U.S. Troops Must Not Be at the Mercy of the ICC

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 05:04 pm
georgeob1 wrote:

However it is really Irish women that I fear the most. (And I am Irish.)

And I've thought, you were American :wink:
0 Replies

gav

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 05:16 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Instead I prudently take note of the all too widespread preudicies Canadians and Frenchmen express about my country.

France and Canada DON'T have "widespread prejudicies" against Ireland - so you are very obviously NOT Irish. Gobshite!!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 05:20 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:

And I've thought, you were American :wink:

Well I am. However this is a point about Americans which people of other countries often find difficult to understand.about Americans We are often intensely identified with and proud of our national origins and, at the same time, proud of being Americans. Where I grew up, almost no one on the street answered the question "What are you?" by saying I'm an American. Instead it was :I'm Irish" , I'm a Slovac"; "I'm Polish";"I'm Jewish" or "I'm Italian", "I'm a Greek" or "I'm a German". If you tried to get away with "I'm an American", you had to be tough. It was the Poles and the Italians with whom we had the most intense rivalries - I don't know why, however, We aere always being encouraged to go out with Irish girls, but I always preferred the more exotic Greeks, itailans and Jews.
0 Replies

gav

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 05:24 pm
georgeob1 wrote:

Well I am. However this is a point about Americans which people of other countries often find difficult to understand.about Americans We are often intensely identified with and proud of our national origins and, at the same time, proud of being Americans. Where I grew up, almost no one on the street answered the question "What are you?" by saying I'm an American. Instead it was :I'm Irish" , I'm a Slovac"; "I'm Polish";"I'm Jewish" or "I'm Italian", "I'm a Greek" or "I'm a German". If you tried to get away with "I'm an American", you had to be tough. It was the Poles and the Italians with whom we had the most intense rivalries - I don't know why, however, We aere always being encouraged to go out with Irish girls, but I always preferred the more exotic Greeks, itailans and Jews.

NO!!!, georgebob that doesn't make you Irish!!!
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 06:33 pm
Completely unrelated comment to G OB: it's Christmas coming up, and having to go to church and all, so want to apologize for mistaking you for a poseur at best until the second I read your comment about the terminals configuration - you did well to throw them out btw, similar terminals made contemporaneously by that company were way in excess of FCC radiation emission standards.

I regret the error. End of digression, tks for hospitality on this thread!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 07:32 pm
Well Gav, my parents were born there (Ardmore and Ennis). I'll decide what I am, not you.

If you would read the posts a little more carefully you will discover that the reference to "my country" was to the United States of America.

Who the hell are you??
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 07:45 pm
HofT wrote:
Completely unrelated comment to G OB: it's Christmas coming up, and having to go to church and all, so want to apologize for mistaking you for a poseur at best until the second I read your comment about the terminals configuration - you did well to throw them out btw, similar terminals made contemporaneously by that company were way in excess of FCC radiation emission standards.

I regret the error. End of digression, tks for hospitality on this thread!

Regrets unnecessary. You were a gas, and that's enough for me. I am no poseur, but don't worry much what others think.

Merry Christmas to you.
0 Replies

chris56789

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 03:06 am
Merry Christmas everyone!!
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 03:30 pm
Thanks, George and Chris, same to you.

George - caught up with Timber elsewhere on this site and thanked him (also on your behalf) for his hospitality. I hope his kid in Iraq (also USMC) is OK.
0 Replies