OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 01:42 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

msolga wrote:

I know! Laughing

So maybe, just maybe, they as as relieved to have me as a neighbour, as I am to have them? Very Happy

Well, sure...but you stand on your own feet as a good neighbour, I avow.
I define being a good nabor as being quiet
and not bothering anyone. By those 2 criteria: I 'm a wonderful nabor.

David
msolga

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 01:47 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Yes, not being super loud certainly helps a lot when living close to other people, I agree, David. Yeah, and being discreet & not imposing on people who don't welcome it, certainly.
Pleased to hear you're a good neighbour. I'm not surprised.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 01:52 am

Honor is defined by non-violation of the rights of others.
msolga

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 02:05 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Are your immediate neighbours as considerate of you are you are of them, David?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 02:12 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
Are your immediate neighbours as considerate of you are you are of them, David?
Yes.
I have never had a bad nabor,
except for the Italian murderer, with whom I did not get along.

He was remote.
msolga

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 02:14 am
@OmSigDAVID,
You've been very lucky then, apart from the murderer! Wink
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 02:59 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
You've been very lucky then, apart from the murderer! Wink
Yeah. He did not murder me nor anyone that I knew.
I never met his son (the murder victim).
The murderer was a surly, unkempt loutish fellow,
purportedly a prosperous retired plummer (plumber), but usually quiet.
After the murder, he was released (for a while, anyway) from custody
and was to be seen silently standing in his front yard,
under a pall of desolation and melancholy. He made no more trouble.
msolga

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 08:43 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David, that was quite moving. Your words evoked images of Edward Hopper's melancholy paintings of solitary figures isolated in their urban environments. I thought there was a Hopper painting that perfectly matched your description, but perhaps I dreamed it? Anyway, I couldn't find it, after quite a search. This is as close as I got.:

Quote:
...After the murder, he was released (for a while, anyway) from custody

http://www.mcs.csueastbay.edu/~malek/Hopper6.jpg
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 10:25 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

David, that was quite moving. Your words evoked images of Edward Hopper's melancholy paintings of solitary figures isolated in their urban environments. I thought there was a Hopper painting that perfectly matched your description, but perhaps I dreamed it? Anyway, I couldn't find it, after quite a search. This is as close as I got.:

Quote:
...After the murder, he was released (for a while, anyway) from custody

http://www.mcs.csueastbay.edu/~malek/Hopper6.jpg
That looks like him.
He was a bully. Many years b4 that murder,
he was overbearing to my friend Joe,
another Italian, my nextdoor nabor.
Joe and I were in our middle teenage years; maybe 15.
Joe was friendly, quiet, unassuming; he had a near obsessive
interest in his hobby of building and/or modifying radios
and building sound systems for music. I rose to Joe 's defense.
It kinda came naturally to me to defend victims of overbearing bullies,
including the parents of the victims, in the limited circumstances
when it was appropriate. I felt secure in doing that when it
occurred right in front of me on my family real estate,
and/or when thay actually asked my opinion.

Over the years, in NY and in Arizona, that happened 3 times that I remember.
I examined n discussed the applicable reasoning.
This was all among my nabors in my naborhood of the time.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 12:42 am
A very nice neighbourly moment, not 5 minutes ago! Smile

TinTin called out, over our mutual side fence:
"Hey Olga! Are you there?" (meaning in my backyard)
I was.
"Here ya go!"
It was a bag of his freshly harvested broad beans. Dangling over the top of the fence, for me to collect.
(Yum. I love broad beans!)

A week or so ago I was presented with two very healthy looking lettuces. A glut of lettuces next door, apparently. He asked me if I wanted more, as we both got out of our cars at the same time, earlier today.

This is the first home TinTin & his girl friend have ever owned & they are very excited to be homeowners. They are very young.
And this is the first time he's ever gardened. I can tell you, he's gone quite mad about gardening! Very Happy

A month or so ago they held a party (on AFL grand final day, when Melbournians are prone to lose their heads in all the excitement.)
He knocked on my door & warned me, in advance, of the impending gathering. (Very nice of him.)
As I was going out anyway, not a problem, I thought.
But (after I'd gotten home again, later) the party went on & on & on .... for hours.
And there was one fellow, in particular, who I felt like strangling, if he didn't shut up ... very drunk & very loud & an utter bore to boot!
But did I complain?
Did I make a fuss?
No.
Because compared to the previous neighbours (the ones from hell, trust me! ), Tin Tin & his girlfriend are saints! Smile
I'm happy to lend them ladders, offer cuttings of my admired front garden succulents, etc ...
It is such a relief, a blessing even, that they are nothing like the monsters I used to have to deal with, before they sold up & moved out!

So give & take, give & take ...
msolga

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 01:04 am
@msolga,
So, any good yarns from your neighbourhood?
Love to hear them!
(And new-ish A2Kers are most welcome to contribute, of course! Don't be shy! Smile )
ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 01:29 am
@msolga,
Checking in but not posting yet.
msolga

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 01:35 am
@ossobuco,
I hope you do, osso! Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 05:23 am
@msolga,
Just got home from visiting a friend ... at around 10 pm on this Sunday night.
As I drove up to my place, I noticed white pickets on the footpath, in front of my house. Someone had pulled 4 of them off my front fence. It would have taken a bit of force to do that. I checked all the rest of the pickets & they're quite firmly nailed in place. Who would do such a thing? I honestly haven't a clue. I don't exactly have any "enemies" in the neighbourhood .... I felt rather spooked. Nothing like this has happened during the whole time I've live here.

I noticed Tit Tin's light was still on. So I knocked on their door and asked if they'd heard anything? No. But he came out & checked the fence with me (in his bare feet). Was I able to repair the damage? Yes, I hoped so. Just leave it till he got home from work & he'd do it, he said. No trouble at all.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 06:36 am
OMSD (David) , I tried to post in response to your delightful response Rolling Eyes ... which you have since removed, I see.

But anyway, here's what I had to say in response to your mean & unpleasant comment, anyway. Even if no one else here understands, you will know exactly what I'm responding to.:

That's a nasty comment, David. Pretty dumb, too.

I'm not remotely wealthy. And what does this situation have to do with politics, anyway? Confused

You can be very unpleasant sometimes, you know.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 07:27 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
OMSD (David) , I tried to post in response to your delightful response Rolling Eyes ... which you have since removed, I see.

But anyway, here's what I had to say in response to your mean & unpleasant comment, anyway.
Even if no one else here understands, you will know exactly what I'm responding to.:

That's a nasty comment, David. Pretty dumb, too.

I'm not remotely wealthy. And what does this situation have to do with politics, anyway? Confused

You can be very unpleasant sometimes, you know.

Its not true; ALWAYS remember: I am wonderful.

David
msolga

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 07:43 am
@OmSigDAVID,
No amount of promoting yourself in bold lettering excuses your rudeness & ignorant comments, David.

Now, in case you haven't noticed, this is NOT a thread about US politics.
I'd appreciate it if you respected that.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 02:54 am
@msolga,
Do u ever get dizzy,
hanging there upside down ?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 04:14 am
I met another neighbour today. One I hadn't crossed paths with before. Called "Mussa" (or something very close to that). A very debonair looking fellow, who'd just moved in with his wife & baby, not so long ago. Into one of the Victorian terraces, a bit down the street.

He knocked on my door & asked if I knew the owner of the car parked across the street from my place, because the lights had been left on & he was concerned they'd discover a flat battery when they next tried to drive ...
No, I didn't know who owned the car. So we wandered about trying trying to figure out who the owner might be for a while. Knocked on a few doors.

I really appreciate it when people go to the trouble in situations like that. Once, not so long ago, I left one of my car windows wide open, plus the doors unlocked. (Who knows what I was thinking? Maybe I'd had a very bad day at work & I was keen to get inside & put my feet up?) Anyway, within half an hour of getting inside, a neighbour was knocking on my door to let me know. Very thoughtful & kind of her to go out of her way, I thought.

It's interesting. Most of us just go about our lives without coming in contact with each other at all, most of the time. As people in cities do, I guess. You'd think we mightn't have a clue who lived down the street a bit & a few houses down ... But when something goes wrong, or someone needs a bit of help, or you've left your car unlocked or something like that, you can always count on folk to go out of their way. Nice. Smile
msolga

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 04:31 am
@msolga,
By the way, in case you were wondering .... this thread is not intended to be just about me & my neighbours ...
It just seems that way because I'm the only one who's posted here recently. There are some terrific posts from others to be found here, if you'd care to take a look.
Anyway, I hope I've just put an idea in your head!

0 Replies