Has anyone seen Blade Runner 2049?

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2017 05:57 pm
I saw it this weekend and thought it was one of the best sci-fi movies I've seen in quite a while. Ex-Machina was probably the best before this.

The atmosphere of this sequel was very similar to the original and because that was so esoteric I think it's impressive that they pulled it off.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,014 • Replies: 20
No top replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2017 09:47 pm
Yes and I liked it, very seldom do I think that these long movies should have been so many minutes but here I did not mind. This movie was beautiful on the screen. I have problems with the story though, how this was another go at getting to the scenes that they wanted to shoot rather than making sense..GOTH does that and so many movies too....but this was fun enough that I did not care.

So very risque for 2017 too, allowing women to be objects of mens longing, women (even if not human) wanting to be objects of the male gaze,,,,,, you dont see that very much anymore .

Absolutely see this in a theater with recliners.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 05:59 am
@rosborne979,
I experienced this Sunday on the largest IMAX screen in North America.

I'll be back to elaborate on my thoughts on the movie but I rated it a 10/10 and am expecting it to grab Oscar noms in scoring, cinematography, and a best picture nod.
oralloy

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 07:42 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
Has anyone seen Blade Runner 2049?

Yep.

It's best seen in 2D with a 4K projector, if anyone is yet to see it, and on the largest possible screen you can see it on.

The 3D is weak according to this review:
http://www.3dor2d.com/reviews/blade-runner-2049

And it was filmed in 3.4K which means there is an advantage to seeing it projected in 4K instead of 2K:
http://realorfake4k.com/my-product/blade-runner-2049

(Note that in most cases you can only see 4K films in 2D. Most 3D releases only come in 2K resolution. The only exception is Laser IMAX, which is capable of 3D and 4K at the same time, but only a small handful of theaters have Laser IMAX.)
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 07:44 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Oooh. What did you think of Laser IMAX? It is supposed to offer unprecedented detail in darker scenes.
maporsche

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 08:14 am
@rosborne979,
I went last night. I left the theater after about 75 minutes. Absolutely the most boring movie I've seen in a long long time. I may have only walked out of 3 movies in my entire life.

Absolutely beautiful movie scenes (although, not that unusual anymore; many movies look great), but I could not stay awake during the film. It wasn't even a late show (started at 6:30pm).

So so bad.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 10:26 am
@maporsche,
Just out of curiosity, what do you consider a "good" Sci-Fi film? Example?
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 10:31 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:

Oooh. What did you think of Laser IMAX? It is supposed to offer unprecedented detail in darker scenes.

It's one of the loveliest IMAX films I've witnessed.
maporsche

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 10:45 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what do you consider a "good" Sci-Fi film? Example?

I googled Best Sci-fi Movies and found this list.
https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/guide/best-sci-fi-movies-of-all-time/

Top 20
#1. Max Max: Fury Road
#2. Metropolis
#3. ET
#4. Gravity
#5. Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens
#6. Alien
#7. Arrival
#8. War For the Planet of the Apes
#9. Wall-E
#10. Star Trek (2009)
#11. The Terminator
#12. Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope
#13. Invasion of the Body Snatchers
#14. Aliens
#15. Snowpiercer
#16. The Martian
#17. Her
#18. Star Wars Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back
#19. Forbidden Planet
#20. Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow

Of the top 20 (Page 5), I've seen all of them except: #19, #17, #13, #2.

The are all fantastic movies that I've seen multiple times. Some of them, more than 10 times.

maporsche

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 10:52 am
@maporsche,
Not on this list, but in the same vein as Blade Runner, I think....I enjoyed very much Ex Machina, I, Robot, A.I.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 11:12 am
@maporsche,
Interesting, we agree on a lot of movies, but strongly diverge on Blade Runner 2049. In any case, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it, I think you missed out.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 11:19 am
@rosborne979,
It seems clear to me that this movie is a setup for a sequel. I hope that the poor box-office showing does not derail their plans for the next one. And I hope they can keep the same director since I think he did an incredible job.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 11:53 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

It seems clear to me that this movie is a setup for a sequel. I hope that the poor box-office showing does not derail their plans for the next one. And I hope they can keep the same director since I think he did an incredible job.

This type of movie (praying to be so) may have legs cinema wise. It most likely won't break even but hopefully it will come close to breaking even before leaving the movie theater.
BoxOfficeMojo
https://i.imgur.com/xHpcPWo.jpg

China will get their theatrical release in 10 days.
Quote:
China WB 10/27/17 - - n/a N/A

Japan isn't on the Box Office Mojo foreign box office totals. They have to be getting a theatrical release. Sony is freaking Japanese. That only makes sense.

EDIT:
Japan also has a 27 October 2017 release.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 12:36 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
It's one of the loveliest IMAX films I've witnessed.

Laser IMAX uses a much brighter source of light than is traditionally used in projectors. This means they have a lot more shades of gray between black and white. And that means it can convey a lot more detail in darker scenes that will look more muddled with traditional projectors.

For the same reason Laser IMAX is also capable of displaying a much wider range of brilliant colors.

For movies that expand up to the full IMAX screen height, Laser IMAX projectors can also stretch their pixels vertically so that the picture covers the entire height of the tall screen. (Hint: This theater is where you should see Star Wars.)

For the four Christopher Nolan movies mastered on 15/70mm IMAX film (Dark Knight, Dark Knight Rises, Interstellar, Dunkirk) these stretched pixels are less than ideal. However, except for those four Christopher Nolan movies, "full IMAX" hollywood blockbusters (like Star Wars 7/8/9) are mastered from a 4K digital intermediate that stretches the pixels in exactly the same way. If a movie is produced from a 4K master with vertically stretched pixels, then there is no loss of resolution if it is shown on a 4K projector with vertically stretched pixels.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 01:18 pm
@maporsche,
Why no Matrix?
maporsche

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 01:56 pm
@PUNKEY,
Thats a great movie too.

I didn’t make the list.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2017 09:27 am
@maporsche,
maporsche

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2017 10:16 am
@tsarstepan,
Nope, 2049 was horrible IMO.
oralloy

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2017 03:58 pm
@maporsche,
I loved 2049.

I'm curious, what do you think of the original Blade Runner?
maporsche

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2017 09:58 pm
@oralloy,
Also bad but not as bad.
0 Replies