4x4 Question

Pitter

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 05:58 am
When (what year) did Warn lock out hubs first become available?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,205 • Replies: 21
No top replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 11:00 am
I'm not sure when they became available, but I do know they make them for a lot of older 4x4's. What are you putting them on?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 12:30 pm
Warn started business in 1948. Their original product was manual locking hubs for surplus World War II Jeeps.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 01:16 pm
Warn manual hubs are a helluva lot sturdier than OEM electrics, and their premium hubs are better than the Warn-built OEM manuals used by most 4x4 manufacturors. If ya take yer off-roadin' seriously, though, ya might wanna check out MileMarker; I've long favored 'em over Warn - they seem lots harder (but not impossible) to break - but that's me. Your mileage may very.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 07:45 pm
Oh I was just idly wondering. My vitara came factory equiped with lock out hubs (not warn) but I see an awfull lot of older 4x4s around here with out 'em. As I understand it the idea is to save wear and tear on the front end and fuel but a mechanic once asked me what's the difference? the front and rear difs are the same machinery and the rear is in operation all the time and pretty much lasts the life of the vehicle. I'm sure PV4 Magazine must have done a fuel comparison test back in the seventies but I can't remember.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 08:14 pm
The big difference, to me anyway, is 3 or 4 MPG with the manual hubs and a BIG difference in how the vehicle handles at higher speeds on paved roads.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 10:50 pm
Timber- I have heard good things about milemarker but I ended up going with a Warn winch on my Jeep, any recommendations on lockers?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 12:32 am
When you say "lockers" are you talkin' about differentials, axle hubs, brake locks, or accessory/tool boxes?
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 07:16 am
Wasn't the sixties era Ford Bronco the only US 4x4 offered with limited slip in both axles? Did any US vehicle come factory equiped with a diferential locker? I think I've heard some of the new ones do. I believe German and Austrian vehicles like Mercedez Benz and Pinzgaur did. I put a locker in the front of a '74 Ford F-250 when the original broke. Can't remember the name but think it operated using some kind of worm gear. It worked well and there was no steering conflict.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 07:21 am
Lots of US built trucks came with limited slip differentials (or at least had the option of buying one with it). Chevy/GMC, Ford, Dodge, Jeep, etc.. all offered them at one time or another.

I don't think any ever came with lockers though. A locker is usually a bad idea on paved roads in normal use and they tend to break down faster than your standard differential.

The Detriot Locker was the "biggie" originally but I think the ARB Lockers are overtaking them simnply because you can have a "part-time" locker which is a very nice option.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 07:46 am
Yes but wasn't the Bronco the only one to offer limited slip in both the front and rear axels?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 09:03 am
As I recall, a limited-slip front diff has long been widely available, at least as a "special order" or "fleet only" option - not real common, but available. I know Ford and Dodge offered true front lockers as a fleet option. I had a Ford F-750 wrecker with one - damned near undriveable on pavement with the front axle engaged. Puppy had real big rubber, with duals on the back - wasn't much it couldn't do off road. Guarantee ya one thing; if ya got that puppy stuck, the only thing that would get it out was a much bigger truck - or a cat. Been there done that.

Oh, yeah - and it had a 460, which we goosed up a little. Got about 4 MPG regardless - but it'd go anywhere, and yank anything. First truck I had with fanbelt hydraulics, too; only way to go, as far as I'm concerned now. I sorta miss that monster.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 03:14 pm
F-750 hmmm...that's a big 'un. Looking at a Popular Mechanics I see Dodge Power Wagon and Jeep Rubicon are both offered with factory installed locking front differentials. You miss your F-750, I miss my '56 IHC S 120 4x4.
0 Replies

thorman944

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 10:53 am
when someone uses the term 'lockers' in reference to 4x4 trucks. they can only mean locking differentials. as mentioned, jeep rubicon and unlimited/rubicon models offer them standard. it's an option with dodge power wagons and the nissan titan. also, land rover has had electronic lockers or air lockers as either standard equipment (defender 90) or optional equipment (luxo models) for years now.

didn't the ih scout offer dual limited slips in the 70's??
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 03:52 pm
Sorry guys, I had forgot that I had asked that question. I did mean a locking differential. I understand that several types are available, compressed air controlled, manual, and I think they are now offering electronic controlled ones. I have a 92 Wrangler that is built up but it is sometimes hard to get out of the mud when only two of the four tires are spinning.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 05:57 am
The Scout probobly did. I recall IHC offering a seemingly endless array of options in that era. I can't even imagine what a 2005 Travelall would be like. What a shame IHC ain't around anymore.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 12:34 pm
LOL re Scouts - I useta play with 'em a bunch. One of the most frustratin' aspects of the critters was that IHC would change parts durin' a model run. Ya hadda look up parts appropriate to the serial number sequence applicable to the Scout you were workin' on, not by year, model, and equipment. For instance, one particular windshield wiper motor-and-actuatin' arm assembly might be called for on a few hundred vehicles produced from time A through time B in model year C with engine/trans/equipment package D, then, without notice or explanation, a different assembly would be required for the very next and all subsequent serial numbers (until the next change, which sometimes was a reversion to the earlier part, or even one from an earlier model year) ... different bolt-hole alignments, different clearances, different attachment angles, and so forth. Great entertainment value there.

Oh - and yeah, dual lockers were available. They were special order, as I recall, but unrestricted; any dealer could order a vehicle with 'em for any customer. I'd hafta dig way back to be sure, but I think they were Dana.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 12:40 pm
Not exactly for the weekend warrior. I am considering an engine swap in my Jeep if and when the S6 gives out.
Timber do you still go 4 wheeling?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 12:45 pm
Oh, yeah - I still go 4 wheelin' - I love gettin' mud on the backs of my mirrors. A winch with snatchblock tackle, a couple high-lift farm jacks, a full-sized long-handled shovel, and a couple 8' long 2x10s faced on both sides with firmly attached roofin' shingles are just about standard equipment, far as I'm concerned Laughing

A few 70# tubes of sand are handy to have along, too, sometimes.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 12:54 pm
Quote:
A few 70# tubes of sand are handy to have along, too, sometimes.

Not sure but let me venture a guess. Use them as an anchor of sorts to pull your self out?

Sounds like you have some fun. Where in WI are you? I am heading up to Wassau later this month and maybe Merrimac next weekend.
0 Replies