Trump has done more for Obama and Bush's reputation than they did

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2017 09:54 am
@InfraBlue,
It glorifies stupidity and luck over intelligence.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2017 10:03 am
@edgarblythe,
That is a very particular interpretation of it, I think it's a great film and that almost any film can have a narrow, and negative, interpretation of its theme because the interpretations are in the eyes of the beholders and there are many beholders.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2017 10:13 am
There's no doubt that Trump is smarter than Bush. I don't see how that makes the latter morally better than the former. Bush is a war criminal. Trump (so far) is only a crook.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2017 10:14 am
@Robert Gentel,
Well, I always thought it sucks and always will.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2017 12:31 pm
Here is a link about Bush repudiating Trump, without even mentioning his name. I can never respect Bush, but what he says here is worth reading.
https://www.rawstory.com/2017/10/watch-bush-just-delivered-a-stunning-16-minute-repudiation-of-trumpism-without-ever-mentioning-his-name/
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2017 12:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
I started a thread about that speech, glad he is speaking out and we should encourage more to do the same.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2017 01:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

It glorifies stupidity and luck over intelligence.

As Gump says, "stupid is as stupid does." He does lead an extraordinarily charmed life, that's part of what makes the movie amusing, but like Robert Burns said about intelligently laid out plans,
"The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!"
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2017 01:09 pm
@Robert Gentel,
It helps broaden the audience for understanding of what we are dealing with, among people who do not necessarily like progressives or Democrats.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2017 01:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
And given that negative partisanship is the defining political force of this era it's critical that this criticism come from GOP voices. Because so many on the left called every Republican a bigot (like was done to Bush himself) that is more easily dismissed as mere partisanship when a real bigot comes along.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2017 01:27 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Trump is a pustule (in my opinion), but so far he hasn't gotten much done. The administration is like a bad reality show that we can't turn off, but completely incompetent on almost every level. Yes, there's huge reputational damage on the world stage, but maybe it's OK because other leaders are stepping up to fill the void.

My biggest gripe with W. Bush is not his personality, but that his team was effective in leading us into stupid, useless wars.

Truth be told, though, I don't remember hating W at this stage in his Presidency. That came later, so maybe Trump's administration can still **** things up as badly as Bush's did.....

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2017 02:55 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
Trump is a pustule (in my opinion), but so far he hasn't gotten much done.

I actually think he has done more than most presidents, unfortunately just lots of just reflexive dumb **** but he has been pretty active, especially right off the bat.

Hasn't been able to achieve much good and yes thankfully has been mitigated by his own party and handlers but has been very active in trying to undo the inherent blackness of the previous administration's policies.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2017 03:14 pm
@Robert Gentel,
The people he is getting embedded within the government are capable of long term damage. SCOTUS, for instance.
blatham

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2017 05:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
The people he is getting embedded within the government are capable of long term damage. SCOTUS, for instance.
These placements you speak of seem to have almost nothing to do with Trump. The mechanisms and philosophy for them have a much earlier genesis and you'd be much closer to the truth if you pinned them on Pence (see Mayer's recent reporting) and behind Pence the organizational and money influence of the Koch network (which has, to a great degree, captured the religious right now along with much of the GOP).

Trump's "contribution" has been the loud and continual rejection of necessary social, moral and intellectual norms.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2017 09:16 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

DrewDad wrote:
Trump is a pustule (in my opinion), but so far he hasn't gotten much done.

I actually think he has done more than most presidents, unfortunately just lots of just reflexive dumb **** but he has been pretty active, especially right off the bat.

Hasn't been able to achieve much good and yes thankfully has been mitigated by his own party and handlers but has been very active in trying to undo the inherent blackness of the previous administration's policies.

Perhaps I should say he hasn't accomplished much of what he claims to want to do. I'm all for the incompetence and self-sabotage that he's displayed so far.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2017 04:52 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Yes indeed, he was and is a good man.

He made mistakes. Who doesn't?

Obama was and is a good man too. Just wrong about virtually everything.

They were both politicians. Bush was less slimy than Obama

0 Replies