Lost a friend to suicide

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2017 07:51 pm
Last night a friend of mine decided to end her life. She was young (late twenties), had a great husband, good job, educated, and healthy. She was a good person. She spent most of her youth and adult life seeking peace from depression. Her mom said she "finally lost the battle". I can't help but think that from her point of view, standing there before jumping to her death, that she finally won her battle and achieved the peace she so desperately needed.

To my friend, I do hope you found peace.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,592 • Replies: 5
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2017 08:12 pm
Suicide is sometimes the way out a person needs. I see it as an individual, case by case, thing. Many suicides can be halted and the subject saved with treatment. It's not my expertise to know who should be stopped and who not.
0 Replies

seac

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2017 11:02 pm
@tibbleinparadise,
I lost two friends to suicides. One because he lost his job, and the other over losing a girlfriend. There was nothing to indicate they were going to do it before it happened. And I never really felt sorry or anything much about them dying. They both blew their brains out.
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2017 11:11 pm
@seac,
Studies of suicide show that most suicieds are pretty much spur-of-the-moment, not something planned out in detail over a long period of time, and that most people who tried it and survived are glad that it failed, it just hit them at a particularly low point, and if they survived, they got past that point. Guns are particularly lethal, and it's harder to live longenough to regret it because gun suicides are far mor likely to be fatal on the first attempt.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2017 01:16 am
@tibbleinparadise,
Sorry to hear that. Depression isn't logical, things can be going well but if you're depressed you're depressed. Mental illnesses are just that, illnesses.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2017 06:07 am
@MontereyJack,
This is why male suicides, particularly in the US, are much more likely to be lethal. It's because they are more likely to use guns or try to hang themselves but, unfortunately, women are starting to use hanging as a method more.

@tibbleinparadise - I am so sorry for your loss.
0 Replies