The 2004 Oscar Race--give us your opinion

couzz

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 04:05 pm
With most of the film contenders being launched near the end of the year and the Academy Awards coming up on February 27, 2005, things are moving into high gear.

Overall 2004 has not produced a strong number of critically acclaimed films but there are some intriguing prospects that will make Oscar night more unpredictable than last year.

The following FILMS are potential contenders with many already nominated by other film organizations:

(In alphabetical order)

A VERY LONG ENGAGEMENT
THE AVIATOR
BAD EDUCATION
COLLATERAL
CLOSER
ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND
FAHRENHEIT 9/11
FINDING NEVERLAND
FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS
HOTEL RWANDA
HOUSE OF THE FLYING DAGGERS
THE INCREDIBLES
KINSEY
MARIA FULL OF GRACE
MILLION DOLLAR BABY
THE MOTOR CYCLE DIARIES
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
RAY
THE SEA INSIDE
SIDEWAYS
SPIDER-MAN 2
VERA DRAKE

As of this writing the film that has the buzz is Martin Scorsese's "The Aviator" with "Sideways" coming on strong.

ACTORS:
Friends have told me Jamie Foxx's performance in "Ray" is Oscar worthy because he captured Rays' mannerisms plus the light and dark sides of his life seamlessly. I have seen Liam Neeson's performance in "Kinsey" which was effective and contained Neeson's laid back charm. Other front runners: Leonardo DeCaprio ("The Aviator"), Johnnie Depp ("Finding Neverland"), Paul Giamatti ("Sideways), Javier Bardem ("The Sea Inside") and Don Cheadle ("Hotel Rwanda")

ACTRESSES:
With the women it looks as though it will be a duel between Hilary Swank ("Million Dollar Baby") and Annette Bening ("Being Julia") again as it was five years back. Other actresses being nominated and written about are: Uma Thurman ("Kill Bill: Volume 2"), Nicole Kidman ("Birth"), Imelda Staunton ("Vera Drake"), Catalina Sandino Moreno ("Marie Full of Grace"). Kate Winslet ("Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"), Emmy Rossum ("The Phantom of the Opera") and Paz Vega ("Spanglish").

DIRECTOR:
It appears this may be Martin Scorsese's year to receive the Oscar for his direction of the Howard Hughes biopic "The Aviator". It is long overdue considering his body of work. Others: Clint Eastwood ("Million Dollar Baby"), Marc Forster ("Finding Neverland"), Mike Nichols ("Closer"), Alexander Payne ("Sideways") Taylor Hackford ("Ray") and Joel Schumacher ("The Phanton of the Opera").
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,130 • Replies: 113
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 02:18 pm
I am going to the cineplex for "Sideways," "Million Dollar Baby" and "The Aviator." Maybe not depending on what the critics say, if one is going to see "The Phantom of the Opera," I'd say seeing it on the big screen is a must.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 02:21 pm
"Hotel Rwanda," also looks like it will garner some nominations and having seen "Finding Neverland," Johnny Depp could easily gain a nomination.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 11:01 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Maybe not depending on what the critics say, if one is going to see "The Phantom of the Opera," I'd say seeing it on the big screen is a must.
- try not to spend any of your own $ on it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 05:45 pm
Then film has a limited release and is still getting mixed reviews although Ebert ***ed it. It appears from the reviews are read that the dissenters are Andrew Lloyd Webber or even musical haters in the first place so I'm taking it with a grain of salt. It did get Golden Globe nominations so, as usual, the musical on the screen involves more bias than any other kind of movie with critics.

A.O. Scott of the NYT thought the film was too baroque, as if it didn't demand this kind of treatment. He probably would have hated it worse if Schumacher had followed Gibson and cranked up the gore. The chandelier scene could be bloody indeed.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 12:49 pm
NOTES ON "The Phantom of the Opera"

Although I have not seen "Phantom" yet, I am looking forward to seeing it very soon.

The following is an excerpt from a review of the "Phantom" by James Berardinelli (ReelViews):

"There's nothing special about director Joel Schumacher's approach; he presents the material in a mostly straightforward manner. He offers one tremendous visual image, when the chandelier is raised and the Opera House returns to its splendor of 1870 (the movie is bookended with unnecessary scenes in the 1910s). Beyond that, Schumacher does little more than highlight the singers, dancers, costumes and set design. One could argue that, for a movie like that, his approach is the correct one."
End of excerpt.

The following was on the CNN website 12/27/04:

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Golden Globe nominee Emmy Rossum picked the opera house over the classroom and hasn't looked back.

At 12, she had to choose between spending less time at New York's Metropolitan Opera, where she had been singing in the children's chorus, and severing ties at the upscale, all-girl Spence School. Her decision appears to have paid off.

Rossum, 18, has been receiving rave reviews for her work in the film version of Andrew Lloyd Webber's "The Phantom of the Opera."

Rossum's portrays Christine, a young soprano at the Paris Opera who becomes caught up in the teaching and music of the mysterious phantom. The National Board of Review called her portrayal the best breakthrough performance by an actress this year.

The Broadcast Film Critics Association also gave her a critics' choice award and she'll be in the running next month for a Golden Globe for best actress in a musical or comedy.

"I'm heavy on preparation," Rossum recently told the Los Angeles Times. "Some actors come to the set and don't know what scene they're playing, but that would make me crazy. It's not about control but perfectionism -- my biggest vice and one of my biggest assets."

Rossum previously starred in the critically acclaimed "Mystic River" and the global-warming disaster film "The Day After Tomorrow."
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 01:31 pm
Saw The Aviator last night...the sets, special effects,cinematography and costumes were excellent. Leonardo did a fine job but I don't think it will garner an Oscar
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 04:54 pm
The buzz in Variety is that it's the top contender for the prize. "Sideways" may be too small a film and the only serious competition in epics looks like "Hotel Rwanda," "Alexander" getting a critical response almost as bad as "Howard the Duck" and the year's big box office flop. A far as "Phantom" goes, only Webber fans are fond of the entire score. It doesn't, for me, hold up on its own. Try and listen to the entire CD. With visuals and in the hands of a talented director like Schumacher (well, his most successful film IMHO is "Tigerland"), it could make up for it all with spectacle in the set design and costuming. The interesting factor may be where Gibson's "Passion" fits in here. It could get a nod for cinematography which was the high point of the film despite the perchance for horror film spooky darkness.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 01:16 pm
I saw "The Aviator" last night as well. Scorsese definitely has a directing personality of his own. He brought that Scorsese tension to key scenes when needed.

Leonardo DiCaprio's performance improves as the film moves on and his later scenes are some of his best work. Leonardo has become a mature male in this performance and look for his acting nomination from the Academy on Tues., 1/25/05.

Alan Alda stands out as Senator Brewster. His performance is charmingly mean spirited and good enough for a possible supporting actor nomination. Blanchett is acceptable as Kate Hepburn but Beckinsale was too petite and not sensual enough to be Ava Gardner the Goddess.

Cinematographer Robt. Richardson performs well in the crash sequence and other airplane scenes plus his lighting is creative in many of the interior shots. Overall his work gives the film it's elegant look.

The 1930-1947 story line was muddled at times and out of sequence with some subjects included that took place after 1947.

"The Aviator" is one of the best films of the year and will be in the top five "best picture" Academy nominations. Will it win? I cannot predict at this point until I view a few more films released late in the year.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 01:41 pm
agreed on all points...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 06:20 pm
Going to see "The Aviator" and "Sideways" this week.
0 Replies

Johnny Fontane

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 02:01 am
My opinion is that the oscars are bullshit
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 09:34 am
All award ceremonies are...and self serving is an understatement
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 09:47 am
I don't think the Oscars are bullshit -- sometimes they are right about their winners, sometimes they are wrong -- it's the opinion of one voting body that usually doesn't coincide with public opinion like the People's Award. Perhaps each of our individual opinions about who the winners should be is bullshit. Certainly holds up in the many of the picks coming onto these boards.

Welcome to A2K, Johnny Fontane -- what are your picks?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 09:50 am
As far as using awards to go see movies, I'd certainly refer to the big three -- the Oscars, AFI and BFI. AFI and I believe BFI also includes film critics and historians in their voting body.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 09:57 am
Here's the critics and AFI's years selection of best films:

Los Angeles Film Critics Association

Best Film: Sideways
Best Actor: Liam Neeson, Kinsey
Best Actress: Imedla Staunton, Vera Drake
Best Supporting Actor: Thomas Haden Church, Sideways
Best Supporting Actress: Virginia Madsen, Sideways
Best Director: Alexander Payne, Sideways
Best Screenplay: Sideways, Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor

New York Film Critics Online

Best Film: Sideways
Best Actor: Jamie Foxx, Ray
Best Actress: Imedla Staunton, Vera Drake
Best Supporting Actor: Thomas Haden Church, Sideways
Best Supporting Actress: Virginia Madsen, Sideways
Best Director: Martin Scorsese, The Aviator
Best Screenplay: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Charlie Kaufman

AFI'S Top 10 Films of 2004

The Aviator
Collateral
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Friday Night Lights
The Incredibles
Kinsey
Maria Full of Grace
Million Dollar Baby
Sideways
Spider-Man 2
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 06:51 pm
The Academy Awards

Acknowledgement for creative work done is much needed in this country because most of our creative workers (all mediums) are under paid and or ignored.

Even though some actors, producers and composers make millions and maintain a high profile over a lifetime many of the other contributors such as writers, cinematographers, editors, costumers, art directors, special effects experts and set designers would have very little acknowledgement if it were not for the Academy Awards.

Being voted the best by your peers is something you never forget.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 07:12 pm
I sort of agree with Johnny Fontane, even though I like to hear people's predictions and opinions about the films.

I don't think it's possible to pick the *best* in these categories. The roles and subject matter are so diverse. I think it amounts to a popularity contest. And, the "hey, this may be his last movie, lets give the old coot an Oscar for his body of work" is a disgusting practice that really pulls the rug out from under the whole idea.

That said--I still like to hear people's commiserations...
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 07:38 pm
Hey. that's what A2K is here for...opinions...

I like to read what other people think about specific films....it's impossible to view all of them so getting opinions along the way is a big help.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 10:04 pm
Although "career Oscars" for a performance that is debatable as the best of that year happens, it's not the norm. This isn't a matter of all the voters conferring and rigging the vote. There's not even much time given to send in the ballots. I agree with couzz that it has nothing to do with what we personally like or dislike -- it's a vote of the artist's peers in the industry, plain and simple. You don't like it, don't watch it. I'm not sure I'm going to go to one of the Oscar parties that crop up each year but they are fun. The one in Fashion Island, Newport Beach, however, is rather ridiculous. Everyone dresses like they are going to the Oscars. Well, duh -- that's what's expected from the rich conservatives in this area. A sea of plastic people is not my cup-of-tea.

The People's Award are more of a popularity contest -- it's too often a blockbuster movie that wins best picture. However, the year "Titanic" won the Oscar, the People's Award went to the same film. Hmmm.

Saw "Sideways" today -- a really great film experience. Seldom does one see such in-depth charaterizations and it's intelligently funny, not the usual silly humor one is used to seeing.
0 Replies