Books for a 6 year old

Levi

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 06:25 pm
I have a nephew and I'm worried that his parents care little about his reading development. Once he's outside of school, I'm suspecting that there's no room for reading and writing amidst the television and video games.

His first grade teacher says he does well on his assignments, but I don't see why average should be a goal. What books could I buy for my nephew that would get him interested in reading outside of school? I ask because I fear I'll either buy books that are too simple and uninteresting or books that are too advanced...

Do any titles or authors come to mind?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,186 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 07:03 pm
What is your nephew interested in?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 08:41 pm
When my daughter was in first grade, the teacher
insisted that they read easy children books of the likes
of Dr. Seuss.

She thought it was necessary for them to enjoy reading
and not get into advanced books too soon. If they understand the stories and have little difficulties in reading
than they're more apt to contintue reading.

Well, it worked for us - my daughter is now 9 years old
and loves to read (mostly chapter books like Amelia Bodelia
and Junie B. Jones)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 08:18 am
My daughter is 6 and in kindergarten. What I look for is books with lots of 3 letter words as that is what she is learning to read now. Typically I sit down and read the longer words and have her read the three letter words. Do you get an opportunity to spend time with your nephew? If you so, you could read one of the books you get for him. And like Noddy suggests, the best books are those that is subject material interesting to your nephew. You should be able to find the appropriate subject matter in any reading level. You could also go to a book store that has an extensive children's section and ask for suggestions on what books are popular for his age group.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 10:08 am
My son has been reading those magic treehouse books. He seems to like them very much.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 10:22 am
Maybe the "Henry and Mudge" series by Cynthia Rylant?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 11:06 am
Revolting Rhymes by Roald Dahl? a retelling (very funny) of the well known nursery stories in rhyme - but with a twist - brought up to date and looked at clearly - Goldilocks is a little vandal who gets her comeuppance for breaking and entering, scoffing the food, breaking the chair and bed ..... It should appeal to his sense of humour and rhythm and rhyme enhance reading skills.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 02:09 pm
I'd ask the first grade teacher what reading level the little guy is on. Then I'd take him to the bookstore and let him pick out a few that are on his level. They're always more interested when they choose the book themselves.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 02:55 pm
I just loved reading Dr. Seuss to my niece, and now I just love reading Dr. Seuss to my daughter.

His elementary books like One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish are excellent as beginning reader books.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 05:02 pm
Dr Suess for sure! Kids like it when you make an arse of yourself trying to get through Fox in Socks. But, I bet they could read it just fine since they concentrate on each word at a time.

I agree that you should shop for him WITH him.
0 Replies

Devious Britches

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 09:59 pm
Also if you just can't get him to avoid the video games they do have reading and math video games. Will he play them is another thing. You might try books with cars or big trucks, things that capture his attention. My mom had a hard time getting my brother to read and his teacher got him into comic books. that got him interested in reading because then they would tell him if you read one book then you get one commic of your choice and it became a collection for him.
Anyhow good luck.
0 Replies