We May Be Running Lower On Patriots

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 01:31 pm
not like any inconsequential thing like the approval of the people he's elected to represent matters to the bush agenda

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000742492
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,798 • Replies: 24
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 01:32 pm
That'll change once all the 'good news' from Iraq gets air time with the 'liberal media'.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 01:35 pm
This caught my eye:

NEW YORK Six Navy SEALs and two of their wives filed a lawsuit against The Associated Press and one of its reporters today for allegedly revealing their identities in photos published in early December, according to a press release from the plaintiffs.

When attorneys get involved with torture and prisoner interrogation, it's really war.
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 11:07 pm
Re: We May Be Running Lower On Patriots
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
not like any inconsequential thing like the approval of the people he's elected to represent matters to the bush agenda

I guess that's what happens when people start to think for themselves again and realize they were lied to. There has always been a segment of the population that distrusts our gov't and now I suppose that segment has gotten larger. Thanks George!
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 11:37 pm
RfromP wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

I guess that's what happens when people start to think for themselves again and realize they were lied to. There has always been a segment of the population that distrusts our gov't and now I suppose that segment has gotten larger. Thanks George!

Actually, I just recently read an interesting article pointing out that whereas the general population was distrustful of government (I think it said a decade or two ago), that a recent poll finds the majority are now "trusting" of government. Thanks, George! Smile
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 12:20 pm
JustWonders wrote:
Actually, I just recently read an interesting article pointing out that whereas the general population was distrustful of government (I think it said a decade or two ago), that a recent poll finds the majority are now "trusting" of government. Thanks, George! Smile

Can you give the source of these polls and article because all evidence I can find is to the contrary.

Sources
National Election Studies
Brookings Institute
The Gallup Organization

Trends in Trust
November 10, 2004

Trust in the government's ability to handle both international and domestic problems surged dramatically after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. In October 2001, 83% of Americans said they had either a great deal or fair amount of trust in the government's ability to handle international problems. The percentage expressing that viewpoint declined gradually over the next three years and has now returned to its pre-9/11 levels. In fact, high trust in the government to handle international affairs (63%) is significantly lower now than when Bush first entered office (75%).

Trust in the government to handle domestic problems jumped from 60% to 77% right after 9/11, and now is back down to the pre-9/11 level at 61%.

Trust in the executive branch has remained relatively steady over the past several years, except for a bump that occurred the year after 9/11 (only annual measures have been taken on this item). Just before the terrorist attacks in 2001, 63% of Americans expressed a high level of trust, but the next September 72% expressed that view. In 2003, trust had returned to 60%, and is now at 58%.

If there was a bump in trust in the legislative branch following 9/11, it had all but disappeared by the following year. In the Sept. 7-10, 2001 poll, 65% expressed high trust, compared with 67% a year later.

Trust in the judicial branch, including the Supreme Court, has traditionally been higher than trust in the other two branches. In the past two years, however, trust in the judicial branch has dipped below the 70% level.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 12:32 pm
Nope, I only read the article in passing and it didn't occur to me to bookmark it for future reference.

Note I said "majority", which your post seems to agree with.

I don't see any statistics showing the overall population being overwhelmingly "distrustful". Maybe I missed it.
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 03:16 pm
JustWonders wrote:
Nope, I only read the article in passing and it didn't occur to me to bookmark it for future reference.

Then it is just hearsay and not acceptable to support your claim.

Quote:
Note I said "majority", which your post seems to agree with.

A majority is a number greater than half of a total but when used in the context of saying the majority of people are trusting of government is misleading. A majority in the low 60's is an unconvincing "majority."

Quote:
I don't see any statistics showing the overall population being overwhelmingly "distrustful". Maybe I missed it.

That's because I never said that smartypants.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 03:21 pm
you will though concede that based on this poll, the support for bush and his iraqi adventure is on the wane? Has lowered?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 03:23 pm
Anyone else notice the increase in ads on tv to join the Reserves? It was quite striking this past week.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 03:26 pm
RfromP wrote:
A majority is a number greater than half of a total but when used in the context of saying the majority of people are trusting of government is misleading. A majority in the low 60's is an unconvincing "majority."

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Wait a sec. Let me recap because I've not been following this thread closely .... JW said:

JW wrote:
a recent poll finds the majority are now "trusting" of government.

... which you disputed and demanded proof, and when she couldn't you chastised JW as promoting mere "hearsay" which did not support her claim. Then when she pointed out that some numbers you posted indicated a 60% majority of people are trusting of government, you now claim that is an .... "unconvincing majority"? ....

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 03:49 pm
I guess were getting hung up on semantics. Better yet, what you interpret as a majority.

Like I said, a majority is a number greater than half of a total. What I'm saying is while it is a majority in the strict definition of the word it implies that most people are trusting of the government.

I disagree. A number slightly over half (while a majority by definition) is not enough to convince me that a majority of citizens are trusting of government.

If the number was say 80% or more then I would agree with the majority statement. That's what I mean by "convincing" majority.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 04:04 pm
RfromP wrote:
I guess were getting hung up on semantics. Better yet, what you interpret as a majority.

Like I said, a majority is a number greater than half of a total. What I'm saying is while it is a majority in the strict definition of the word it implies that most people are trusting of the government.

I disagree. A number slightly over half (while a majority by definition) is not enough to convince me that a majority of citizens are trusting of government.

If the number was say 80% or more then I would agree with the majority statement. That's what I mean by "convincing" majority.

If you agree that the term "majority" means a number greater than half, why are you having trouble understanding that means "most"?

Let me guess ... you're not convinced Bush won the election merely because he received the majority of votes, are you? You don't think he got "most" of the votes?

I mean, if a number representing "slightly over half" of US citizens who are trusting of government is not sufficient to convince you that most citizens are trusting of government, I imagine the fact that most voting Americans voted for Bush is not enough to convince you that Bush won the election?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 04:10 pm
but you will agree that based on the poll numbers the amount of people who trust the government, at least where Iraq is concerned has dwindled?
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 04:37 pm
O.k., 50.1%, 65% or 99.9 % constitutes a majority or most if you like. I see where you're coming from. Whether the number is low 60's or high 90's is immaterial, it is still a majority so I agree that yes, most people are trusting of government.

I guess what I'm getting at is I'd like to see the number much higher and I think more could be done by our leaders to get it where it ought to be. Of course there will be a segment of the population who will always distrust the government (conspiracy theorists, Area 51 foolishness, etc.) but that segment doesn't have to be so large.

As for the election, I've moved on. Anybody gonna answer BPB by the way?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 04:39 pm
these guys would rather choke on a pretzel than admit I'm right about anything ever :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 04:42 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
these guys would rather choke on a pretzel than admit I'm right about anything ever :wink: Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 04:43 pm
The word "most" connotes a number greater than a mere slim majority. To say most Americans believe this or that is misleading if the only proof you have is a poll that cites say 51%.
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 04:51 pm
That's a great point Chrissee and the one I was trying to get across earlier, just couldn't say it as well as you. Welcome to A2K!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 05:00 pm
Chrissee wrote:
The word "most" connotes a number greater than a mere slim majority. To say most Americans believe this or that is misleading if the only proof you have is a poll that cites say 51%.

Sez you.

And welcome to A2K.
0 Replies