The 2004 Oscar Race--give us your opinion

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 10:32 am
A notable entry on the Short Documentary nominee list is "Sister Rose's Passion," the only passion with an opportunity for best picture in a category. It contains an indictment of Mel Gibson's film and his fundamentalism and considering Gibsons decision to rerelease the film in a "Director's Cut" with toned-down violence and gore, it's the other side of the coin regarding any anti-Semitism in his film.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 10:56 am
Lightwizard I can't quite figure out what you wrote about the Academy actors voting for the actor Oscars.

The Academy allows all members to nominate and vote for the acting Oscar winners. I believe this is why the results are not quite the same each year between the SAGS and the OSCARS (....because there is a mix of Oscar votes with all branches voting)
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 11:26 am
"Sister Rose's Passion" director Oren Jacoby has a very interesting producing background. He has produced films about the Beatles, Benny Goodman, Sam Shepard and Shakespeare. This is his first Academy Award nomination as most of his previous work has been in television. This short documentary film's producer-Steve Kalafer-has been nominated for three Academy Awards in the past.

Will "Sister Rose" win? That's a tough call considering the subject matter.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 11:36 am
I keep forgeting every year that the nominations were voted on by those in that category excepting the major categories.. The entire voting body voting on the final winner.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 11:44 am
(Although I think they should change that to everything but the Best Picture -- seems more reasonable).
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 11:44 am
Lightwizard:

You know I thought only the actors could nominate persons in the acting Oscar category too. I checked the Academy's rules (they have special rules for the acting category) and it stated that all Academy members could nominate in this category from the list of eligible films. I am still shaking my head...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 11:46 am
Criss-crossing posts -- I corrected my post. I don't believe that's a fair way to come up with nominations and a at least reasonable viable winner. How would a lighting technician know better than other actors what a great performance is. That brings it into the realm of the People's Award.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 11:57 am
Wizard:
You know the Academy rules have changed over the years and I am not really clear on who nominates in all the categories. I know there used to be restrictions. Someday I will read through all the voting rules.....right...

The People's Awards....that's too funny Mr. Wizard.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 12:02 pm
I read through the rules years ago but lost interest -- don't get me wrong, I'll watch the awards as a "case-in-point," realizing their limitations. They can come somewhat close to what the most respected film critics and historians arrive at but sometimes they are woefully off-base, especially in the nominations. The curious thing is that from experience with moviemakers, most of them think the Oscars are flawed just as much as we do.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 12:24 pm
Lightwizard:

Living in New York I have an east coast sensibility and I believe you living on the west gives you yours.

I think over the years the Academy has done pretty well considering how creative types are... one moment they are in a crisis and the next they are "cookin".

I have raised my eyebrow a few times over the Academy's choices with the most recent one leaving Paul Giamatti ("Sideways") out for the best actor nomination. But life goes on and the cream does eventually rise to the top...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 01:58 pm
Many of my friends over the nears are New Yorkers transplanted, a number of them to Hollywood because they got into the business. They also pick communities like Laguna Beach which is the cultural center of the OC even though as an "art colony," that's mainly because of annual festivals that are primarilly showcases for traditional decorative art. There are several serious galleries in the town, however. The news that the Pacific Symphony is getting its own hall is encouraging (one of my oldest friends is an investor in the center).

I'm looking for more from Paul Giamatti even with the overlook at this years' awards. He was excellent in "Crumb" and other indepedents and I hope he sticks with independents and doesn't end up in some lame action film or, worse yet, in a TV sit-com (although he would be funny). I hope he's too smart for that. It wouldn't be too bad if a door opened for a series at HBO.

Many times someone wins because the two of the other top contenders divide up votes and there are unexpected results. This could happen in almost all the major categories this year. I still don't see Jamie Fox as a shoe-in for either nomination.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 11:17 am
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 02:16 pm
It will be interesting to see the Oscar results and how they compare with the BAFTA's. Each year the British seem to be honoring American film to a higher degree than in the past.

The international casting of actors from more than one country has helped unify film awards in the UK and USA with such films as "Closer", "Finding Neverland", "Aviator" and "Eternal Sunshine".

The Oscar ballots are due in Tues., Feb. 22.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 02:39 pm
Thanks for posting the BAFTA results, LW. It's interesting to see who won there.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 09:00 am
The Writer's Guild of American has given their screenwriting awards to "Sideways" for an adaptation and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" for original screenplay.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 10:33 am
The Writer's Guild of America got it right.

"Sideways" and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" were the best.

Alexander Payne (Sideways) deserves any and all recognition for this outstanding film and script.

That Charlie Kaufman (Sunshine) marches to a different drummer and I hope he never stops.
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 03:04 pm
I just read an article posted on twitchfilm.com which makes a case for the awarding an oscar for best stuntman. It makes sense to me, they can make or break a film and they should get some recognition for risking their lives for our entertainment
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 04:02 pm
Thiefoflight:

I agree that persons who have given major contributions in making a film should be acknowledged.

The specific organizations that represent various film talent (in front and behind the cameras) do a decent job of acknowledgement such as the DGA, SAG & WGA by the way of handing out awards.

I get slightly annoyed when people say why does the Academy have to spend time on all those technical (or similar) awards. Likewise when a Oscar winner is thanking others who have worked on a film, people get impatient. Pretty intolerant considering the Academy Awards show is only 3-4 hours a year as compared to how many hours people actually sit and view films per year.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 10:37 am
I understand that several of the technical awards may be brought to the winners in their seats? Not sure how that will work but we'll soon see.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 11:15 am
Recent buzz reports that "Million Dollar Baby" could take the gold over "Aviator". The momentum seems to be favoring "Baby" as of this writing. Eastwood winning the DGA directing award has helped propel this movement.

I am still holding out for "Aviator" to win either best picture and/or best director. It will be a shame if it only gets a couple of technical or similar awards. It looks good for Blanchett in the supporting category.
0 Replies