New Years day is celebrated differently around the world

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 06:29 pm
Looking for a different way to bring in the new year?

In Spain, people gather up 12 grapes and eat one on each of the 12 strokes of midnight. It is almost impossible to chew all of the grapes before the last stroke, so people end up laughing their way into the new year.

In Peru, people swallow the 12 grapes whole while sitting underneath a table wearing yellow underwear.

In Mexico, 12 grapes are eaten for each stroke of midnight. Single women wear red underwear to find love in the next year. Suitcases are taken out of the closet and the owners walk around the block, so they can travel more in the coming year.

In Rio de Janeiro, Brazilians gather on beaches wearing white clothes to watch fireworks. At midnight they jump over seven waves, then dive in the ocean with offerings of flowers, candles, candies, cigars, sugar cane and alcohol to the ocean goddess Iemanja.

In Norway, people eat a traditional lutefisk meal, which consists of mashed green peas, bacon, mustard, boiled potatoes and lutefisk, a dried codfish made with caustic soda.

In China, people make paper cuttings that are hung in the family's front window. The Chinese believe these paper cuttings scare away evil spirits.

In the southern United States, people eat black-eyed peas and turnip greens. The peas represent copper and the greens are dollars.

In Colombia, Mr. Old Year is burned at midnight. Families make a big stuffed male doll that represents the old year. The doll is dressed with pieces of old clothes from all family members. The doll is stuffed with different things such as little fireworks and objects that have brought the family sadness.

On Wednesday, the Malaysian government asked that all states cancel celebrations and hold prayer sessions for those affected by the tsunamis.

Here in Albuquerque, where I live in New Mexico, a big bowl of posole with red chile is the way to bring in the New Year.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,861 • Replies: 20
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 06:49 pm
I was brought up by a Southern black-eyed pea eating family but I never knew it had a money implication. Mom always said it was a good luck thing.

This year (as we do most) we are just staying home for New Years but I think I'll buy some grapes and yellow underwear for everyone in the family. That sounds kinda fun!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 07:45 pm
boomerang
boomerang, you've got to take a picture and post it for all of us to enjoy.

BBB
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 07:48 pm
I'm not entirely convinced that eveyone would really enjoy pictures of my family in yellow underwear, eating grapes under the table but I know I'll be taking photos so you never know where they'll get posted!

I wonder what the grapes, yellow underwear and under the table signify to Peruvians.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 09:15 pm
I have no yellow underwear http://www.borge.diesal.de/shock.gif

Bumblebee, what is pasole?

When I was a child, we used to melt lead and throw
it into cold water. Whatever shape the lead took, it
was considered either luck bringing or not.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 07:39 am
Calamity Jane--

You can use candle wax instead of lead--study the shapes with a great deal of imagination to tell your fortune.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 09:16 am
Ohhh!

I might add that wax thing to our under-table party!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 09:28 am
Re: New Years day is celebrated differently around the world
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
In the southern United States, people eat black-eyed peas and turnip greens. The peas represent copper and the greens are dollars.

I grew up in south Louisiana, and we had black-eyed peas for luck and cabbage for riches in the new year. I plan to eat both tomorrow. Good luck and riches still sound like a good idea. Very Happy
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 09:31 am
Here in PA it mostly involves throwing up
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 09:54 am
Don't forget to have a:
http://www.sturgispretzel.com/Art/PHistArt.gif

The Palantine Germans, later known as the Pennsylvania Dutch, brought pretzels to America in 1710. German children wore the pretzels around their necks on New Year's for good luck.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 10:05 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Calamity Jane--

You can use candle wax instead of lead--study the shapes with a great deal of imagination to tell your fortune.

That's a great idea Noddy, thank you!
However, I think, considering what happened in South Asia and
in the wake of over 100,000 people dead, there will be no celebration
at our house.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 10:45 am
CalamityJane
CalamityJane

Posole is lime-treated corn (hominy), a tradition dish of Mexican families in New Mexico. White Posole, Blue Posole, traditional lime-soaked dried corn.

The following Recipe is from the Santa Fe School of Cooking.

---BBB

http://www.santafeschoolofcooking.com/Recipes/Posole/

POSOLE

2 cups posole, picked over for dirt or stones
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cup yellow onion, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons garlic, peeled and minced
1 ounce New Mexico dried red chile pods, 4 or 5 pods, stems and seeds removed
5 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup cilantro. coarsely chopped
2 teaspoons salt, or to taste

Put the posole in a 6-quart pot and cover with cold water by 3 inches. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 2 to 3 hours, adding water as needed, until the kernels have softened and begin to burst. Drain the posole and rinse well.

Heat the oil in a 6-quart pot and sauté the onions until golden. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the posole, dried chiles, broth and 1/2 of the cilantro. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the salt and continue cooking for 30 minutes. Stir in the remaining cilantro. Taste and adjust seasonings.

Serves 8 to 10

Optional seasonings: This recipe is a favorite of the school. However, there are a number of optional ingredients you could add. For festive occasions, diced pork or smoked pork bones are used to add substance and variety. Bowls of red or green chile sauce served on the side flavor the posole further. Omit the fresh cilantro and add 2 t. of dried Mexican oregano. 2 t. of azafran (Mexican saffron) can be added at the same time and gives the posole a lovely golden color and a wonderful aromatic flavor. Bay leaves, freshly ground coriander seed, chile caribe (crushed red chile), or fresh lime juice may be also added.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 10:59 am
Quote:
2 cups posole, picked over for dirt or stones

That took the appetite right out of me. When "remove all foreign matter" beecomes part of thhe recipe, Ill eat grits in a box
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:00 am
Oh that sounds so good Bumblebee,
I'm going to print out your recipe and will sure try it.
We love to eat corn!

Thank you for the recipe Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 01:27 pm
You have to serve a piece of pig on New Year's Day because the pig is the only animal who roots forward instead of backing up as he feeds.

You need black eyed peas for wealth--accompanined by Greens for real folding money. Mr. Noddy won't touch greens, but will nibble at a bit of spinach.

Cabbage is manditory because cabbage is green year round.

You should also serve something new so that you'll finish the year wiser than you started.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 06:31 pm
remove all foreign matter from your pig there letty.
We have tto eat saur kraut with raisins and pork. For dessert is Schnitz und roeseine boi bleeechhh. Id eat greena and hamhocks and blackeye peas gladly than this Pa Dutch stuff.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 12:47 pm
Thats too funny!
0 Replies

Krysia

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 07:27 pm
Another thing we do with my Spanish family is jump 12 times, while eating said grapes mentioned in first post. We also write down 3 wishes for the new year on a paper, fold the paper, and burn them. The paper has to burn completely in order for the wishes to come true, though!!

After all that, we each take a cup of water and carry it out, and then toss the water into the street. That's to symbolize last year's crap being tossed away, unless they were lying to me. Wink

Sometimes we eat these certain beans (but they're not black eyed peas) as well, but not always.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 08:13 pm
Hey guys, it's pozole, not "posole" (unless they've changed the language over there in New Mexico). Plus it's great for hangover.
[Oh, that nostalgic song I used to sing while in Italy: "Pooozole mio!"]

New Year's Eve party can be quite fun in Mexico.
At least with my wive's family, which is quite big (my mother-in-law has 13 children, by birth or adopted, and most of them are married with children and live in a small city 2 hours north of the nation's capital).

First come the wishes. Each one writes his/her wishes for the next year on a thin piece of paper. They have to be good. The papers are lit and sent into the wind.
Then comes the dinner. Usually different dishes. We've had pozole some time. But also paella. tinga, you name it. This year we had shrimp, in different versions, the best ones were "a la diabla", boiled in chili sauce, and cochinita pibil (baked marinated stew).
Then come the gifts. None of them are serious. I have gotten a nasty wig, some briefs with a big elephant nose, a shoe-shining kit...
Then come the Diplomas, given after throughout voting: Mr (or Ms) "Dignity" (too sensitive), "Gas" (farts a lot), "Hammer" (stingy), "Tomb" (gossipy), "Cafre" (bad driver), "Bottle" (drunkard), "Ogre" (general bad temper), "Idiot", "Snake" (telling bad things about people), "Wild Beast" (easy to be enraged), "Baby Bottle" (by a wordplay: snotty, unpleasant), "Scroll" (wrinkled for his/her age), "Student of the Year" (the one with worst results) and "Apron of the Year" (the husband controlled by his wife).
Then comes the New Year. The 12 grapes (no jumping). The hugs. And then everyone has to run around the block. Adults ovber 25 who aren't married have to bring a suitcase with them so they "leave the house" by marrying during the next year (usually they're forced to grab the damn suitcase). All the others make the run so they can travel during the year. And often you see several families running around the block, laughing loudly.
Finally comes the karaoke tournament, for which every one has practiced during the last few days (this year I sang "Dragostea Din Tei" in Rumanian, got third place... and really can't sing at all).

And EVERYBODY wears red underwear.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 11:11 am
fbaezer wrote:
New Year's Eve party can be quite fun in Mexico.

Your New Years eve sounds like a lot more fun than what occurs in the US.

BBB
0 Replies