• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,784 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 12:34 pm
Quote:
Do you think that strong-minded people have some control over the day and hour of their going?

To some extent. I have heard many stories in my life about people who were terminally ill, but waited until their child flew in to see them, etc. before they died. I have also heard stories of people who needed to get "permission" from their loved ones, before they died.

All in all, when ya gotta go, ya gotta go. I do think though, that there is a "window" where people might have a modicum of control over their death.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 01:37 pm
Phoenix--

I think some people are more strong minded than others--of course those people could have a strong minds in bodies strong enough to take a lot of dying.

Death is such an implacable fact, I think that people try to decorate bleak inevitability with cheerful notions like "One last Christmas" or "He saw Junior launched".

I am curious about the charms of the Harvest Moon Festival for "women of mature years". Perhaps that's a holiday we should investigate?
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 01:50 pm
There was some doubt whether my aunt, dying of cancer, would live to
see her daughter's wedding. As the day drew near, it seemed she might
last until the day itself, but would not be able to go to the church for the
ceremony.

At the dinner after the wedding rehearsal, my cousin announced that we
were all going over to the chapel at Mass General. There, the chaplain
was waiting. My cousin and her fiance had changed into their wedding
finery.

My aunt was wheeled into the chapel, bed, monitors, intravenous tubing
and all. She watched her daughter get married with the wedding party
and various medical personnel in attendance.

The next day, my cousin and her husband renewed their vows in a formal
ceremony that everyone but the priest and the wedding party thought
was the wedding itself.

My aunt died about a week later.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 01:58 pm
George--

I like that story.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 02:19 pm
I think that by sheer will people are able to hold on for longer than expected. I've heard countless stories of people passing after an event they'd waited their whole life for.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 02:27 pm
My grandmother (age 99) phoned me one afternoon saying she was tired and thought she just might as well go ahead and die that night. She did. It was 2 days before her 100th. She said she didn't give a damn.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 02:59 pm
wow
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 03:14 pm
Interesting thread, Noddy. My mother didn't die so much as she quit living when she had to stay with my sister. My sister said that herself.

I have heard it mentioned that many people die around the hour of their birth, but I'm certain that may be family lore.

I do know this, that my son should have died and he didn't. The will to live is a very strong thing especially if one has a purpose for doing so.

Well, Dys, I see that your grandmother had a great sense of humor.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 03:52 pm
My grandmother-in-law summoned her lawyer and her family to her bedside, disposed of her assets and died that night.

My own grandmother died in a bit of a rage, incensed that God had not given her enough time to repent.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 05:07 pm
We all hear and repeat stories of people who hung on until a particular event. However, does anyone ever remember or note how many times people have died without being able to "hang on." When your time is up IMO it's up. Death never takes a holiday or gives a reprieve.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 05:20 pm
au1929--

Good point--although we can't all be legends.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 05:25 pm
My grandfather, separated from my grandmother, died alone in his house. When my grandmother hadn't heard from him in several weeks she became concerned and sent my dad and his brothers over to check on him.

They found him on the kitchen floor, dead now for two weeks, and half-eaten by his dogs.

True story.

You can't make that stuff up.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:54 pm
My grandfather was walking home at night through a graveyard and fell, he hit his head on a gravestone and died.

They didn't have to move him far.

True story also.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:59 pm
My story is more colorful than yours, paula. At least there was action in mine -- hungry dogs, blood-- all that exciting stuff.

Yours was kind of vanilla. Not much happening. Old man falls down and hits his head. **** like that happens all the time.

I am sorry to hear about your grandfather though. I bet he was a hell of a nice guy.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 08:08 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
My story is more colorful than yours, paula. At least there was action in mine -- hungry dogs, blood-- all that exciting stuff.

Yours was kind of vanilla. Not much happening. Old man falls down and hits his head. **** like that happens all the time.

I am sorry to hear about your grandfather though. I bet he was a hell of a nice guy.
Would you like details? It isn't as vanilla as it seems. I often hold back details, quite often.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 08:13 pm
Yeah, let's hear some of that stuff.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:10 pm
Re: Does Death Take a Holiday?
Noddy24 wrote:
Do you think that strong-minded people have some control over the day and hour of their going?

I don't think it's a matter of being strong-minded. Rather, probably more to do with the nature of the dying person's illness or condition.

I have a personal story to relate:

My mother-in-law died back in 2001. It was as a result of having a cancerous brain tumour. Her treatments went well for a while (surgery was not possible), giving her a couple of extra months of somewhat of a normal life.

When she started feeling ill again, I think she probably knew she was going to die. My wife visited her a couple of days before she died, and she said that she was going to be around for my wife's birthday, which was shortly. Sure enough, she died on the morning of the birthday. From what I was told, she could just as easily have gone a day or two earlier.

So, in this case I think it is possible for a person to hold off their death somewhat.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 06:09 am
Death is in the 24/7 business. It never takes a holiday. When your time is up, it's up.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 08:56 am
I think the term "holiday" is a bit of a misnomer. I have heard of several stories where it was expected that someone was to die earlier than they actually did. Why and how is a bit of a mystery.
0 Replies