So Much For Homeland Security

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 12:23 pm
These guys in DC couldn't catch a cold....

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/23/national/23border.html?ei=5006&en=3aa7582390f74b26&ex=1104469200&partner=ALTAVISTA1&pagewanted=print&position=
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,071 • Replies: 16
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 12:36 pm
What does this have to do with Homeland Security?

I haven't heard of a single Mexican terrorist infiltrating our southern border.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 12:38 pm
I'm just saying if mexican illegals pass back and forth through our borders with complete ease, right out in the open, how are we supposed to keep out sneaky terrorists?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 12:40 pm
I gues if we machine gun them as they attempt to cross we might slow them down by a few thousands per year.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 12:42 pm
and one of bushs supporters could get a no bid contract to manufacture more bullets...then tithe part of that back to the candidate of bushincs choice......you may be on to something edgar.....
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 12:45 pm
I know you are not being anti Mexican, Bear. Immigration is just one of my buttons easily pushed.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 12:49 pm
The article quotes that the cost to smuggle a Mexican national across the Southern border is $2000.

People in my family have come across the Canadian border illegally for much less. And can you give me one example of a terrorist who crossed the Mexican border?

It seems like the average terrorist is in a bit of a better situation than the average Mexican migrant worker, and they surely have much cheaper and more pleasant ways to get in than stuffing people into pinata.

I don't think making the lives of the working poor more miserable is going to make us any more secure.

Tying terrorism with migrant workers is a cruel and unjustified propaganda device for people who want to repress immigrants.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 12:54 pm
jeez ebrown a little sensitive today? No ones dissing mexicans here.....I merely found it odd that with all the expense and brou ha ha over keeping America safe and how bush is the only one who can do it anyone with a pickup truck apparently can run home for Christmas after being in California illegally for a year, and after New Years run right back in....
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 02:39 pm
Yes, I am a bit sensitive about this issue.

But, that being said, if Bush, or anyone else, is truly interested in homeland security, I think they should look elsewhere. Keeping migrant workers from returning home for Christmas isn't even a significant part of the problem.

Terrorists don't take the difficult routes taken by migrant workers. They come in as students or tourists or whatever... The difference is that students and tourists and whatever have the resources and political leverage to keep the government from mistreating them (much) even in the name of the "war on terror".

Sure, migrant workers don't put up much of a fight and they are easy to pick on and rail against.

But just because they make an easy target doesn't mean they pose much of a "homeland security" threat.

I don't see a connection.

Bush should spend money on homeland security on reasonable efforts that make sense. These would include more police, more emergency workers, reasonable security measures that don't take away rights and strengthening the public health system.

I happen to think it is great that migrant workers can "apparently" spend time with their families for Christmas after working hard in California for a year, and then return to jobs they rely on to provide a barely decent living for themselves and their families.

I don't see the connection between the two.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 02:45 pm
gee ebrown I'm shocked..the connection is not between mexicans and terrorists...it's about the disconnect between an administration who elected themselves as being the only people who could keep us safe from terroist attack, scaring the **** out of everyone about terrorists getting into the country...appropriates billions of dollars, passes patriot acts, attempts to redefine the constitution, keeps the general population in a state of panic whenever necessary, commits American troops in the name of safety and security........and can't even keep a mexican in a late model pickup truck from entering and leaving the country illegally at will....there are many here that wouldn't surpirse me by missing my point...but you do....
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 05:23 pm
If it wasn't for the weakness on Illegal immigrates that the left has then we wouldn't have such a hard time know would we. I haven't seen a single instance of people from the left complaining about immigration. From the left we hear, open the borders let everyone have a chance. To hear you worry about immigration is a joke at the worst and an insult at best!

People such as myself have been complaining about ths for years, even when I lived in San Diego. Been there done that, bought the t-shirt.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 05:27 pm
I say leave things as they are, except treat these people more humanely.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 05:32 pm
US US US US [size=7]US[/size]
and
THEM THEM THEM
0 Replies

Joe Republican

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 05:36 pm
And after all we're only ordinary men
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 07:14 pm
Baldimo wrote:
If it wasn't for the weakness on Illegal immigrates that the left has then we wouldn't have such a hard time know would we. I haven't seen a single instance of people from the left complaining about immigration. From the left we hear, open the borders let everyone have a chance. To hear you worry about immigration is a joke at the worst and an insult at best!

I wonder if your family was saying that 200 years ago. Funny enough, people in my extended family just might have been (at least in hindsight they would be saying it).
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 07:34 pm
On second thought, I apologize for getting sidetracked into the continuing argument between descendants of immigrants who oppose immigration and descendants of immigrants who support it.

Let me make my point and be done with it.

As far as preventing terrorist attacks, we have two choices. We can remain an open country (with the resulting risk of living in an open country), or we can close down nation to immigrants (with the resulting cultural, economic and human costs)

Given the fact that the worst terrorist attack in the US was commited by people who came comfortably on student Visas-- and the second worst was commited by a person of European descent whose family almost certain immigrated in the past 200 years... it seems obvious reactionary response would be to close down the country to students and Europeans...

Singling out migrant Latin American workers as a special security risk, or even a significant ris doesn't make any sense.

I personally feel that closing the US to the rest of the world is a very bad idea. There are things we can do, like screening cargo containers, that would make a lot more sense.

That's all I have to say. I will leave now.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 01:28 am
Baldimo wrote:

People such as myself have been complaining about ths for years, even when I lived in San Diego. Been there done that, bought the t-shirt.

Oh Baldimo....stop being such a poser....you'll apparently get yur chance to be a big John Wayne style hero soon enough....good luck...and Merry Christmas.....
0 Replies