AP: Rumsfeld Makes Surprise Visit to Iraq

RfromP

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 10:18 pm
Amidst the recent charges of perceived apathy towards our troops Rumsfeld makes a surprise visit to our troops. Does this seem transparent and contrived to anyone else? Although it is a matter of routine for the President and cabinet members to visit troops during the holidays I still can't help but feel the motivation for his visit is to say, "See I care for the troops. I'm not a cold hearted bastard who sends letters of condolence signed by a machine who doesn't care if the soldiers are properly equipped."

His visit smacks as self serving and not a genuine visit out of concern for the troops. Maybe I'm just too cynical.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 498 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Lash

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 10:20 pm
The trip was (purportedly) scheduled for several weeks. I don't think he slapped it together for a photo op--but, who knows, really.
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 01:00 am
IMHO opinion, if it were just a sham, then the press would have been notified more ahead of time, and the secrecy wouldn't have been so high. I do believe it was planned for weeks, and it just appears to be for political game due to the timing. But then again, Im among the dozen people that actually like Rummy.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 10:11 am
The photo-ops with troops is just a side-bar... Rummy's trip has several objectives, but the photo-ops are just ancillary.
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 11:26 am
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 03:06 pm
Bad enough to be in Iraq for Christmas without making things worse by unwanted and unasked for company....the assumption that this visit is uplifting or means something is typical of the self satisfied and self important attitude of these arrogant c*#ksuckers....
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 07:54 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Bad enough to be in Iraq for Christmas without making things worse by unwanted and unasked for company....the assumption that this visit is uplifting or means something is typical of the self satisfied and self important attitude of these arrogant c*#ksuckers....

It means nothing to you. It means a lot to those soldiers that are over there.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 08:04 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

It means nothing to you. It means a lot to those soldiers that are over there.

and you know this how? You've been appointed official morale spokesman for the armed services? congratulations. truth is, you have no more qualifications to speak for them than I do...so go have some egg nog and calm down.
0 Replies