Catalonia wants out; Spain says no

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2017 06:03 am
Yes, Walter, this has to make many leaders in Europe nervous.

Lash has sneered at people who are knowledgeable in history, and in particular at me. But as the dictum has it, people who forget their history are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past. In the wake of the Second World War, the colonial empires disintegrated in Asia and Africa. This process was most dramatic in the subcontinent, with the creation of the nation of India, and East and West Pakistan. In our own lifetime, we have seen the fragmentation of Pakistan, with India gleefully participating in the process of the creation of Bangladesh. The same thing happened, but failed in Nigeria-Biafra. French Indochina broke down into four "nations," leading to one of the most disastrous wars in which the United States has ever been involved. The process in Africa and Asia is not ended, yet, either. Witness the holocaust in Rwanda, and in Myanmar/Burma.

It has happened in Europe in our lifetime as well. The collapse of the Soviet Union lead to a fragmentation, and the repercussions still echo from that. The Russians pried Abkhazia and Ossetia away from Georgia, and ruthlessly crushed independence movements in Ingushetia and Chechnya. It was realpolitik that they would seize the Crimean peninsula when the Ukrainians tossed out Putin's lap dog, but the Crimean Tatars are looking around and asking: "Hey, what about us?" (After all, they stole the peninsula in the 13th century, fair and square, flying on the Mongol coattails.) Putin has found it useful to back rebels in the Ukraine to keep the pot boiling and to keep Kyiv off balance. He sure as hell isn't going to give up the major naval facilities in Crimea.

Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia were created at the Paris Peace Conference in 1919, and they have fragmented in our lifetime, very recently. The Sámi of northern Scandinavia are the people of what is called Lapland in English, and they stretch across Norway, Sweden, Finland and Russia. What about them?

Spain did not exist in 1492. It did not exist in 1504 when Isabella of Castile died. (History's most ferocious ditzy blonde.) It did not exist in 1506 when Felipe I died. Poor Juana, she outlived her mother, her father, her husband and most of her children. Ferdinand was the brains of the operation, as Isabella was the military muscle. He made the marriage matches that sent Catalina to England (where she became known as Catherine of Aragon) and sent Juana to Burgundy to marry Philippe of Burgundy, who became Felipe I. Ferdinand suckered Henry VIII into invading France in a hopeless and witless effort to retake Gascony, and behind the unwitting shield of the English army, he stole the kingdom of Navarre, fair and square. It was actually his grandson, Carlos, who completed the conquest, and got their charming Basque neighbors. Carlos created the modern nation of Spain, and then bribed the German Electors with new world gold and silver to make him the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V. Once bitten, twice shy--the Germans never repeated that mistake.

This is a part of a process which has been going on since 1945. Anyone who cannot see that is ignorant, or a fool or both. There truly is nothing new under the sun.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2017 06:36 am
@Setanta,
I've always been interested in this, from my very youth onwards.

The state now known as Germany was unified as a modern nation-state only in 1871, but even then it was nothing similar like today.

My native town - as the example which led to said interest - was at first part of a Saxon stem duchy, then of the county known as Werl-Arnsberg, which later was occupied by the archbishop of Cologne and became the Duchy of Westphalia after the Investiture Controversy in the 12th century.
In 1802 we became part of the Landgraviate of Hesse-Darmstadt, in 1815 Prussian.

Today South Westphalia ("Südwestfalen"), which consists mainly of the old Cologne Westphalian duchy, has an industrial region which "is one of the oldest and most successful in Europe and has been one of Germany’s favourite areas for outdoor activities and holidays for decades" source.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2017 06:56 am
I confess to not looking at the colonialism of Europeans (originally on their own continent) until much later in my historical reading. Initially, I was interested in ancient history, as a study in origins. That lead me to Roman history, which is actually a study of the most coherent and successful empire in history, despite the silly popular notions about the Roman empire. From there I progressed to the formation of England and France, and then Spain and Germany. It was in that progression that I quickly recognized the consequences of colonialism, and it's collapse. After all, the breakdown of the Congo, the crisis in Aden, the Biafran war and the East Pakistan/Bangladesh war were current events of my youth. As I learned how nation states were cobbled together in Europe, the pieces just fell into place.

Spain was a particularly interesting story, from the Roman and Carthaginian occupation and wars, through the Germanic invasions, the Muslim/Berber invasions, the chaos of the Vandal/Visigothic kingdoms (even England got sucked into that with Edward of Woodstock and John of Gaunt) to the reconquista and the eventual creation of Spain by Isabella and Ferdinand, and their grandson Carlos. Lots of bizarre personalities there--like Pedro the Cruel who suckered Edward of Woodstock into coming to Castile. Isabella, Ferdinand, Catalina, Juana la loca and Carlos are the big stars, in my never humble opinion. They sowed destruction and chaos throughout Europe, and with reckless abandon, helped to seriously injure the Catholic church about which they were so fanatical--especially in England and Germany.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2017 02:11 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

... But as the dictum has it, people who forget their history are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past.

However,since the "victors" write the history for posterity, the victors believe they made few mistakes. Any mistakes made can be repeated, since they were hidden in the official version of the victors' history.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2017 11:43 pm
I do think that it actually is more and goes further back than noted in this opinion:

As Germany and Spain prove, history – with all its wounds – is not over

But it describes the current situation were well.

Quote:
Isaiah Berlin once wrote that nationalism feeds on a sense of wounded pride and humiliation. As Europe tries to sort itself out and prepare for the future – including through grassroots “democratic conventions” due next year across the continent – it would do well to pay closer attention to those wounds left by history. We thought that they had healed – but they really haven’t.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2017 04:07 am
Quote:
Rallies are expected in Spain against Catalonian independence, after Sunday's disputed referendum.
Demonstrations are planned in the capital Madrid and other cities, with supporters calling for a similar rally in Catalonia's capital Barcelona.
Meanwhile, Spain's government representative in Catalonia earlier apologised to those hurt during police efforts to stop the referendum.
But Enric Millo blamed the Catalan government for holding an illegal vote.
In the first apology by a Spanish government official over the violence during the referendum, Mr Millo said he could not help but "regret it and apologise on behalf of the officers that intervened".
Hundreds of people were injured as police, trying to enforce a Spanish court ban on the vote, attempted to seize ballot boxes and disperse voters.
Thirty-three police officers were also hurt.
Catalan President Carles Puigdemont now plans to address the Catalan parliament on Tuesday at 18:00 local time (16:00 GMT), the speaker of the parliament in the autonomous north-eastern region says.
Spain's Constitutional Court had earlier suspended the Catalan parliament session that had been planned for Monday.
There is speculation that the parliament will declare independence unilaterally at its next sitting, based on the referendum.
The final results from the poll show 90% of the 2.3m people who voted backed independence. Turnout was 43%.
There have been several claims of irregularities, and many ballot boxes were seized by the Spanish police.
After a cabinet meeting, the Spanish government spokesman also expressed regret that people had "suffered consequences" during Sunday's vote - though he cast doubt on the numbers who had been injured.
Íñigo Méndez de Vigo suggested that new elections in Catalonia might be a way to heal the fracture caused by the disputed referendum.
Meanwhile, the former leader of Catalonia, Artur Mas, told the Financial Times that the region was not yet ready for real independence - even though he believed it had won the right to break away.
The competing authorities in Barcelona and Madrid could each take a potentially dramatic step. Barcelona has the option of making a unilateral declaration of independence. For its part, Madrid has the power to dissolve self-rule in Catalonia. Each step - if taken - would provoke a constitutional crisis in Spain.
There are some signs that each side may choose to pause. Mr Puigdemont says he will deliver a report to the Catalan parliament on Tuesday about the political situation - a deliberately vague form of words which gives him room for manoeuvre.
In other developments:
Some major firms have decided to move either their headquarters or transfer their legally-registered bases from Barcelona
The Catalan chief of police, Josep Lluis Trapero, appeared before a judge in a national criminal court in Madrid on suspicion of sedition against the state

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41533587
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2017 06:25 am
@izzythepush,
Spaniards take to streets as Catalonia independence tensions rise
Quote:
MADRID/BARCELONA (Reuters) - Thousands of people gathered in Madrid and Barcelona on Saturday as Catalonia prepared to declare independence, many dressed in white and calling for talks to defuse Spain’s worst political crisis for decades.
[...]
The political stand-off has divided the country, pushed banks and companies to move their headquarters outside Catalonia and shaken market confidence in the Spanish economy, prompting calls from the European Commission for Catalan and Spanish leaders to find a political solution.
[...]

EU CONCERNS
The crisis has also caused disquiet among Spain’s European Union partners and German Chancellor Angela Merkel has discussed it with European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker, an EU official told Reuters.

Concern is growing in EU capitals about the negative impact of the crisis on the Spanish economy, the fourth largest in the euro zone, and on possible spillovers to other economies.

European finance ministers, gathering in Brussels on Monday and Tuesday for a regular meeting, could discuss the issue, although it is not formally on the agenda, EU officials said.

The support given in public statements by EU leaders to Rajoy is combined with concern expressed in private about how the Spanish government’s use of police to prevent Catalans from voting last week in an independence referendum could backfire.

Some EU states are worried that talk of Catalan independence could fuel secessionist feelings in other parts of Europe.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2017 12:11 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Pro-unity Catalans take to the streets to condemn ‘selfish revolution’
Quote:
Catalonia heads for chaos as huge numbers of ‘the silenced’ prepare to join Barcelona protest march

They call themselves the silenced; the Catalans who are opposed to independence but have been unable – and often afraid – to make their voice heard above the roaring passion of the secessionists.

Huge numbers are expected to protest on Sunday in Barcelona against the perceived hijacking of the political process by an independence movement that has so far never won the support of more than 48% of the population....
... ... ...
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 01:00 am
Quote:
Any declaration of independence by Catalonia will have no effect, Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy has warned, adding that he is not ruling out suspending the region's autonomy.
In an interview with El Pais newspaper, Mr Rajoy also rejected any mediation to resolve the crisis.
Earlier, thousands of people rallied across the country for Spanish unity.
The demonstrations were in response to last Sunday's disputed referendum on Catalan independence.
In the El Pais interview, Mr Rajoy said: "The government will ensure that any declaration of independence will lead to nothing."
Asked whether he was prepared to invoke Article 155 of Spain's constitution, which allows the national parliament to intervene in the running of an autonomous region, Mr Rajoy said: "I don't rule out absolutely anything that is within the law."
The prime minister also said he planned to keep extra police deployed to Catalonia before the referendum until the crisis was over.
And he added that he would not call early national elections because of the growing political crisis.
Catalan President Carles Puigdemont is expected to address the regional parliament on Tuesday at 18:00 local time (16:00 GMT) after Spain's Constitutional Court earlier suspended the Catalan parliament session that had been planned for Monday.
There is speculation that the parliament will declare independence unilaterally at its next sitting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41540994
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 05:44 am
@izzythepush,
Today (Sunday) again, tens of thousands of people took to the streets of Catalonia's capital Barcelona to express their opposition to any declaration of independence from Spain.
Lash

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 06:41 am
@Walter Hinteler,
There’s some crazy **** going on in Catalonia today. Twitter is filled with pictures from the scene of busloads coming in to Catalonia, groups making Nazi salutes.

Hard to see who’s who and hard to know who’s pulling strings.

I guess it’ll shake out soon, and hopefully, we can find responsible reporting.
Lash

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 06:49 am
Will wait for a translation of Mario Vargas Llosa’s speech in Barcelona.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 08:48 am
More than 350,000 people demonstrated against the secession of Catalonia today in Barcelona.
(Societat Civil Catalana claimed 950,000 marched but police put the figure at 350,000.)

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 08:56 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
groups making Nazi salutes.
Really? To what I know and what I have watched on tv, some Falange thugs were lining up by the Spanish colours, giving a fascist salute. But that was yesterday, and in Madrid, so you might have got sources I didn't get.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 09:02 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Will wait for a translation of Mario Vargas Llosa’s speech in Barcelona.
Would be nice if you post that translation after you got it.
What had been widely quoted was that he said ""Spanish democracy is here and there, no separatist conspiracy will destroy it."
Lash

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 10:00 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yes. My poor Spanish was able to pick out the headline. I’m very interested in his argument.

I almost always lean to the side of local self-determination which- unless there is an overriding, better solution - I support as a default position.

However, I’m always open to any better solution.

I’ve respected Llosa before, his passion and dedication for what he considered to be the best path. My mind isn’t closed to alternate opinions.

Is yours? 😏
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 10:13 am
@Lash,
Mario Vargas Llosa is a member of the Popular Party (PP), so his opinion here isn't of any surprise. He's a conservative.

I'm neither surprised about what you called above "local self-determination" nor that the citizens of this region have disregarded the possible consequences.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 10:56 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I've thought a bit about your "local self-determination".

So that regional autonomy is granted, that isn't enough for you?
Do you think that every section of a population of a country, who discovers some form of common identity, can derive from that fact that they want to live in their own independent country?

Nations aren't just there - they are made, grew over centuries.
Of course, it is possible to come up with the idea that the national movements made a mistake in the 18th and 19th centuries and that we should actually go back to the small states.

I believe that overcoming small states was an act of modernisation and emancipation.

Particularism poisons the relations between people and states, not just the economy.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 11:21 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I take back my early-on enthusiasm for Catalonia going ahead with leaving; I plain don't know enough, lost my sureness, and am now seeing Walter's points. I'll be quiet and read along.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 11:31 am
The Partido Popular ("People's Party") led by Mariano Rajoy in Madrid, was, after Franco's death, a party of former Francoists (i.e. Fascists), and is widely regarded as the political arm of Opus Dei. That is widely known in Catalunya where people have long memories. No difficulty for me in deciding which side to support, even if I had never been to Catalunya and did not know any Catalans. In an anti-Catalan-independence rally in Madrid, Fascist salutes were seen.