Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 12:17 pm
SWORDFISH WITH BALSAMIC BROWN BUTTER SAUCE
Easy, elegant fare from chef John Jones at Renato's in Palm Beach.

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
6 6-ounce swordfish steaks (each about 3/4 inch thick)
Olive oil
2 tablespoons drained capers
Chopped tomatoes (optional)

Simmer butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat until deep golden brown, swirling pan occasionally, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk in vinegar, honey and mustard. Season sauce with salt and pepper.
Brush fish with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 3 swordfish steaks. Sauté just until opaque in center, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to plates; tent loosely with foil to keep warm. Repeat with remaining fish. Whisk sauce over low heat to rewarm if necessary. Spoon sauce over fish. Sprinkle with capers and, if desired, tomatoes.

I am making this for dinner tonight for some friends. Any suggestions as to a good side dish for this would be?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,657 • Replies: 6
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 12:26 pm
It will be a pretty hearty sauce, so I would follow suit with sides. Maybe some herb-roasted mini potatoes, and grilled Italian vegetables, peppers, eggplant, zucchini, that sort of thing.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 12:39 pm
Thanks cav , this is one of my more brave attempts at cooking. Starting to try some different recipes instead of just stuff I know I can cook.
I think I am going to try this for the pototoes.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 12:40 pm
That should work nicely sublime.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 12:46 pm
That recipe is similar to the one I do for salmon. I always serve it with garlic mashed potatoes and glazed carrots.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 12:46 pm
I will let you know how it turned out, i'm also going to make a side of asparagus. I think it would go well with the sauce.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 11:41 pm
Rave reviews! Thanks for the suggestions. I might be a better cook than I thought.

Swimpy- I will try it with salmon next time, the swordfish was great but a little pricey.
0 Replies