How universal healthcare can be implemented...

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 05:50 pm
Both Canada and Germany successfully managed to do what the U.S. can only dream of. While the U.S. has 40 million individuals who have no form of healthcare available to them, these two nations managed to provide free healthcare to all their residents while spending a significantly lower percent of their GDP than the U.S does on healthcare. In fact, every industrial democracy offers some form of universal healthcare while spending significantly less of their GDP than the U.S does providing healthcare to only some of its citizens. And the U.S. ranks much lower than most of these nations including Germany and Canada in terms of average life expectancy. But the approaches taken by the two nations are quite different.

Whereas in Canada, the government holds a monopsomy on healthcare and don't allow their citizens to purchase private insurance in order to get higher quality healthcare and don't address critical areas of healthcare such as a drug plan and overall doesn't allow for market forces in the area of healthcare. Germany on the other hand takes a much less radical approach to healthcare when compared to the U.S. In Germany, healthcare is employer based similar to the U.S. The only difference is the employers as well individuals below a certain income level are required to contribute to sickness funds which negotiate directly with physician groups to provide all their individuals with high quality healthcare cheaply.

All the sickness funds are required to offer all the basic services including a drug plan but those seeking higher quality services with more choices can choose to enroll with more expensive sickness funds. Those above a certain income level can choose to opt out of sickness funds entirely and may buy private insurance if desired. And like in the US, most doctors and hospitals are privately employed/owned. Thus Germany's plan offers more choice and is more market driven and privately owned and thus has less waiting in lines for health services but provides good healthcare to all its citizens when compared to the U.S or Canada. It is also more in sync with the U.S way of thinking to rely upon market forces to keep prices down rather. Thus we have much to learn from Germany's healthcare system.

We can no longer believe managed care can deliver quality healthcare at low costs. Complaints have skyrocketed since the prevalence of managed care. Reports of cases in which people were denied reimbursement for failing to be preauthorized or for failing to go to an authorized hospital in the event of a life threatening emergency are not uncommon. Yet 90% of individuals in America are enrolled in a managed care plan. Yet costs continue to rise and healthcare in any form remains inaccessible to 40 million Americans. Healthcare shouldn't be though of strictly as a business. The primary concern in business is money, in healthcare, the primary concern should be life. Anyone who is personally afflicted by a curable illness or has a family member afflicted by such an illness would want the best treatments available even at slightly higher costs, this is not the case with other businesses. So how we continue to allow healthcare to sacrifice quality for higher profits, how can we allow HMOs to put patient's lives at risk needlessly.

It is a sad state of affairs that a lifetimes worth of savings can be swept away to bankruptcy by an illness. Even with insurance, families are destroyed not just emotionally but financially by sudden illnesses in the family and medical disasters continue to be the single largest cause of bankruptcy in the United States even amongst the insured by a hefty margin. No wonder more and more patients wish to practice euthanasia and terminate their lives. At the very least, the U.S should consider adopting some form of system where the government provides the costs of all necessary care and emergency care (when life or limb at threat).

This can be funded by taking away the heavy tax subsidies given to insurance companies or it can simply be funded by employers in an employer based system like Entovin advocates and by the government for the self-employed and unemployed. But treatments for minor ailments must be funded by individuals or private insurance companies that individuals choose to enroll into to control costs. Since private insurance companies don't have to pay for as many services, they can offer much lower and more accessible rates and individuals don't have to fear bankruptcy as a result of medical emergency.

But minor and unnecessary health expenditures will go down. Tort reform limiting medical liability awards for suffering should go far to discourage reckless lawsuits meant to get hefty settlements. And this would decrease unneccesary tests for fear of getting sued as well as decrease how much doctors would have to charge to be able to pay their insurance premiums without having to close down their practice. This reform may even reduce the government's expenditure on healthcare because many of the individuals who have no health insurance and thus don't receive necessary treatment until their conditions greatly worsen and they opt to go bankrupt and enroll in Medicaid and thus require far more expensive treatments that the government pays for. This spending unnecessarily accounts for a significant portion of health expenditures.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 554 • Replies: 4
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 07:10 pm
I don't know where you got the idea that healthcare is
free in Germany, no such thing is the truth. In fact,
it is extremely expensive in Germany and employer as well as employee each pay an equal amount into the healthcare system that is based on the salary of the employee.

Right, you don't have to fork up any additional funds for
going to the physician of your choice or the hospital, and
the fees for prescriptions are minimal, however, considering
the high premiums, it is a trade-off.

The only difference would be, that in Germany healthcare insurance is mandatory -everyone pays into the system.
In the US it is still optional for many employees/employers.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 12:09 am
Every scheme I've ever heard so far for solving America's medical problems amounts to throwing more money at our present system; that's like throwing gasoline on a fire to try to put it out. A real solution to our medical problems would amount to what Theodore Roosevelt used to call "trust busting" in several areas:

Medical schools which typically keep 40% of incoming classes should be told that henceforth, if they ever drop more than 15% of an incoming class of medical students, they will lose their accreditation.

Drug companies which charge Americans 20 times what Europeans are paying for drugs should have those same Europeans as competitors, or at least be threatened with such.

The half of our medical bills due to lawyering should be ended. A doctor who makes eggregious mistakes should lose his license to practice, while lawsuits against doctors should be ended.

That first item almost requires close-up observation to comprehend. When I was in grad school, we had a sizeable number of first year med students in the dorm I was in, and all were fully qualified to be doctors. All were 3.5 GPA students or better, all highly motivated, most from families of physicians. And all knew from day one that 35% were being retained. Naturally, they were working 25 hour days, sabataging eachothers experiments, and trying to do whatever it took to be part of that 35%. That system guarantees that you know several things about the guy working on your body:

• You know that he costs too much (the point of the entire system).
  • You know that he's probably had no sleep in the last 18 hours since he's doing the work of the 65% of the doctors who are missing as well as his own.
  • You know that he's probably on drugs to deal with the lack of sleep.
  • Basically, you know that he's a survivor, and that that's very unlikely to be because he was better qualified to be a doctor than the people of the missing 65%

Me, I'd rather have that guy sleeping or playing golf, and have #45 or #65, having had a good night's sleep and without drugs working on my body.

150 Years ago when America was still a free country, a doctor was often viewwed as a consultant of sorts. A farmer might walk into the doctor's office and...

Quote:

"What seems to be your problem, Jake?"

"Well, Doc, I been feeling kinda funny lately, my hair's been curling up, my ears been floppin over sorta like a hound dogs, and I been running a sort of a light fever, an I get these green polka dots on my arms and wrists here..."

"Well, I ain't seen that exactly before, but I seen two or three cases pretty close to it. The three drugs I know might do anything for that are...."

And then Jake would head on over to the pharmacy and say:

Quote:

"Doc told me I to try these three drugs for my polka dot problem, I'll need bottles of all three of these, oh, by the way, I need two boxes of 45/70 ammunition and ten sticks of dynamite for those stumps on the south 40, and some marijuana for the missus..."

That's what dealing with medicine was like in a free country; I'd assume medicine was easier to afford under such circumstances.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 12:11 am
Almost forgot to mention, the trial lawyers' guild is now the most major financial bulwark of the democrat party. Outlawing the dem party would have to help with the problem of medical costs.
0 Replies

Perspective

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 12:53 am
There is no such thing as "free" healthcare. Even canadians pay for healthcare through tax dollars.

What we're talking about is universal healthcare.

Universal healthcare cuts costs by cutting out the 15% of the health insurance money going into the bueracracy and paper work of insurance companies, and a great deal of the rest going into marketing for the insurance companies, drug companies, and lawyers that sue doctors recklessly driving up costs of health for all (fixed thru tort reform).

In addition, by making sure everyone has healthcare from the start, it greatly reduces incidents of millions of dollars being spent to keep people alive when those problems could have been detected much earlier and cured for pennies on the dollar had the person had health insurance and thus got regular check ups.
0 Replies