The 2004 Oscar Race--give us your opinion

couzz

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 09:37 pm
I just saw "The Phantom of the Opera" and director Joel Schumacher has brought the play to the screen and the outcome is a play not a film.

There is very little cinematic excitement in "Phantom". Three years ago Baz Luhrmann generated a lot of energy in his film "Moulin Rouge" but unfortunately director Schumacher did not have the talent to turn "Phantom" into a tantalizing heart-stirring film.

Scottish actor Gerard Butler does a passable job as the Phantom but he is too handsome and virile for the role. Emmy Rossum has a beautiful voice and a screen image to match but director Schumacher has her showing very little emotion in the role of Christine.

Because the Phantom is more attractive than Christine's boyfriend Raoul (played by Patrick Wilson), it hard to see why she has any interest in Raoul in this version.

Costume designer Alexandra Byrne did an outstanding job with the film's wardrobe and it may be the best thing about the film. (She also did the costumes for "Finding Neverland".)

So, if you are a diehard fan of the play and music, you will probably not be disappointed. If you are a movie lover and want more than a limited play format, pass on this one.

I can make this prediction, "The Phantom of the Opera" will not win the Academy Award for best film. Look for Alexandra Byrne to be nominated by the Academy for her costume designs.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 01:45 pm
Thanks for that review -- although I can see the advantage of seeing it on the big screen (I would take a trip to the Century THX Cinemas near Disneyland if I were to see it), it looks to me like a candidate for a NetFlix rental next year!

"Sideways" is another story, although it will not suffer in the least on the small screen. I became as involved with the story and characters as I did with "Laurel Canyon" or "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind." It's what a comedy should be like, engaging of one's emotions and funny at the same time. Puck would have loved it.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 10:09 pm
Producers Guild selects best film nominees for 2004
1/5/05

The guild honors are a solid predictor for the top Academy Awards winner. Past victors have gone on to win the best-picture Oscar.

The Producers Guild five film nominees are:

THE AVIATOR
FINDING NEVERLAND
THE INCREDIBLES* (See below)
MILLION DOLLAR BABY
SIDEWAYS

"The Incredibles," the latest cartoon from Pixar Animation, faces an Oscar showdown with "Shrek 2" for best animated picture.

The 16th annual awards by the guild, which represents Hollywood producers, will be presented January 22. The Academy nominations will be announced three days later on Jan 25.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 10:59 pm
With no hint of sentimentality, "Finding Neverland" didn't fail to bring a tear to my eye. Depp and Winslet were believeable as the characters and the children were astonishing.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 11:12 pm
Lightwizard:

It's getting very close to the five best films nominees for 2004. Eliminating "The Incredibles" (because it will be in the animated category), what film (or possibilities) do you believe will round out the top five if we use the four other films nominated by the Producers Guild?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 08:57 am
"The Aviator"
"Finding Neverland"
"Sideways"
"Kinsey"
"Million Dollar Baby"
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 08:58 am
"The Aviator" will win, partly for a career Oscar.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 10:36 am
I more or less agree that AVIATOR will take the gold. I know SIDEWAYS is creating a stir and because I have not seen it yet, it is difficult for me to evaluate it's chances first hand.

I think this will be Scorsese's year for the directing award so that will definitely benefit AVIATOR. Even though it is not a great film it is probably the best domestic film of 2004. Distributed by Warner Bros. and produced by same and Miramax it has the some power behind it. Although Miramax is going through changes, it would be foolish to under estimate the Weinstein brothers.

The multi-talented Alexander Payne, the writer and director of SIDEWAYS, has had a good record so far with "About Schmidt" (2002) and "Election" (1999). He definitely has a vision of his own and with 20th Century Fox behind SIDEWAYS, it has a shot. It's getting a lot of press but on the other hand it is a comedy...it's very tough for a comedy to take the best picture Oscar.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 11:45 am
I would personally put "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" in place of "Kinsey," but I think they will nominate that film somewhat as a backlash for Washington's head-in-the-sand concept of morality. "Eternal Sunshine" could win a nomination in a toss-up.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 11:46 am
(Hard to say in Winslet will get nominated for "Finding Neverland" or "Eternal Sunshine!")
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 12:01 pm
I think this is an impressive year for Kate Winslet. She has worked hard and it is paying off.

Kate's opening speech on the bus (with Jim Carrey) in SUNSHINE was remarkable not only Charlie Kaufman's written words but her delivery of the dialogue.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 12:22 pm
"Hotel Rwanda" I'm sure is at the top of the list and even "Spiderman II" has a chance (at last a superhero movie where one can get involved with the characters). I have forgotten if the nominations are voted on by just producers or the entire voting body. I know the choice from the five is the entire voting body.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 11:22 pm
Scorsese, Eastwood among DGA nominees

Award often predictor of Oscar success

Thursday, January 6, 2005 Posted: 4:09 PM EST

EXCERPT
LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Martin Scorsese, shut out five times previously for the top prize from his filmmaking peers, has earned another shot at the Directors Guild of America Awards.

Scorsese earned a nomination Thursday for the guild's best-director honor for his sprawling epic "The Aviator," a film biography starring Leonardo DiCaprio as aviation pioneer and Hollywood rebel Howard Hughes.

Also nominated was Clint Eastwood for his boxing drama "Million Dollar Baby"; Marc Forster for "Finding Neverland," a whimsical look at the inspirations behind J.M. Barrie's "Peter Pan"; Taylor Hackford for the Ray Charles film biography "Ray"; and Alexander Payne for the quirky road-trip flick "Sideways."

The winner will be announced at the guild's 57th annual dinner January 29, one of Hollywood's warmups for the Academy Awards on February 27.

The guild honors have a good track record at predicting who will go home with the best-director Academy Award. Only six times since 1949 has the guild recipient failed to go on to win the Oscar.

Scorsese generally has been viewed as the front-runner to win both the guild prize and the best-directing Oscar. He has been nominated five times before by the guild and four times by academy voters, but he has never won either honor.

For complete article go to:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/06/film.directors.guild.ap/index.html
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 11:43 pm
Lightwizard:

ACADEMY RULES FOR THE BEST PICTURE OF THE YEAR AWARD

A list of all eligible pictures shall be sent with a nominations ballot to all active and life members of the Academy who shall vote in the order of their preference for not more than five productions.
The five pictures receiving the highest number of votes shall become the nominations for final voting for the Best Picture Award.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 08:43 am
"Ray" is likely another contender as films about entertainers are popular among Academy voters. The toughest race this year looks like it will actually be best actor.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 12:31 am
The 77th Academy Awards--Supporting Actress

Many of critics shy away from predicting who will win in the supporting acting roles. If you are in an office Oscar race, what separates the winner from the losers is generally the supporting roles.

These performers have to make an impact with limited screen time and this year some of the ladies have really come into the spotlight.

Cloris Leachman ("Spanglish") gives the perfect supporting performance as the light hearted heavy drinking mother/grandmother. She is the film's touchstone and Cloris makes it look so easy. There are just no wrong notes here. I will keep my fingers crossed for her.

Sparks were flying off Natalie Portman in "Closer"
This intense performance with restrained emotion had more impact than Julia Robert's performance.

Cate Blanchett ("The Aviator") does a decent job as Kate Hepburn...but can anyone really do Kate?
I don't think it's possible to capture Kate's incredible acting persona and personality. According to the critics, Cate is a front runner for the nomination.

Kate Winslet is having a high exposure year with her performances in "Finding Neverland" and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". Her poignant performance as the widowed mother in "Neverland" makes her eligible in the supporting category.

Laura Linney ("Kinsey") has created attention with her touching portrayal as Kinsey's wife. Linney's thoughtful personal acting style is like no other actress working today. She is considered a front runner.

Virginia Madsen's comeback as the waitress in "Sideways" has praise from New York and Los Angeles critics groups. On 1/10/05 she received the Critics' Choice Award for best supporting actress.

Meryl Streep's portrayal as the immoral senator in "Manchurian Candidate" has a Golden Globe nomination. I thought her performance did not match Angela Lansbury's in the 1962 version of "Candidate" but Meryl has the respect of her peers.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 07:04 pm
I thought I remember that Best Picture is always voted into nomination by all but wasn't sure. I think Kate could easily win, although Madsen's performance is extraordinary and especially considering she's never really been lucky enough to land such a part. But that's usually how it works.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 09:22 pm
1/10/05
Broadcast Critics' Choice Awards

Results in the top six categories:

Best picture: "Sideways"
Director: Martin Scorsese ("The Aviator")
Actor: Jamie Foxx ("Ray")
Actress: Hilary Swank ("Million Dollar Baby")
Supporting Actor: Thomas Haden Church ("Sideways")
Supporting Actress: Virginia Madsen ("Sideways")

Critics' Choice Award winners are often echoed at the Academy Awards.

For complete list of awards go to:
www.bfca.org
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 12:53 am
Could "Sideways" upset Scorcese's shot at a best picture Osar (finally?) As good as the film is -- it shows the essential spirit of humanity in realistic terms (okay, Pinot Noir enhanced, but isn't that life?) and genuine in bringing a tear to my eye, I think they will still give it to Scorcese. At least best director but I have a feeling also best picture.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 11:41 am
I was thinking the same thing...the Academy will probably give best picture to "The Aviator".

On the other hand as the years progress, the Academy members get younger and the older members--who like those big all encompassing films--are going to the big studio in the sky.

Let me say this, I would not be surprised if "Sideways" won.
0 Replies