Bush Announces Plans to Form Coalition for Tsunami Aid

Lash

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 05:52 pm
No, but if Soros gave 15 million and Gates gave 150 million (which is a better comparison), Gates may seem less generous, but HE GAVE 150 MILLION. He fed a lot of people. He provided a lot of comfort. He also gives about the same amount 20 times over to other humanitarian concerns.

As a matter of fact, he practically keeps the world spinning.

(Please send him a thank you note.)
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 05:54 pm
I wasn't demeaning Gates, just challenging your logic. Which still mystifies me...
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 08:24 pm
Chrissee wrote:
D'artagnan wrote:
Larry434 wrote:
The U.S. will, as always, do more than its fair share I expect. As well we should being the international leaders we are.

Do you ever question what the gov't wants you to think? Because that statement is patently false.

If people did that, Bush wouldn;t be about to serve a second term.

The majority of the electorate is a thinking group. Which is why they preferred Bush over the alternative.

Don't underestimate us. We get it right more often than not.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 08:30 pm
I have no idea who "us" is but "us" is wrong more times then not.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 08:33 pm
dyslexia wrote:
I have no idea who "us" is but "us" is wrong more times then not.

Us be us voters. And we get it right more often than not.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 08:51 pm
dream on
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 08:52 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
So, like, if I donate $100 to a cause and Bill Gates donates $100, we're equally generous?
Bill Gates is the single biggest philanthropist alive today. He, and other private individual's (like you and I) private donations don't get counted on those ranking lists your referencing. The quantity of money raised by private donations in the United States probably dwarves the rest of the world's contributions combined.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 08:53 pm
dyslexia wrote:
dream on

And back attcha".

You know of a better system?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 08:57 pm
Um, so what's the purpose of planning to form a coalition?
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 09:00 pm
squinney wrote:
Um, so what's the purpose of planning to form a coalition?

It is what effective leaders like Bush do.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 09:01 pm
Didn't say there was a better system, I did, however, dismiss your profound statement that "we" are more right than wrong. Popular opinon has, more often than not, been amazingly wrong quite often. Of course, you can counter with, popular opinon is most often, the most popular. Now that would have been a most profound statement.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 09:08 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
I wasn't demeaning Gates, just challenging your logic. Which still mystifies me...

I know. I've been a little verbal tonight.
Gates is my metaphor for the US in the post you're referring to. (Although O'Bill brings up a valid point. I'd like to do a search of private donations, and see how THOSE stack up.)

This is what's bothering me.

Norway gives the highest % of their GDP, and let's hear it for Norway.
<woo hoooo> That's impressive. They give 92% of 1% of their income. That amounts to $2,043 million. Not so impressive, but their heart seems to be in the right place.

We give 14% of 1% of our GDP. Seems stingy when you look at it that way--but when you think about the reality of how much more that is that the highest % donor, AND the next six or seven high percentage donors, I think it is fair to say the US donates an incredible percentage of total donations. It shocks me that people carp about the percentage of what we give.

Last year, we donated $15,791 million.

The amount really must be considered.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 09:10 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Didn't say there was a better system, I did, however, dismiss your profound statement that "we" are more right than wrong. Popular opinon has, more often than not, been amazingly wrong quite often. Of course, you can counter with, popular opinon is most often, the most popular. Now that would have been a most profound statement.

O.K. I stand "dismissed". Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 09:14 pm
We are told to tithe 10%.

So, if you make 100,000 and the guy next to you on the pew makes 10,000, are you gonna be all proud of yourself for writing a check for 1500 just 'cause it's 500 more than the guy next to you?

(This is just to make the point. Not that we should donate 10% of GDP)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 09:27 pm
Squinney, I would very much like to see the US lead the world in percentage of GDP... but that's up to us. As the world's most generous nation, we should NEVER be subject to accusations of being stingy. Whatever I choose to give in charity, damn well ought to be appreciated, not slighted. I don't care if it's a quarter to a street-person or my estate upon my death it is a gift... not something I owe.

Man comes to me and says he's hungry, could I please help; he's getting fed. Another man comes up and says where's mine? He can die of starvation for all I care. See the difference?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 09:32 pm
well yeah bill, a few weks ago as I was getting out of my truck in front of the grocery a man came up to me asking for spare change so I reached in my pocket and pulled out a dollar bill and handed it to him. He said "Bless the lord." I said "give me back the dollar, you want to thank the lord, let him give you the dollar" I took the dollar back and went on my way.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 09:36 pm
I don't think you'll find a lot of tithers, or people who espouse the US adhering to Biblical standards in these parts, squinney.

(And, that brings up ANOTHER thing. Our nation gives at home, as well. I mean, people, we are handing out some money.)

But, as far as your statement--"are you gonna be all proud of yourself"... I don't think there's pride to US giving--it probably sounds like it, though. I think what you may describe as pride is a bit of indignation at other people criticising the amount we give.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 09:39 pm
Blimey - people can fight about anything.

You folk sure know how to beat around the Bush.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 09:40 pm
Heehee - I read "tithers" to almost rhyme with "titters" and was struck and amazed by what this tither could be.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 09:40 pm
Good for you Dys! That'll teach'um. I don't give money anymore because it's too commercial here... but I'll buy food. On my way into a gas station, a guy tells me he's starving. When I emerge with a hot dog, he tells me he doesn't eat dogs. Sucks to be him... I do.
0 Replies