Tax Cut for the middle class....

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 03:06 pm
So we all know that our country is slowly recovering form a recession with limited job growth and a slight improving stock market....

My question is this, why not implement some type of policy that would provide tax cuts for the middle class, the vast majority of our nation, to initially spark the economy? Would this accomplish anything?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 572 • Replies: 10
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 03:20 pm
I'm all in favor of tax cuts for the middle class, but I think we are beyond the point where tax cuts could do much -- especially without also cutting spending.
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 03:25 pm
Economic growth needs to come from businesses - cut corporate tax or eliminate it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 03:31 pm
Quote:

Economic growth needs to come from businesses - cut corporate tax or eliminate it.

Are you kidding?!?!?

One of the major reasons we're IN such a depression is that 90% of the Fortune 100 companies don't pay ANY taxes. The revenue stream lost to the gov't is immense due to tax loopholes...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 03:33 pm
Yikes tax cuts!

In California they are closing county libraries because the voters will not vote to pay any more taxes. The streets are full of pot holes because of cuts in funding to CalTrans. The budget is outta control not even the Govenator cannot get stuff done without paying for it.

I say paying taxes is good for the public. Of course that does not include the middle class in CA where the average home costs $300,000 and in San Diego specifically the price of an average home is $500,000.

The above of course is only my opinion and I am sure there are many others like me. But then I was not here to vote no on Prop. 13, so who am I to complain.
0 Replies

bernstud

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 04:57 pm
I have to write a paper on this....how could I go about telling the president to get this policy of cutting taxes for the middle class to pass through congress....
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 05:10 pm
$500K Joanne? That's cheap. 3BR clunkers are going for $700K on my block. I don't know what people are thinking. I make over six figures and cannot afford to buy a home. Of course, the goverment thinks I'm rich, though I'm really just getting along.

I was and continue to be most appreciative of the tax breaks Bush has provided. In turn I helped pump up the economy by spending some of the money on things I needed.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 05:10 pm
Check with Grover Nordquist. He's all for tax cuts and has the President's ear.

That is, if you want some sort of argument that more tax cuts will help the country...
0 Replies

bernstud

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 05:52 pm
hrmmm...never heard of him....thanks though
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 06:01 pm
JoanneDorel wrote:
But then I was not here to vote no on Prop. 13, so who am I to complain.

Thank God you weren't. Prop 13 is the best thing that ever happened
to CA.

More taxes don't do the trick - spending above limits and missmanagment have contributed to the deficit (not only in CA).

I wouldn't provide tax cuts for the middle class, however, I wouldn't
increase taxes either. A conservative budget and frugal spending
procedures should get us where we need to be.
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 02:39 pm
Quote:
Yikes tax cuts!

In California they are closing county libraries

Have you taken a look at the California budget? It's insane the things the government is spending money on - $2790 per person living in the state. LinkWhen there is a budget crunch, the legislators need to cut out the pork instead of crying for more money. They should be spending our money like they would spend their own - not as if it's free money.
0 Replies