Destined to repeat the past?

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 07:28 am
I've heard that the abused tend to abuse and of repetative cycles like that. . . . I think I'm fairly aware of why my family is crazy. . . . . do you think people that "repeat the past" aren't aware that there is another way to be or they just lack the skills to choose a different path?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,610 • Replies: 5
No top replies

steissd

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 07:36 am
Well, not being a clairvoyant, I cannot give an accurate answer to your question. But if you know what were your parents' personality advantages and disadvantages, you can act in order to avoid their characteristic mistakes. If you find it difficult to put the things together, you maybe should consult a psychologist.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 07:40 am
First let me say WELCOME, midnight! How nice to meet you! Very Happy

I am not an expert, nor some sort of oracle, but my hunch is that no one HAS to repeat the things that offended or hurt them in their parents' behavior. For a start, you are aware that this could happen. Now you have a choice: what are you going to do about these aspects of yourself that concern you so much? You can learn from what you know & you can decide on a different course. But it's just not too easy, is it?
0 Replies

midnight

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 12:25 pm
msolga wrote:
First let me say WELCOME, midnight! How nice to meet you! Very Happy

I am not an expert, nor some sort of oracle, but my hunch is that no one HAS to repeat the things that offended or hurt them in their parents' behavior. For a start, you are aware that this could happen. Now you have a choice: what are you going to do about these aspects of yourself that concern you so much? You can learn from what you know & you can decide on a different course. But it's just not too easy, is it?

No its not very easy. It seems illogical that you can be miserable in a situation for a huge chunk of your life and then get out of the situation only to go on and recreate it. I kind of fear that even though I know I don't want to live that way again that I'll just kind of find myself in that situation. I'm hoping since I'm so aware of it and I'm actively seeking not to end up there that I'll do better for myself.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 07:45 pm
All the best to you, midnight, & good luck! Very Happy
0 Replies

firenskye

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 01:52 pm
I come from a long line of abuser's. I had to make the changes for myself and not repeat them with my son.
0 Replies