Famous Photographers: which ones do you admire?

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 10:04 pm
Neat!

Bob, I haven't seen you on a2k for a while (though you may have been). Interesting.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 10:08 pm
I have a friend who worked at his studio in Carmel and is a fine photographer now, Sook Chu Kim. And other friends who hold him as part of their loving Yosemite - not solely, of course, but tied to it.

I'm personally less attached re Ansel Adams, but interested.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 10:36 pm
ossobuco wrote:

Bob, I haven't seen you on a2k for a while (though you may have been). Interesting.

Heh, you should visit the "radio thread" and could see him on a daily basis there :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 11:48 pm
I am not aware of a radio thread. I beg your pardon if bob had not been missing.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 11:53 pm
With 11,076 posts and 80,607 reviews on 1,108 pages:

WA2K radio
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 12:17 am
Oh, thanks, I have participated and may again. I didn't know that was what you were referencing, sans link.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 04:46 am
It's true. I've been a regular captive of Letty's site wa2k radio. Walter would know as many afficianados drop by on a regular basis. Letty herself is a delight and an avid hostess cupcake.

As regards photography, I own Nikons, Pentax, Yahica twin len reflex. I have used a 4x5 view camera. I worked for thirty years in camera stores managing two of them. Most of my photograhy now is limited to my avocation of catching and banding migrating hawks for U. S. Fish and wildlife.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 10:12 am
That might be of some interest for you, Bob, but for others as well:

since about four weeks, I use a digital angle viewer, called zigview with my Nikon F 80, especially for macros and flower photos - just GREAT and really worth the money!
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 10:33 am
Walter, Thanks for the tip on the Zigview, which I just studied at its website--and, of course, immediately wanted to own! When I finally wore out my first serious camera, an M3 Leica, I switched to Hasselblad for film and a Nikon SLR for digital. The 'Blad can take excellent pictures of flora, BUT bracketing exposures gets VERY expensive. Consequently, I use that camera mostly for portraits of people. The Nikon has image quality and color rendition beyond my expectations, but whenever I get deeply into photographing flowers in our wet climate, I'll next be changing all my clothes! The Zigview looks like a great solution. Now, I'll need to track it down in the States. Thanks again.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 12:33 pm
Everyone - including the personal in my photshop - wants to have it, it seems Laughing

Well, it's really great ... and they even have a (although until now only on the web) German description).

Glad, if this was a good tip :wink:
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 12:34 pm
Has anyone mentioned Lucien Clergue? He impresses me a lot.

http://www.johnstevenson-gallery.com/clergue_2005/clergue_tn_2.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 12:38 pm
Me too. Great black/white contrast..
0 Replies

Munchkinbabes

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 11:25 am
alot of photographers I like were listed by timberlandko but a few others I like are william klein , phillip-lorca diCorcia , Martin Parr and william eggleston.
I like parrs somewhat satrical approach to the subjects he photographs, and the way he manages to empasize the colours and the saturation used.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 03:23 pm
@Munchkinbabes,
William Eggleston, Sally Mann, William Wegman, Alfred Stieglitz, Ansel Adams, Walker Evans,Robert Mapplethorpe, Michal Rovner....

I can't remember the artist's name... he builds up film location like sets just to photograph them. He always stages and choreographs the people in his photography. The photos have some incredible production values.

Great for creating moody deeply disturbing Hopperesque modern scenes of melancholy.
0 Replies