Question on the perfection of God

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 07:27 am
Perfection entails being free from everything, if God is Perfect how then can he be compassionate? As I know being compassionate is sign of imperfection where in you are not capable to tolerate the suffering of others.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,705 • Replies: 62
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 06:10 am
Re: Question on the perfection of God
neolouphis wrote:
Perfection entails being free from everything

Does it? Then a perfect definition of perfection would be free of meaning. Excuse my sophistry.

Um. I'd say that your question relies entirely on your intial statement being correct, it seems to me perfection is subjective making it a difficult statement to prove.
0 Replies

Thalion

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 07:39 am
I find your assertion that compassion is weakness rather dubious as well...
0 Replies

ForeverYoung

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 07:43 am
I find your presumption that there is a God problematic, too.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 12:00 pm
Our definition of perfection may not exactly explain God. He [is] God. He can do whatever he wants. He can define perfection, if he pleases. I believe that he is free from error, and having compassion on us undeserving humans is obviously not an error to him...thank God Smile
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 11:21 am
Only one thing can come of trying to explain god through human experience. Comedy Smile
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 02:51 pm
Could not seeing the suffering of others as intolerable be strength to know what's right and to know everything? He is God after all, so how can you say that what he feels is weakness and imperfect when he created you and his laws are the government of the universe?

Also, freedom from everything = nothing.

Maybe god is everything?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 04:03 pm
Hey Ray, if he created me then he bears responsibility for my actions. I'm gonna whip that defence out during my heaven/hell trial.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 06:30 pm
Quote:
Hey Ray, if he created me then he bears responsibility for my actions. I'm gonna whip that defence out during my heaven/hell trial.

Laughing there's no point really, 'cause whatever he does goes; he is god right?

If he made us to be autonomous and responsible for our own action, then... actually there's no point in arguing anything else, but that you are responsible for your actions since that's what he made you to be.....

Whatever man, in whatever way God works, if he does truly exist, it certainly is confusing to us. We don't know.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 11:41 am
Yeah, it's called free choice.

I think that it is more accurate to say that he is more likely everything, than nothing. For something to have absolute power is hard for us to understand. Our brains don't comprehend eternity and infinity because we can't see it in front of us, and we are creatures of sight. When people joke about going to hell...it's kind of scary, if you really think about how long eternity is.
0 Replies

inner peace

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 06:48 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
Only one thing can come of trying to explain god through human experience. Comedy Smile

exactly... mainly because there is no god Shocked
0 Replies

inner peace

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 06:50 pm
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Our definition of perfection may not exactly explain God. He [is] God. He can do whatever he wants. He can define perfection, if he pleases. I believe that he is free from error, and having compassion on us undeserving humans is obviously not an error to him...thank God Smile

If god can do anything he wants... would it be possible for him to microwave a hotpocket so hot that he himself could not eat it ? ( Homer Simpson is a genius Laughing )
0 Replies

inner peace

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 06:56 pm
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Yeah, it's called free choice.

I think that it is more accurate to say that he is more likely everything, than nothing. For something to have absolute power is hard for us to understand. Our brains don't comprehend eternity and infinity because we can't see it in front of us, and we are creatures of sight. When people joke about going to hell...it's kind of scary, if you really think about how long eternity is.

Wow there is another big problem with the christian religion..... everyone is soo scared to go to hell they'll convert just to avoid this horrible place! It's a religion of fear and guilt!
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 07:18 pm
Isn't that a bit like the blind man touching the elephants leg and declaring it to be a tree? I have yet to meet a Christian whos motivation is fear.
0 Replies

inner peace

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 07:29 pm
Idaho wrote:
Isn't that a bit like the blind man touching the elephants leg and declaring it to be a tree? I have yet to meet a Christian whos motivation is fear.

I am aware of many conversions that took place because of the fear of going to hell... Also I often hear at my school kids saying things like.. at least I'm not going to hell. It seems like their entire belief is just based on the fact that they aren't going to hell
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 04:11 am
I wouldn't go so far as to say there is no god. No proof or no disproof. I will however say that god is nothing like what christianity says. That is just a distorted dictatorimage to enslave weak minds. Christianity is devilworship.
0 Replies

Derevon

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 08:44 am
inner-peace wrote:
Idaho wrote:

I am aware of many conversions that took place because of the fear of going to hell... Also I often hear at my school kids saying things like.. at least I'm not going to hell. It seems like their entire belief is just based on the fact that they aren't going to hell

Fear of going to hell is certainly not the prime motive for most Christians; anyone who thinks so is seriously mistaken. Nonetheless, respecting God's commandments out of fear surely is a lot better than ignoring them. A person who fears God humbles himself and does not rebel against him.

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom".
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:11 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't go so far as to say there is no god. No proof or no disproof. I will however say that god is nothing like what christianity says. That is just a distorted dictatorimage to enslave weak minds. Christianity is devilworship.

Interesting that you would say "no proof or no disproof" and follow up with Christianity is for weak-minded devil worship.

i-p wrote:
Quote:
I am aware of many conversions that took place because of the fear of going to hell

That would be a very immature view of Christian faith. There is a huge difference between fear of hell and belief in salvation.
0 Replies

Derevon

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:35 am
Cyracuz wrote:

It never ceases to amaze how people who claim to have reason as their guiding star tend to continuously write ludicrous posts about Christianity being for weakminded fools, without any arguments whatsoever for their case, and often so even under subjects which are totally off topic.

They claim to be rational and intelligent, yet, ever so often, we see these completely irrational posts which basically say "Christians are morons, and that's it."

What do posts like these contribute to the subject? It's like saying "You are wrong because you are a stupid Christian", and then leave it at that. It's nothing but sheer denigration of a faith. If I were a moderator I certainly wouldn't tolerate posts of such a low level.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:48 am
Deveron, if you had written, what do you mean by such a provoking remark, and THEN gone on to what's in your post, I wouldn't be able to say that your post applies to you too.

Your opinion is that christianity is good, so on that grounds my opinion is worthless crap? You didn't stop to think about what I could mean about devilworship.

The thing is that arguments don't work on religious people. If they did there would be no christians in the entire world.

Deveron wrote:
Quote:
It's nothing but sheer denigration of a faith.

Funny you should say that. I would say that to challenge a beliefsystem is what holds faith strong and pure. To swallow it and not question the system does not make for strong individuals. It is infinitely more degenerating to faith than to forswear all belief systems and seek god on your own terms.

Yes, I am rational and intelligent. If you cannot read anything more into my posts than "christians are morons and that's that", then you are actually proving such a statement to be true. But it didn't come from my mouth, but yours. Don't be so hard on yourself.
0 Replies