U.S. ECONOMY "SLUGGISH". COMPARED TO WHAT?

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 06:58 am
Google the words "sluggish U.S. economy" and "2004," and in 0.40 second you get 4,540 results. "Weak employment report points to still-sluggish U.S. economy," reads a recent headline, on the news that "just 112,000" jobs were added in November.

Well, we live in a world economy, so when headline writers use the word sluggish, we have to ask: Sluggish compared with whom? According to the November forecast of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, gross domestic product in the U.S. is expected to increase by 4.4% in 2004. Elsewhere, the OECD predicts growth of 4% for Japan, 2.7% for the U.K., 2.1% for France and 1.2% for Germany. For the 12-country euro zone, the figure is 1.8%. To put matters in historical perspective, the last time Japan, Britain, France and Germany had growth rates at or in excess of 4.4%, the years were 1990, 1994, 1989 and 1991, respectively.

But, some say, America's current economic performance is sluggish compared with its past performance. So let's look at the data again. From 1997 through 2000--the great Clinton go-go years--U.S. growth averaged 4.25%. For Mr. Clinton's first term, the average was 3.3%. For the eight years of the Reagan presidency, it was 3.4%. By what standard, then, can this year's forecasted 4.4% be described as sluggish?

Maybe it can be argued that it's been sluggish in terms of job gains. It is true that in 2004 there were some months when job growth failed to meet expectations, although there were other months when expectations were exceeded.

Here again, however, it's worth putting things in an international perspective. Overall, the U.S. economy has added 2.3 million jobs since the third quarter of 2003, bringing the unemployment rate down to 5.4% from 6% in October 2003. In Germany, the unemployment rate is 10%; in France it's 9.5%. For the 27 countries of the OECD, the average unemployment rate is 6.8%. Only Britain and Japan, among the major economies, have unemployment rates lower than the U.S.

More at: http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110006087

Evidence contrary to the writer's opinion welcomed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 674 • Replies: 2
No top replies

neue regel

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 07:28 am
If I have to spend all my time getting you up to speed, I'm never gonna get my work done and out the door early today, Larry. So let me give you the short version....first, don't compare numbers. Nobody's interested. Second, Terry McAuliffe said so...thus, Democrats say so........thus, the media says so...........

So in some minds, it's true.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 07:29 am
neue regel wrote:
If I have to spend all my time getting you up to speed, I'm never gonna get my work done and out the door early today, Larry. So let me give you the short version....first, don't compare numbers. Nobody's interested. Second, Terry McAuliffe said so...thus, Democrats say so........thus, the media says so...........

So in some minds, it's true.

LOL, neue. Well said...short and sweet.
0 Replies