Transferred to horrible supervisor, need advice!

lsgchas

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 05:46 pm
Hi everyone-

Let me give you a rundown of my situation, and then ask you for some advice.

I've been working at my current company for about four months (am fairly new), and was recently transferred to the worst supervisor I've ever had in my life. I was transferred because the last person who worked under this man has been moved into a position that is about to be eliminated (not that he knows it!) In the year of so since this supervisor took over, five or six people under him have either quit or been fired. I enjoyed the job before I started working under him, and the money is good, but I feel that my job is in jeopardy under him, plus the working conditions he creates are intolerable.

Why is he so bad? Well, for one, less than three weeks after I started, he played a pretty obvious game of office politics with me. He had me sign a note he'd sloppily hand-written that stated that I'd "negelected to turn in required paperwork for over two weeks, and that I promised never to do this again in my career." The paperwork in question was a busy-work checklist of my daily tasks that I was supposed to cross off each day for each of my four clients. I did do the checklist (sometimes I was so busy I didn't do them until the next day, but I did do them). I put them on his desk for the first week, but they just sat there, and I asked him if he'd looked at them. He told me no. So then, being new and a little intimidated, I wondered if I should just keep the checklists at home until he asked for them, Also, I work mostly in the field, so putting them on his desk was a little bit of a hassle anyway.

He didn't want to discuss this. Nor did he just say, "I need those checklists tommorrow. Bring them in." He simply thrust this paper in front of me. It was as if all he wanted was my signature on something incriminating. A very creepy scene, for sure. I resisted at first, but eventually I signed. I regretted it afterwards. My gut feeling is that he wants something to use as a Get Out of Trouble Free card. I've heard that he has already been scrutinized closely by our upper management and is in a little bit of trouble. Now I'm afraid he'll try to pin something on me (the lowly new guy) if his back is against the wall.

Also, this man has no respect for people's free time. He is a passive-aggressive workaholic who assigns work-loads that are not only impossible, they are unnecessary. When I first started with this company, I worked as a floating worker, working with one of the five supervisors every day of the week. Even back then, the worst day by far was with my current supervisor. I was working 50-55 hours a week then.A long day by anyone's standards. Now I'm up to 60-75 hours a week, often working from 5AM to 9PM.
Every other supervisor I had in the beginning acted as though they cared when I went home. It might not work out that I leave in time for dinner with my wife (who I'd really like to see once in awhile), I might have to work late, but it seemed that they were constantly giving me helpful tips on how to finish earlier so my day wouldn't run much over ten hours. This new supervisor told me that a fifteen hour day is what I should expect. And I should add, all the supervisors do the same thing. It's not as if my current supervisor oversees a different department. They all run similar distribution routes for a major beverage company.

Also, my current supervisor is the least competent of any of them. He frequently makes ordering and inventory mistakes that add hours to my day. He also forgets to tell me things, and I have to take time out of my day to do things that I could have done much more efficiently at an earlier time if I'd known about them.

Now, I need advice. This is what I'm doing so far- I'm keeping a written journal of problematic work situations so I won't forget them, and also as protection in case he tries to use me as a scapegoat for his failings. Also, I am planning to go to his superiors in about a month. I am only waiting because the company is having a round of layoffs after the New Year (great, huh?), and even though I am safe, I don't want to rock the boat until those are passed.

Do you think I'm doing the right thing, or do you have any other advice. Also, do you think, ethically, I need to confront him with these issues before going to his superiors? So far I haven't, at least not directly, because I know there is no way he'll change. And after he started playing dirty tricks, I don't want to have him know I'm on to him lest he ratchet it up a notch. I have complained to him, but so far, I'm mainly making it my job to go along with him as much as I can.

By the way, when I go to my superiors, I'm going to simply ask that they transfer me as soon as there is an opening under a different supervisor.

Thank you, and please help me with this work nightmare....

-Sleepless in South Carolina
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,065 • Replies: 8
No top replies

maybebaby

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 06:45 pm
Sounds to me like your new supervisor has a self-esteem issue. He/she seems to be the type that enjoys putting people down to make themselves feel better. Not the type of person you would want to work with let alone be with; they can be real class acts! I have worked these types before. It drove me nuts! Try role reversal with this person. Meaning, if they come at you in an angry disagreable way, treat them with as much kindness as possible. Remember, everyone we encounter is going through a difficult time. Some can handle it, while others cannot. These are the ones that are miserable and make everyone around them miserable too. Take the high road and do the best you can and move on with work and with life.
0 Replies

danni-lee

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 06:47 pm
im probably not the best person to throw in my two cents, so im sorry if its no good.

If I was in your situation, I would go to his superiors like you plan to. However if that failed, I would search for employment elsewhere. I think life is too short for office politics, love and life are far more important. I'm sure that you could easily find a job with better hours elsewhere.
0 Replies

lsgchas

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 09:54 pm
I do think my supervisor has a self-esteem issue. I once described him to a fellow writer (I write in my free time, not that such a thing exists right now), and my friend said my supervisor sounded very human, but with a tragic flaw. I do see what my friend means. And also, my supervisor is a middle-aged, single man, with a girlfriend who has both MS and diabetes. So, you feel _somewhat_ sympathetic toward him, but I also believe he is the sort of person who would work as many hours as allowed, JUST so he doesn't have to go home and face the stress there. I'm not like that. I'm very happily married.
I don't necessarily want him fired, although that is one possible outcome of going to my bosses. I've heard my upper management make cutting remarks about this supervisor behind his back. Also, I've heard a great deal of negative gossip about him, although none of my co-workers' feelings are as desperate as mine, which is understandable, since I'm taking the full brunt of his madness, and they aren't.
As much as I kind sort of, kind of, find his human side, I don't want to lose my job either. He was a used car salesman before he came to our company (yes, I know- what a cliche!). I'm sure he's fought some political battles in those workplaces that I could only dream about. I feel I have to be very careful.

Anyway, thanks for the responses so far. It's nice to know people are out there willing to share their support and advice.

-Ain't sleeping much tonight in S.C.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 10:42 pm
I agree with your note taking on this, and your patience to date. Am mostly posting though to give you support and to bump this thread up in line in hopes some of the people who are smarter about such situations than I am will see the question and respond..
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 11:10 pm
An ugly place to be, for sure, but you're doing the correct thing, I think. When the time is right, request a move to another department. Until then, keep counting to ten.
Good luck to you.
0 Replies

tryingmyhardest2005

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 08:57 am
I sympathise with your situation - have you anything in writing clearly stating your work duties - Do you have supervision meetings with human resourses if you do this would be the perfect opportunity to disclose his mistreatment of you if you don't maybe you need to request a meeting Good luck with it all Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

tryingmyhardest2005

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 08:58 am
I sympathise with your situation - have you anything in writing clearly stating your work duties - Do you have supervision meetings with human resourses if you do this would be the perfect opportunity to disclose his mistreatment of you if you don't maybe you need to request a meeting Good luck with it all
0 Replies

Juliet

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 12:07 am
It sounds familiar. My co-worker had the same experience before - for signing the paper. Her rotten boss also wanted her to sign some paper just like yours but she stand firm. She refused to sign it because she didn't think it was her fault. If she signed it, that means she admitted it and it will be put in her file as an excuse later to fire/lay-off her. You shouldn't have done that. Because it turned out the rotten manager left the company before her. And she's glad she didn't do it.

I really hate politics in workplace. I quess you just can't avoid it. Those people have no life, but you do! You should live well, enjoy your life while you can. (Because life is short.)

Going to upper management or HR may be bad idea too if they are all in the same boat (or birds of a feather.). I don't know if your company is like that or not. If so, you will be the first one to be thrown overboard. They will definitely drown you first. So, it really depends on the situation what action you need to take.

How are you doing now? Are you still in that boat? Or you already started a new life?
0 Replies