'Best trained, best equipped' baloney

DrewDad

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 01:37 pm
Hehehe'n at "Quagdad."
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 02:29 pm
Magus wrote:
farmerman's "loop" is, in practice, a militocracy rather than a Democratic Republic... do the American people WANT to be dictated to by a Military cabal?
Do you propose that we opt for the Spartan model rather than the Athenian?
Actually, it sounds as if he is extolling the corrupt Roman model ( i.e., Senators and Generals constantly intriguing and backstabbing?).

This thread/topic seems directed towards destroying illusions and delusions of "devout believers"... alas,
"religious mania" does not respond to rationale.
Obstinately refusing to accept a concept anathematous to your religious/partisan interests seems (to some) to be a "Badge of Courage".
(Those superficial enough to base their self-esteem upon such foolish badges... desperately NEED those badges.)

When Galileo and Copernicus defied The Church/Rome and announced that the Earth orbited around the Sun (rather than vice-versa), staunch Papists clung to the outmoded belief... as a matter of HONOR.
They banded together to target and persecute those who believed otherwise, and exploited such "honorable" actions as a justification for strutting and parading their Devotion to the Papal Authority.
They wore their badges ever so PROUDly.

In so doing, they made ignorance their bliss... and demanded that none dare to challenge that ignorance, which they perceived to be Virtuous and HONORable.

No, there's no reasoning with the "devout"... their illusions are sacrosanct, and they will battle to the death rather than surrender them.

THAT is what we are facing in Quagdad... just as we face it in Washington, D.C.
Hijacked by by fanatics... Society is enslaved by their conflicts.

Have you looked in the mirror when issuing your statements? This river runs both ways at its core and to claim one side is blinder then the other makes you the blindest of all!
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 03:01 pm
Aha, you acknowledge YOUR blindness... now if only you and your ilk would desist running about with bayonets in the darkness... and discounting the "collateral damage"...
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 03:10 pm
Magus wrote:
Aha, you acknowledge YOUR blindness... now if only you and your ilk would desist running about with bayonets in the darkness... and discounting the "collateral damage"...

Have you ever been in the military?
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 06:19 pm
Does 8 years under the nuns and 2 years of Jesuit -run schooling count as "the military"?
Actually, I escaped the draft by a matter of months and the Grace of God... but my step-father was a career Navy man, and just about all of my male relatives were veterans. A close elder cousin came back wounded from Viet Nam.
My dad ( a WWII veteran) spent over thirty years building Nuclear submarines, and I spent a couple of years at the shipyard myself... so I AM acquainted with the concept of "War For Fun And Profit".

("Military Contractor" is the ultimate racket/scam!)
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 04:32 pm
Magus wrote:

I see you made my point!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 04:46 pm
I've not been in the miltary...but I did spoend the night at a Holiday Inn Express last night...and being in the military doesn't make you an expert on anything including the military.....
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 05:12 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
t...and being in the military doesn't make you an expert on anything including the military.....

That's a true statement, BPB. It's also true that one who's been in the military is probably more of an expert concerning the military after having served, than they were before they served. :wink:
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 05:23 pm
Considering whose running this war and their military experience, that's opening a can of worms that's consistantly been avoided. Must be that cheap, greasy baloney everyone is buying at WalMart.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 06:20 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
t...and being in the military doesn't make you an expert on anything including the military.....

That's a true statement, BPB. It's also true that one who's been in the military is probably more of an expert concerning the military after having served, than they were before they served. :wink:

two words.... Beetle Bailey Razz
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 07:00 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Your right it doesn't make you an expert but it does make you better informed on military issues and training. Someone who has never been in the military has a hard time talking about how well trained the military is or how well they should be trained.

I would never presume to tell BPB how to perform on stage because I have never done so.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 09:55 pm
or Gomer Pyle.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 12:49 pm
Magus wrote:
....My dad ( a WWII veteran) spent over thirty years building Nuclear submarines, and I spent a couple of years at the shipyard myself... so I AM acquainted with the concept of "War For Fun And Profit".

("Military Contractor" is the ultimate racket/scam!)

Hold it right there, Magus. That Groton, CT, presumably - so what precisely was at fault with the nuclear subs?
0 Replies