need help translating a latin passage

dgravon

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2017 10:43 am
Hello! I still quite new to Latin, but I'm trying to get on with some of my own translations. I'm translating two passages from an old map of Iceland, and was hoping someone might be able to check it for me! Passage with translation below. Thanks in advance! D

Thule insula, quam Islandiam, a frigoribus que ibi acutisima sunt appellari volunt, continuis enim octo mensibus ita glacic infestatur, vt velicicationem nullam admittat. Piscibus adundat, quibus panis loco plerunque vtuntur. Frumentum nec vinum habet nisi aduectitia, que piscibus permutant. Sulphuris ac butyri notabilis abundantia. Pascua leta. Jurisdictio ad Noruegie regem spectat.

They wish for Thule island, a cold region in which it is most severe, to be called Iceland, because it is so troubled with continuous ice for eight months that it does not permit sailing. It is rich with fish, which they use most in place in bread. It has neither grain nor wine, but ______, which they exchange with fish. There is a notable abundance of sulphur and butter. It is lush with pasture. It looks to the Jurisdiction of the Kingdom of Norway.

Sunt qui dicant Islandia populum adeo pulsandis fidibus peritum, vt pisces ac aues cantus dulcedine alliciat quibus vix adducor vt credam; cum quantum ego intellexi, barbarum sit hominum genus, nulli studio deditum, quam capiendis piscibus, quorum tam igens magnitudo ut ex ossibus eorum tuguria extruat, ac nautae dum anchoras dorsis eorum (insulas existimantes) infigunt, sepius periclitentur. Glacies in littore miserabilem humane vocis gemitum edit, ita vt vulgas ibi animas tormentari putet ventusque guibusolum in locis tam validus, ut armatum etiam equo deijciat.

There are people who say that the people of Iceland are so skilled in playing lyres that it lures fish and singing fouls with sweet taste, which I am hardly persuaded to believe. With as much as I understood, it was an uncivilized race of men, devoted to no pursuit than the capturing of fish, which were so great in size that a hut could be built with their bones and very often sailors attempt to fastened anchors to their backs (thinking they were islands). Ice on the shore makes a miserable groan in the manner of a human voice, thus the common people consider tormented souls to be in this place, and some winds in the region are so strong that an armed man can also be thrown from a horse.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,375 • Replies: 0
No top replies