush has routinely exhibited these symptoms throughout his life. Childhood friends have described how the young George W. Bush would attach firecrackers to frogs and blow them up. Decades later, as governor of Texas, Bush mocked and ridiculed convicted murderer Karla Fae Tucker's desperate plea for her life. His non-response for days following the Indonesian tsunami disaster, followed by being forced to up his aid ante, is the most recent display of the President's lack of empathy. Bush sends our young men and women to Iraq to fight an out-of-control war based on fabrications and exaggerations, enables his CEO friends (who contribute thousands of dollars to his campaign and inauguration) to export American workers' jobs overseas, recklessly runs up the national budget deficit, and sets out to put Social Security into the hands (and pockets) of Wall Street brokers, with apparently no consideration for how these actions will affect average Americans. By virtue of his family's wealth, he and those closest to him remain safely removed from the reality that their actions create.

2. Glibness and superficial charm: George W. Bush garnered votes with his casual, down-home style. He won the support of the heartland's soccer moms and NASCAR dads by coming across as a regular guy. At the height of the 2004 campaign, when asked which candidate they would rather have a beer with, 43 percent responded that they would rather have a beer with President Bush, compared with 25.1 percent for John Kerry. But Bush's smirk betrays a glibness that tells us that his underlying agenda does not include buying a round at the local saloon for the common folk, and not just because he claims to be alcohol-free for decades.

3. Deceitfulness: George H. W. Bush deceived the nation when he said, "Read my lips: no new taxes." But that lie did not cost thousands of innocent lives. His son has sent our soldiers to fight a war based on false allegations; among them weapons of mass destruction, ties to al-Qaeda, and a "grave and gathering threat" to America. Dick Cheney to this day still clings to these stories, and Condoleeza Rice tapdanced around the truth in her testimony before the 9/11 Commission. This administration does not let facts get in the way of their agenda.

4. Grandiose sense of self: Having won re-election with 51 percent of the vote (hardly a landslide), George W. Bush described his victory as a "mandate." He claimed to have earned "political capital" during the campaign, which he now intends "to spend". The other 49 percent of the voting public will just have to accept it. After all, as Bush told an Amish group in July of 2004, "God speaks through me."

5. Aggressiveness and failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors: The Bush administration displays these tendencies on a grand and global scale. Perhaps nothing illustrates this better than the war in Iraq, launched in defiance of international law and the U.N. Charter and replete with war crimes, including torture, the use of indiscriminate weapons against civilian targets and the blatant and calculated skirting of the Geneva Conventions.

6. Impulsivity and failure to plan ahead: The war in Iraq was not a response to a direct attack. Contrary to the all-too-common myth that Iraq was involved in 9/11, Saddam Hussein was contained and posed no immediate threat to the U.S. Nevertheless, the Bush administration chose to divert troops from their search in Afghanistan for the real threat -- Osama bin Laden -- and launch a poorly planned war in Iraq with inadequate supplies and no real exit strategy.

7. Lack of remorse or guilt, and failure to accept responsibility for one's actions: Despite all this, George W. Bush still refuses to admit to any mistakes. Administration officials continue to assure the American people that everything is going just fine in Iraq. The most disconcerting part is that Bush seems to actually believe his own version of reality. And perhaps that's why so many voters believe it too, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Cult experts have observed that many cult leaders tend to exhibit many of the characteristics of sociopathic behavior as they charm and seduce their followers into sometimes dangerous situations.

Is it possible that the U.S. turning into a cult of mindless, trusting subservience to the right-wing agenda?

I would welcome dissenting, discerning, cogent opinions.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,002 • Replies: 14
No top replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 01:57 pm
as usual the answer can be found in rock lyrics

look into my eyes, what do you see?
Cult of personality
I know your anger, i know your dreams
I've been everything you want to be
I'm the cult of personality
Like mussolini and kennedy
Cult of personality
Cult of personality

Neon lights, a nobel prize
The mirror speaks, the reflection lies
You don't have to follow me
Only you can set me free
I sell the things you need to be
I'm the smiling face on your t.v.
I exploit you still you love me

I tell you one and one makes three
Like joseph stalin and gandi
Cult of personality
Cult of personality

Neon lights a nobel prize
A leader speaks, that leader dies
Only you can set you free

You gave me fortune
You gave me fame
You me power in your god's name
I'm every person you need to be
Look into my eyes, what do you see?
Cult of personality
I know your anger, i know your dreams
I've been everything you want to be
Like mussolini and kennedy
Cult of personality
Cult of personality

Neon lights, a nobel prize
The mirror speaks, the reflection lies
Only you can set me free
I sell the things you need to be
I'm the smiling face on your t.v.
I exploit you still you love me

I tell you one and one makes three
Like joseph stalin and gandi
Cult of personality
Cult of personality

Neon lights a nobel prize
A leader speaks, that leader dies
Only you can set you free

You gave me fortune
You gave me fame
You me power in your god's name
I'm every person you need to be
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 02:01 pm
Snakes in suits

Quote:
It's a tricky word. Being a psychopath is not something that ordinary people aspire to, but neither does it have to involve face-eating cannibalism. The central qualification is to show no conscience; to fail to empathize.

Quote:
If you are B-Scanned, it won't be you answering the questions. It will be your colleagues, grading your personal style, interpersonal relations, organisational maturity and antisocial tendencies according to 16 buzz words, none of them uplifting. They include the following: insincere, arrogant, insensitive, remorseless, shallow, impatient, erratic, unreliable, unfocused, parasitic, dramatic, unethical and bullying.

Yikes. Who isn't most of these things, at least some of the time?

I meet Hare in a London hotel and find him used to such anxieties.

"I know, I know," he says. "People read this stuff and suddenly everyone around them is a psychopath. They pick up on three or four of the characteristics and say, 'yeah, he's one.' But it's not like that. It's a medical syndrome. You've got to have the whole package."

Quote:
The man behind it, instead of retiring, tours the world helping to nail the psychopaths among us and trying to make sure that his instruments are not misused.

Part of his mission is to stay serious. He won't appear on Oprah, and he won't name names. Instead, when he sees someone in the news he thinks might be a psychopath, he says: "I'd sure as hell like to study this guy."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 02:09 pm
Sadly, it's true. But we be Bush bashers if we recognize it.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 11:38 am
edgarblythe wrote:
But we be Bush bashers if we recognize it.

That's another label that isn't going to stick to me. It's the cheapest of ad hominems, and it reflects the unfathomable creativity of the minds that use it.

These leaders of ours would do themselves well to listen to and acknowledge the occasional criticism.

Still waiting for an intelligent opposing viewpoint.

Craven, you used to practice playing devil's advocate. Perhaps you can get the Bush supporters started. Are you game?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 12:43 pm
Slow trolling this morning, is it?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:10 pm
Cmon PDidiie. Everyone knows Bush owns you. You are his...
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:44 pm
Still waiting.... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:46 pm
Re: The Bush Administration is Sociopathic
PDiddie wrote:

Is it possible that the U.S. turning into a cult of mindless, trusting subservience to the right-wing agenda?

I'd say the exact opposite. I don't know many people who trust the government period, left or right wing.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 02:02 pm
PDiddie wrote:

Craven, you used to practice playing devil's advocate. Perhaps you can get the Bush supporters started. Are you game?

Probably no bites because of this tid-bit at the end. Looks too much like a trap considering....

Quote:
Enter the B-Scan. It won't be available to everyone, and it won't be free. Slightly jarringly, one is reminded that its authors are businessmen as well as academics. But they insist that it will do a better job of raising warning flags than traditional screening techniques such as CVs (routinely falsified and seldom checked) and interviews and role-playing ("Psychopaths love this stuff," Hare says. "It's like a game to them.").
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 04:37 pm
Re: The Bush Administration is Sociopathic
Kristie wrote:
I'd say the exact opposite. I don't know many people who trust the government period, left or right wing.

And I'd be inclined to agree with that, Kristie, because I have met long-term-unemployed people in Texas who voted a straight Republican ticket not because they liked them but because they despise Democrats -- but cannot articulate why, other than "taxes". (How concerned about taxes should you be when you've been unemployed most of the year?). There's certainly no trust exhibited in that ballot.

I also have (and have posted here) an e-mail from a social-services-organization manager in Michigan who counseled a client -- single, pregnant, woefully underemployed -- who voted Bush because she liked his 'values'. Seems a bit too disconnected to be a declaration of trust, yet when voters declared this President's "faith" as important to them, well, trust is an element of that 'logic', such as it is.

And I have recently completed the book "What's the Matter with Kansas?", which left me with more questions about the mentality of red staters than it answered.

People who voted for him seem to be able to trust Bush, to cite one particular instance of trust, to keep them 'safe'. I wonder if that will be still be the case if we get hit again.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 04:44 pm
candidone1 wrote:
PDiddie wrote:

Probably no bites because of this tid-bit at the end. Looks too much like a trap considering....

Quote:
Enter the B-Scan. It won't be available to everyone, and it won't be free. Slightly jarringly, one is reminded that its authors are businessmen as well as academics. But they insist that it will do a better job of raising warning flags than traditional screening techniques such as CVs (routinely falsified and seldom checked) and interviews and role-playing ("Psychopaths love this stuff," Hare says. "It's like a game to them.").

There's no trap here, candid, despite the reluctance of conservatives and Republicans and Bush lovers to respond.

No, my shout-out to Craven was simply to get some intelligent conversation going (and he has shown interest, not to mention talent, in defending ideas he does not hold as ideology).

Shame the only defense mounted so far here is the not-so-smart-alecky comments of the same old right-wing riff-raff.

Of course, there's nothing for them to defend. <sarcasm on> I'll have to remember to try to make it a fairer fight in the future. <sarcasm off>

Where's your quote from, BTW?
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 05:05 pm
candidone1 wrote:
PDiddie wrote:

Quote:

I was just joshin' about the trap thing.
The link came from here.

....12th paragraph down or so.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:54 pm
One of the more common reasons for supporting Bush told to me was, "I won't vote for Kerry because I don't want a recession." My answer: "How will you know when the Bush recession ends and Kerry's begins?"
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 11:28 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
One of the more common reasons for supporting Bush told to me was, "I won't vote for Kerry because I don't want a recession." My answer: "How will you know when the Bush recession ends and Kerry's begins?"

with bush's recession you get the fear of annihilation from terrorists as well....it's the toy surpirse in the bush package....
0 Replies